Maine

Lets Talk about Cake....

So, what is everyone doing for cake? as a Bride on a SUPER small budget, I am struggling with finding a budget friendly baker

Re: Lets Talk about Cake....

• We are going with y-lime's cupcakes... mini's in four flavors. Delicious and affordable.
    Just my two cents! Penny L G M
  • Have you considered having a small round cake for display/cutting and a sheet cake out back for serving?  Those are usually much cheaper because they're not decorated as much as a normal cake would be.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Not sure where you are but The Cookie Jar does cakes for half price what I've seen anywhere else. $350-$400 for 150 people. Or you could do a small one with a sheet cake out back for like $200 I think. Not sure if that's in your range. But Donna is so nice and their cakes taste so good! Lemon cake with raspberry filling :)
  • we are using bakes like a parrot, she is amaziing! I thought her prices were cheap for what we are getting...she is setting up the display and everything for us! We are doing 5 different kinds of mini cupcakes, cannolis and then we asked if we could give her some homemade items and she said she would encorporate whatever we made into the display!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_lets-talk-about-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:5ac8335d-b433-4185-ae87-66b383010c19Post:fa94c270-2759-4f83-9f6b-9cac4e55f348">Re: Lets Talk about Cake....</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are using bakes like a parrot, she is amaziing! I thought her prices were cheap for what we are getting...she is setting up the display and everything for us! We are doing 5 different kinds of mini cupcakes, cannolis and then we asked if we could give her some homemade items and she said she would encorporate whatever we made into the display!
    Posted by mafyler[/QUOTE]

That's who I used for a traditional cake.  We ended up splurging on a few things, but our cake was only like $450 with 3 different flavors and it fed 120.  We could have done it for about $100 less but we added a few extras that brought up the cost.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've been working with Katie Made ... she has been so amazing with budgets and getting what we want.  She's doing two cakes for us for something like $180.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • charfield4charfield4 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We are doing cupcakes instead of cake.  So much cheaper just as cute and delicious!  We are using Cakes Extraordinare, which are my favorite cupcakes in Portland.

There is also a place called Good Eats Boutique that promotes people who bake out of their homes.  I have seen some beautiful cakes in the window.  I recommend visiting and see what options they have.
  • I was actually thinking of going the route of a small wedding cake and then sheet cake out back- but then we decided to buy the groupon offer for Wedding cake! 
  • I got lucky. My mom's firend at work does cakes on the side and she is awesome. She did my sister-in-law's baby shower cake and then my birthday cake. My mom is paying only like 150 then the cost of the cake mix (which I can get for very cheap because I coupon). But she is doing any design I want. I found some cute things on pinterest.
    If I were going through a baker IDK what I would do because they are so expensive. My brother spent 450 on a cake that was suppose to feed 150 people but it didnt even taste good so no one had any.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did a fake cake. It was three tiers, but only the top tier was actually cake. The bottom two were styrofoam. Then it's all frosted like a normal cake. After you cut the cake (top tier), they take it in back to cut it, and then they actually cut and serve sheet cake.

We used Heavenly Delights out of Augusta because she was the closest place that did the fake cakes, and see was amazing. She is very talented at decorating, her cake was very delicious, and her prices are so reasonable. She bakes out of her house.
  • We are using Cranberry Island Kitchen and doing a small cake for myself and hubby-to-be and then doing individual gourmet whoopie pies and sand-dollar cookies for the guests. Super yummy and super cute for our coastal wedding. VERY affordable too!
  • I was impressed with the prices at European Bakery, given how high quality everything is.  We're having three different flavors for our three layers, and I am coming in below my cake budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards