Canada-Ontario

Wedding dress alterations

I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations for dress alterations. I'd prefer not to do it at the bridal shop (I think they overcharge since they know every bride needs to get it done) Or have people found the prices reasonable in bridal shops?

Any recommendations/advice/suggestions in Toronto/GTA would be much appreciated! I have not bought a dress yet (close to!) so I havent really inquired about alterations at any of the shops I've been in.

Thanks =)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding dress alterations

• I would recommend Bea Shawn Fashions in Brampton. They are a bridal salon, but if you get your dress from there (at regular price) you get free alterations.

The sales ladies are very nice and helpful!

I got my dress from there, and am just waiting for it to come in.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Where do you live?  I had mine done with a lady named Belmira, she was an independent tailor/seamstress who did fittings/consultations at the Coach House in Waterdown. She was great and reasonably priced.

At the Coach House they don't do the actual alterations, you can either use their recommended seamstress (Belmira) or take your dress elsewhere.  Her prices were good and I liked her so I used her.

I haven't heard of bridal shops specifically over-charging people. Just ask up front what their prices are - they should have a standard list of prices for a hem, taking in side seams, adding cups, etc.  (of course this may change if you have lace or other details that need extra work) - they should give you a quote up front and then you can go around and compare.  I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the bridal store alterations people.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:e7be12f9-8e4f-4817-91a9-3c3bc743565d">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where do you live?  I had mine done with a lady named Belmira, she was an independent tailor/seamstress who did fittings/consultations at the Coach House in Waterdown. She was great and reasonably priced. At the Coach House they don't do the actual alterations, you can either use their recommended seamstress (Belmira) or take your dress elsewhere.  Her prices were good and I liked her so I used her. I haven't heard of bridal shops specifically over-charging people. Just ask up front what their prices are - they should have a standard list of prices for a hem, taking in side seams, adding cups, etc.  (of course this may change if you have lace or other details that need extra work) - they should give you a quote up front and then you can go around and compare.  I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the bridal store alterations people.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

Ditto what Naomi said!

You can check out Pom Penner - she comes highly recommended from a couple of other bridal forums by quite a number of brides.
  • I live in Barrie, there's a woman who does alterations out of her home (her name is Anthi 705726-3472) My MOH got her wedding dress done and I've had two bridesmaid dresses altered by her. She does great work is and much cheaper than anywhere else I've checked.
    good luck

• Thanks guys. I guess I've never really asked but figured it could be expensive (or maybe I'm too scared to ask? haha)

I'm located in Toronto, so would prefer to find somewhere in./around the city. I've heard of Pom Penner too so I may check her out if/when the time comes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    Irene's Studio on Bayview in Toronto - she was great and well priced!
  • Beckers Bridals on the Danforth actually offered me a 10% discount if I were to have bought a dress for my Sept 29 wedding since they are so busy in the summer months and don't want the alterations business... food for thought! I didn't end up getting my dress there though. Found a beauty at The Brides Project! Just sayin... ;)

http://www.thebridesproject.com/
  • Beckers referred me to As you Like It on Avenue Rd. They were good, but not cheap (I needed a lot of alterations to my lace dress)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:97472cd2-2b0c-4797-9bce-9fcca9ec5a93">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beckers referred me to As you Like It on Avenue Rd. They were good, but not cheap (I needed a lot of alterations to my lace dress)
    Posted by emmuffy[/QUOTE]

If you dont mind me asking, how much (approx) did your alterations cost? The dress I have in mind has a lot of lace
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:4dbfe247-4bd5-4f62-b160-5c9b023d731e">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beckers Bridals on the Danforth actually offered me a 10% discount if I were to have bought a dress for my Sept 29 wedding since they are so busy in the summer months and don't want the alterations business... food for thought! I didn't end up getting my dress there though. Found a beauty at The Brides Project! Just sayin... ;) <a href="http://www.thebridesproject.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.thebridesproject.com/</a>
    Posted by witttybride[/QUOTE]

Sorry, to clarify - was it 10% to take the alteration elsewhere..or just 10% off to buy the dress regardless?

I've heard for the Brides Project - yet to check it out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:658e1ba3-d414-428f-a044-15c900e43026">Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations for dress alterations. I'd prefer not to do it at the bridal shop (I think they overcharge since they know every bride needs to get it done) Or have people found the prices reasonable in bridal shops? Any recommendations/advice/suggestions in Toronto/GTA would be much appreciated! I have not bought a dress yet (close to!) so I havent really inquired about alterations at any of the shops I've been in. Thanks =)
    Posted by vchan4[/QUOTE]

If you are up for a drive, there is this lady in St. Catherines that does great work and she is so cheap you feel like your not giving her enough money.   My friend got her wedding dress done, and it was shortened, bustled and a bra was sewed into the dress.  She got charged $60.... its insane!  Message me if you want her info
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In terms of prices, I think mine was $100 hem, $100 bustle, $80 side seams, $30 to put an applique on, $15 to sew cups in.
  • Definitely check out Brides' Project - loved the service there and the gowns are stunning.  So many to choose from.  Also check out Windfall Bridal - they also donate their proceeds to charity. Also consider buying a sample off the rack.  I got my dress from Sophie's Gowne Shoppe for 40% off!  And the service was fabulous there.

Also check out this link: http://www.bestforbride.com/alterations.php.  They list their alterations on their webpage.

Again, check out Pom Penner - I've seen her work.  She took a bride's grandmother's wedding gown and totally restyled it to fit the bride.  Stunning work!
  • If I bought the dress I was interested in and went elsewhere for the alts, they'd take 10% off.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:f285e4a7-a9fb-4768-81ca-7181a350989d">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding dress alterations : If you dont mind me asking, how much (approx) did your alterations cost? The dress I have in mind has a lot of lace
    Posted by vchan4[/QUOTE]

$500
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:aced71ef-6c18-4e58-aff2-d0ef3194f7d7">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding dress alterations : $500

I should add that my alterations were very extensive. The dress was shortened (complicated with lace), and taken in everywhere from the bust down to the knees. The bust was actually taken in twice. The straps were shortened as well and an elastic was added to keep them up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_wedding-dress-alterations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:2b5b83fc-57d6-4f83-ab5a-135b2acfe537Post:9fe7bc0f-b8b4-422f-adb6-8abf02b10ca3">Re: Wedding dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding dress alterations : I should add that my alterations were very extensive. The dress was shortened (complicated with lace), and taken in everywhere from the bust down to the knees. The bust was actually taken in twice. The straps were shortened as well and an elastic was added to keep them up.

For the dress I have in mind,  I'll have to do similar alterations as you and there is lace involved too.
    Thanks for the info! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RowenaDRowenaD member
    First Comment
    I have to say the experience at the Brides Project was awesome found my hair piece there. I wanted to find my dress there but had no luck. But would recomend it to anyone.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Wedding dress alterations:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding dress alterations : If you are up for a drive, there is this lady in St. Catherines that does great work and she is so cheap you feel like your not giving her enough money.   My friend got her wedding dress done, and it was shortened, bustled and a bra was sewed into the dress.  She got charged $60.... its insane!  Message me if you want her info
    Posted by paulandjen2012[/QUOTE]

If you still have the contact information for her it would be greatly appreciated... my daughter is maybe thinking about using my wedding dress but wants to make it her own...  

thanks in advance Leona
  • does anyone have Pom Penner's contact?

• I live in Barrie, there's a woman who does alterations out of her home (her name is Anthi 705726-3472) My MOH got her wedding dress done and I've had two bridesmaid dresses altered by her. She does great work is and much cheaper than anywhere else I've checked.
    good luck

Thanks so much for this! My dress is coming in over the winter and I'd rather not use the insanely priced store alterations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards