California-San Diego

Venue help!

First I gotta say, this website is AMAZING! So many helpful articles and people, so thank you all in advance!

I just got engaged last week and we plan to have the wedding August 16 2013.
Because it's only 4 months away we understand the urgency of booking things quickly, especially the venue(s). Obviously we can't really continue with our other projects until we have the venue picked out. Like sending out invitations ASAP is a must because it's going to be out of state.
Ugh, anyways... we need HELP please! Embarassed

Our budget is low... $5,000 for the wedding, total. But we also don't wan't to get married underneath a bridge lol.
The other thing is that we would really like to have alcohol at our wedding. We won't be serving cocktails or anything. We plan on getting a couple of kegs. So the location would have to allow for that as well. We don't plan on serving dinner so a catering requirement is definitely out, unless they will only force us to serve cheap appetizers.

The ceremony we plan to be small (immediate family only) and the reception is where everyone else would be invited. This of course can change depending on the location, and we are more than willing to use 2 locations if it ends up being the best option, financially.

We are open to any ideas/suggestions. Outdoors would be preferred for the reception and could go either way for the ceremony. Thank you all so very much!!

... btw does everybody else have one hell of a time getting venues to freakin' CALL YOU BACK?! Good lord, I've called 6 specific venues every single day since Monday and only 1 person has called back. One place I actually spoke to a person and she told me she would email me all the details within an hour and confirmed my email address... she blew me off, never sent me an email or called me back lol. I just don't get it! Isn't this a large part of their business? Why would I trust them to host my wedding if they can't even return my constant phone calls / follow through with agreements. It's insane, is this :seriously: what planning a wedding is all about?! This alone should be reason enough for people to never divorce and re-marry! rofl!
 Tongue out

Thanks again! 

Jason & Vanessa

Re: Venue help!

• edited April 2013
    <div>Hello! Congrats on your engagement. Well if you're looking for a venue on a budget of 5,000, in San Diego, and you want an outdoor wedding I would say the beach or a park. There is also another beautiful place I visited to take sunset pictures its called Cabrillo National Monument or point loma light house. There was a small auditorium looking out at the Ocean. I have no idea how much it cost, but i thought I wish I found this place for my wedding. I have pictures I took with my iphone and DSLR if you want to see. just private message me.</div><div>
    </div><div>Another is Balboa park, Old Town San Diego, even the zoo offers wedding there. I have pictures of those areas as well. </div><div>
    </div><div>I got married in north county, Oceanside ca at the San Luis Rey Mission. The actual Mission is being renovated, but they built a chapel next to it. Very beautiful. Back then it was 1,000 + for non parishioners. I have no idea how much it is now. </div><div>
    </div><div>In Old Town Oceanside there was a gazebo in there. The Mission is down the street where you can also book the reception. </div><div>
    </div><div>I live in Chula Vista and there are amazing parks in the newly developed areas. They have small venue areas in each community. I don't know if you have to know someone who lives in that community to book a spot, but its something to look into. Hope this helps! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_venue-help-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:878c6b8e-f806-417d-a96b-9a5520245a63Post:2018cced-5fc0-4e14-b833-3edcb9903724">Venue help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]First I gotta say, this website is AMAZING! So many helpful articles and people, so thank you all in advance! I just got engaged last week and we plan to have the wedding August 16 2013. Because it's only 4 months away we understand the urgency of booking things quickly, especially the venue(s). Obviously we can't really continue with our other projects until we have the venue picked out. Like sending out invitations ASAP is a must because it's going to be out of state. Ugh, anyways... we need HELP please! Our budget is low... $5,000 for the wedding, total. But we also don't wan't to get married underneath a bridge lol. The other thing is that we would really like to have alcohol at our wedding. We won't be serving cocktails or anything. We plan on getting a couple of kegs. So the location would have to allow for that as well. We don't plan on serving dinner so a catering requirement is definitely out, unless they will only force us to serve cheap appetizers. The ceremony we plan to be small (immediate family only) and the reception is where everyone else would be invited. This of course can change depending on the location, and we are more than willing to use 2 locations if it ends up being the best option, financially. We are open to any ideas/suggestions. Outdoors would be preferred for the reception and could go either way for the ceremony. Thank you all so very much!! ... btw does everybody else have one hell of a time getting venues to freakin' CALL YOU BACK?! Good lord, I've called 6 specific venues every single day since Monday and only 1 person has called back. One place I actually spoke to a person and she told me she would email me all the details within an hour and confirmed my email address... she blew me off, never sent me an email or called me back lol. I just don't get it! Isn't this a large part of their business? Why would I trust them to host my wedding if they can't even return my constant phone calls / follow through with agreements. It's insane, is this :seriously: what planning a wedding is all about?! This alone should be reason enough for people to never divorce and re-marry! rofl!   Thanks again!  Jason & Vanessa
    Posted by Java81613[/QUOTE]
  • Hey thanks for all of the information!
    Do you happen to know if there is anyway to get a permit to have alcohol on a beach or at a park? Maybe if we restricted the area for a few hours or something?
  • <div>No sorry I don't. As far as I know everything is dry except for Breakers beach, but that's on a Naval Base. Parks I don't think you need one, but you would have to contact the park custodians. </div><div> </div><div>In the last post you mentioned you didn't get any call backs. Have you gone to the places? I usually just show up or call at different times of the day. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_venue-help-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:878c6b8e-f806-417d-a96b-9a5520245a63Post:5cea947c-2dc6-492d-a9fe-642c2ee0f9c7">Re: Venue help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey thanks for all of the information! Do you happen to know if there is anyway to get a permit to have alcohol on a beach or at a park? Maybe if we restricted the area for a few hours or something?
  • Hey. For the most part you are not allowed to have any open containers on the beach. For the OTL (Over the Line) tourney at fiesta Island I know they are allowed to have alch. Were you able to find a venue? If you are still looking let me know. I am pretty sure I know of a couple since we helped a couple looking for one yesterday. There date was Aug 24 so We still have a list of the ones available around the date you are looking for but trust me most things are fully booked.:( I hope you are one of the couples that already have their venue booked since it is hectic for those that are still looking. There are still plenty of places left just need to know where to look. Have a great day. :)I
    n Response to Re: Venue help!:
    [QUOTE]No sorry I don't. As far as I know everything is dry except for Breakers beach, but that's on a Naval Base. Parks I don't think you need one, but you would have to contact the park custodians.    In the last post you mentioned you didn't get any call backs. Have you gone to the places? I usually just show up or call at different times of the day.  In Response to Re: Venue help! :
    Posted by mudslide115[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to Re: Venue help!:
    [QUOTE]No sorry I don't. As far as I know everything is dry except for Breakers beach, but that's on a Naval Base. Parks I don't think you need one, but you would have to contact the park custodians.    In the last post you mentioned you didn't get any call backs. Have you gone to the places? I usually just show up or call at different times of the day.  In Response to Re: Venue help! :
    Posted by mudslide115[/QUOTE]

No we don't live in San Diego. We actually live in Oregon so it's kinda tough to just walk in lol =P
    [QUOTE]Hey. For the most part you are not allowed to have any open containers on the beach. For the OTL (Over the Line) tourney at fiesta Island I know they are allowed to have alch. Were you able to find a venue? If you are still looking let me know. I am pretty sure I know of a couple since we helped a couple looking for one yesterday. There date was Aug 24 so We still have a list of the ones available around the date you are looking for but trust me most things are fully booked.:( I hope you are one of the couples that already have their venue booked since it is hectic for those that are still looking. There are still plenty of places left just need to know where to look. Have a great day. :)I n Response to Re: Venue help! :
    Posted by BubbleGuy619[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response!
    Fortunately we have found our venue. I am actually signing the contract today! I really appreciate you willing to help us out though! =D

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue help! : Thanks for the response! Fortunately we have found our venue. I am actually signing the contract today! I really appreciate you willing to help us out though! =D

Congrats on booking your venue! Where did you end up choosing? Venue selection was the hardest part of the process for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm curious to know as well - where did you book your venue?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards