Chinese Weddings

Tea Ceremony?

Hello all!

I am newly engaged, planning a Sept '14 wedding on Cape Cod, MA. (I know, kind of far away to be planning, but I'm excited). My fiancee is Chinese, and I know it would mean a lot to his parents to have a tea ceremony. Does anyone have any tips to incorporate this into our day? I don't want to change dresses but I would like to do some version of it. 

Re: Tea Ceremony?

• I have heard of some people adding this tradition to the actual ceremony. My fiance and I decided to add it to the reception instead. We haven't decided on exactly when but we are thinking of having it shortly after the first course is served. That way everyone has had a little food and won't be distracted from this special part of the reception. Also, instead of serving mostly his side of the family, we are serving our grandparents and parents on both sides.

As far as the changing dresses part, you can do it if you want but it seems very costly to me. For the ceremony I am wearing an updated qi-pao style ivory dress. But another option is to consider older Chinese style dresses. You can always wear a modern dress somewhat hidden under a hanfu-style jacket and accessories for the ceremony. Then you can ditch the jacket & accessories for the reception so that you're free to dance!

Hope that was at least a little helpful.
  • I am doing my tea ceremony at the beginning of the reception. I will be wearing a white qi pao with gold dragons and phoenix. I prefer white color qi pao to a red color one.
  • Normally it's at home, finishing before noon, just with close family.

That's how we did ours; it definitely makes for a long day, though, if you're having your public ceremony and reception / banquet on the same day.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_chinese-weddings_tea-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:397Discussion:e531d500-e914-444c-ae58-d3e46ff9766ePost:c0359cc3-3d30-42d4-a0ed-c3c378b9e941">Re: Tea Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should read LINK REMOVED
    Posted by bestgiftsforwedding[/QUOTE]

<div>FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ANOTHER VENDOR!!  Why would anyone trust a vendor who can't even abide by the terms of service they agreed to when coming on the knot? You have advertised this link on every one of your posts. Reported. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards