Maine

Anybody else getting married at Ski Esta house in Newry, Maine?

We are planning our Sept 2011wedding at the Ski Esta and I would love to chat with and share ideas with other brides who are doing the same.   I'll start with some details on our wedding and where we are at with the planning.

We are inviting 60 guests total, which includes 10 children.  We are using the Good Food Store as our caterer and have hired a NH photographer.  I am going to use a wedding planner (finally got the green light - yay!) to be there for the day so I don't have to worry about setting up, breaking down, decorating, etc.  We are still working on finding our rentals, linens, DJ and florist.  My biggest challenge is deciding how I want to decorate the living room so it looks more "wedding-y" but doesn't take away from the beauty of the house.   I am hoping for good weather so we can set the cocktail reception up outside on the deck and have a late night smore's bar. 

I'm curious to hear what ideas other people have for the house.  
Married 9.4.11

Re: Anybody else getting married at Ski Esta house in Newry, Maine?

• jdenormandiejdenormandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That place is gorgeous! I've never been there, but ive seen photos.  You must be sooo excited. Who did you hire for your photographer?
  • edited December 2011
    I think I am almost as excited to stay in the house as I am to get married!  Well that might be a big of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.  :)  We hired Birch Blaze Photography out of NH.  They are a husband and wife team and are newer to doing wedding photography, but I love their work.   Are you a Maine bride as well?
    Married 9.4.11
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maine bride here as well. We are having the ceremony at the Artists covered bridge, and the reception at the Jordan Hotel @ Sunday River.

Ill be looking for a hair person soon, will post something if I find something worth sharing :)
  • edited December 2011
    Excellent, thank you!   We considered having the ceremony at the bridge too, but are leaning towards keeping it at the house.  What was the rental fee out of curiosity?  When is your date?
    Married 9.4.11
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no rental fee. just need to call the town hall and they pencil you in. there is no promise that other people wont be there, as it is a public space...however, if they have you in the calander they will let other people who inquire know about it.
  • edited December 2011
    im getting married at ski esta in newry,me also! our date is 02/12/11. we are having around 50 people, 8 being kids.i want to use as much as the furniture there so we will be using the two large tables and make one large table with a few small rounds in the corners of the dining room. we are going to get married in the great room, im going to get walnut benches for the guests( easy to move for cocktail hour) our colors are browns and some copper tones. Ive been slacking the past 2 months or so in finishing more details of our wedding but so far i have a wedding planner, melanie from blissful beginnings in NH, we chose to use black tie co out of portland,me for our food, we will be having a jazz band, the delta knights from ME, our cake will be made by a family member who owns a cake shop ( how lucky am i ! :) ), as for rentals im not a hundred percent who i will be using but rumor has it a nice rental shop is opening a branch in portland,me soon so we will see! if not maybe levitt and paris, our photographer will be debbie harmon photography from ME, i also am hiring a cigar roller for the guys at the wedding for a cigar and whiskey table up on the balcony where the guys can smoke them up on the roof if they choose too or just take home for later. im also going to have a ice luge at the bar and and a raw bar on an ice display. im trying to bring winter in without using snowflakes and such, im even going to have ice mugs and shot glasses, and sorbet cubes made of ice for an intermezzo at dinner. im also going to make our favors at  incredibrew in nashua,nh. we are going to make a bottle of red wine maybe a ice wine im thinking. still thinking about flowers too, i might order wholesale calla lillies and put them everywhere in vases, also maybe some orchids but will have bouqets made and some other stuff. im also going to be making my own centerpices Rustic Candle Tree | How Did I Do It? this has a picture of what they kinda llok like though i used oak branches instead, when im done ill post some pictures! well sorry for going on and on...i get excited talking about all the details
  • edited December 2011

I love all your details Amanda!  Would you mind sharing who your cigar roller is?  Also, where are you renting the walnut benches from ?  Our colors are very similar - I think they go best with the house.  Yay!  I love hearing all your ideas. 

Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, and I just looked up those candle trees.  VERY cool!  I'd love to see pictures and who knows - maybe I'll be looking to buy them from you afterwards.  :) 
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    we are going to book boston cigar factory out of boston,ma. there arent alot in this area but they are willing to travel up. the cost for 50 cigars with travel and stuff is around 750 but i think its one of those details people wont forget. Event Cigar Rollers - Hand Rolled Cigars | Boston Cigar  ill post some pictures of my centerpieces when im done... glad to find other ski esta brides! 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I agree it is a great detail - especially if the guys like Cigars.  I wanted to do this, but couldn't find anyone local.  It's good to know these guys travel.  That's not too bad of a price considering 50 cigars are included.  I'll have to consider this again.  It will either be this or I'll be setting up a Scotch and Cigar Bar.  The interactiveness of the cigar rolling is pretty cool though.

I am excited to find other brides too!  The house is just great and I am so looking forward to our time there.  Oh yeah, where are you getting the walnut benches from again?

Thanks!  Christine
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    Hey everyone, I am currently looking for a place to get married in teh fall of 2012 and was wondering if you could tell me if there was a limit on the number of guests you could have to the house for a wedding at SkiEsta?
  • edited December 2011
    im not sure if there is an actual number that limits you but how many guests are you looking on having?  
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they have a limit, but you will be limited on the space.  We are having 60 guests and it will be tight fitting everyone in the dining room, although you can probably fit more with long tables.  You could potentially spill over into the living room or out on the deck, but the logistics might be tough and the deck would be weather dependent.  The yard doesn't really work for a tented event either.  There is another house in Bethel called The Glen House.  It is a smaller house but it has a huge yard and a lot of people do tented weddings there, and then there is no limit! 
    Married 9.4.11
  • Tegan44Tegan44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  I am also getting married at Ski Esta.  We are getting married in Oct 2011.  I was wondering if you ended up boking the Cigar Roller for your wedding and which company to find to travel there.  I think it is a great idea and would love to surprise my fiance!

Thanks so much... hope your wedding planning is going wel!
  • Tegan44Tegan44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey amanda!  looks like you are getting married soon.  ski esta will be gorgeous!  i m getting married there next fall.  did you end up going with the walnut benches, and if so, where did you get them from?

thank you and congrats!
  • where can you rent the benches from?? I am getting married in Nov. and would like to rent benches however im not sure where i can get them from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards