California-Los Angeles

Anyone doing DIY Flowers from flower district?

I have a really tight budget of $800 for all of the flowers for the wedding so I'm thinking of making them myself. Is any one planning on buying flowers from the flower district downtown?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone doing DIY Flowers from flower district?

• I have thought about it, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time, help, or space (to keep the flowers cold & fresh).  I haven't even had the time to go Downtown to check out what they have.

My budget is only a little higher than yours and have found a few florists that have tried to work with me - Ninfa's Flowers and M's Flowers.

If you don't mind, let me know if you decide to do the flowers yourself and maybe it will help me decide whether I should do them myself too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_anyone-doing-diy-flowers-from-flower-district?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:c8e28ad0-38d5-4cf9-8040-17104332c577Post:abf41336-269b-4ef8-baaa-9685aa8939d3">Re: Anyone doing DIY Flowers from flower district?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have thought about it, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time, help, or space (to keep the flowers cold & fresh).  I haven't even had the time to go Downtown to check out what they have. My budget is only a little higher than yours and have found a few florists that have tried to work with me - Ninfa's Flowers and M's Flowers. If you don't mind, let me know if you decide to do the flowers yourself and maybe it will help me decide whether I should do them myself too.
    Posted by star623[/QUOTE]

<div>Sure! So far my MOH and 3 other BM agreed to help me. We are planning on buying live potted plants from a nursery early to decorate and keep in the backyard. We are thinking of buying the attendants' flowers the day b4 the wedding and make them in the morning b4 ceremony rehearsal. I'm hoping to store them in the fridge but I still need to do some research. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My best friend did this for her wedding.  It was a mess.  She ended up being so overwhelmed and not enjoying the days leading up to it.  And the flowers she got from there were not the greatest quality.  It got so bad she hired a florist a few days prior.  Is your wedding large?  My florist just did my sister's wedding for $800 or $1000.  Can't remember which but it looked amazing and she worked with her budget.  It doesn't hurt to contact a few and tell them your budget and thoughts and get an idea.  You want to enjoy your day :)  Anyway, her name is Christine from Amazing Arrangements.  www.amazingarrangements.com  I am using her for my upcoming wedding as well.  Good Luck whatever you decide!
  • Most of the women in my family have used the flower district flowers.  I get my boquet and bouts and i think  BM bouquet included in my venue package bit I'm definitely going to the Flower District for my centerpieces and other flowers I might need.  I personally dont have space in my house, but I have a lot of aunts who are going to help by letting me store them in their fridges.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_anyone-doing-diy-flowers-from-flower-district?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:c8e28ad0-38d5-4cf9-8040-17104332c577Post:31fc97ec-76ad-4234-b5c2-37beda915b06">Re: Anyone doing DIY Flowers from flower district?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend did this for her wedding.  It was a mess.  She ended up being so overwhelmed and not enjoying the days leading up to it.  And the flowers she got from there were not the greatest quality.  It got so bad she hired a florist a few days prior.  Is your wedding large?  My florist just did my sister's wedding for $800 or $1000.  Can't remember which but it looked amazing and she worked with her budget.  It doesn't hurt to contact a few and tell them your budget and thoughts and get an idea.  You want to enjoy your day :)  Anyway, her name is Christine from Amazing Arrangements.   <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.amazingarrangements.com">www.amazingarrangements.com</a>  I am using her for my upcoming wedding as well.  Good Luck whatever you decide!
    Posted by kayleebride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Hey thanks for that! My wedding's small, I'm guessing between 80-100 guests. My MOH made flowers for her sister's wedding before so she said she's going to help me. We are planning on purchasing all the centerpiece (potted plants) ahead of the time and decorate them early. 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did, and have absolutely no regrets.  I saved thousands of dollars, and got exactly what I wanted.

I did a trial run, and then ordered all of my flowers from a vendor the week before I needed them.  

All of the flowers were waiting in buckets the morning they were picked up, and they wheeled them out to the street for us so we didn't have to take them to the parking garage at Moskatel's.  

Off the top of my head I can't remember how many flowers I ordered, but we had at least 15 buckets of flowers including 2 colors of pink gerber daisies, pink and fuschia roses, hypericum (sp?) berries, etc. I want to say that we paid about $600.

It made:
    20 centerpieces, 2 altar arrangements, 24 aisle bouquets, bridesmaids bouquets, bouts for the guys, a manzanita placecard tree, 10 cocktail hour arrangements, and extras for the cake table, candy buffet, etc.  We also cut the entire stem off of a single gerber daisy to put on each silver charger. 

The only thing I didn't make was my bouquet.  If I knew now how easy it was, I would have made that myself too!

If you're willing to do your homework, it's totally doable and stress free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HI! We did this and couldn't have been happier!  We went 3 days before my wedding, bought everything that we needed! It was my first time to the flower district, never had time to do a trial run...  Everything was great there and they had everything we needed!  For 9 centerpieces, arch decorations, bouquets, bouttinares, flower petals (main flowers were orchids) all came to $400.  We stored the flowers in our 9 centerpiece vases, while a family friend put everything together for us.  He used to be a florist so it was so wonderful to have him!  Flowers stayed for 3 days in a very cold airconditioned room.  The bouquets stayed in the refidgeratior.  Everything looked amazing!  So happy I chose to go to the flower district!  So worth it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am planning on doing this for our wedding. I have done tons of events in the past for family and friends and always go to the flower mart for all my supplies. You can really save a lot of money if you stay determined and ask for a little help. A few tips when you go.
    1. Go before hand and get prices! There are tons of smaller shops areound the actual warehouses were you can price too. Everyone is basically competing so take your time and hagle a little. From my experience they will drop prices when you tell them the quantities you will be ordering. Same thing goes for vases and supplies.
    2. Do a trial run, you want to make sure that you can pull this off in the amount of time you have allotted yourself. You can YouTube videos of how to put togeter arrangements, bougqets and bouts.
    3. Be flexible, I know the flower mart is much cheaper, but keep in mind that some flowers are much more expensive than others, especially depending on what season it is and whats in season. For our upcoming wedding I've dedided to go with white hydragenas, babys breath and succulents. Not much maintenance at all and easy enough to where my maids and I wont be having bridal flower sweat shop sessions days prior to the wedding.
    4. RELAX, everything will be beautiful. If you find you cant tackle every arrangement of think it might be overwhelming, think about hiring a florist for some of the needs or purchasing ready made arrangements.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards