Missouri-Kansas City

Wedding under $5,000?

My fiance and I are on a very strict budget. We're planning and paying for everything ourselves. Most of it is DIY, which I don't mind at all (I actually enjoy the work and uniqueness). The most difficult part is finding a ceremony/reception venue. We'd like somewhere we can bring in our own food and alcohol. The closest I've found that meets most needs is around $2,000. The only reservation I have about them is I've found a couple bad reviews. Any good suggestions? Any other "money saving tricks" would be appreciated also!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding under $5,000?

• kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

What venue are you looking at?
    Other ideas:
    -do an appetizers and dessert only reception!  I had a late wedding with both apps and dinner and people said they ate so much before dinner they were too full to eat it all!  I could have saved A LOT by cutting out dinner and adding a few more apps. 
    -check out Wedding Classifieds for things you need for a lot less then buying it new.
    -invite only necessary guests....family you regularly see and talk to, friends you've seen within the past year, etc. 
    -Keep the flowers simple...single stems for the BM's with a flowing ribbon hanging down, you can even go silk if you can't afford real flowers. 
    -Borrow jewerly, veil, shoes, whatever you can!
    -Buy a pre-worn dress from oncewed.com, knot classifieds, etc. 
    For alcohol do wine, kegs, and maybe just one signature alcoholic drink.  Go to Gomer's...you get a bulk discount and you can return anything that is unopened. 
    -Skip the favors!

• edited December 2011
    I live in the Overland Park area so I looked in this region. Not sure if you were looking here too but these are some places I looked at that were cheaper than $2k-

Parkway West (there is a link on here) - $1000 and includes chairs and tables, etc. Located on Shawnee Mission Parkway. It fits a good amount of people and has a good parking lot. There is a small patio but if you wanted to do the reception there you would have to do it inside or on the patio. You bring in your own stuff.

Leawood Community Center - Oak Room - for a non-resident it is $1300 for 8 hours, and fits over 200 guests. Includes tables, chairs etc. You bring in your own stuff.

I am having mine at--- Peeper Ranch - A working horse ranch in Lenexa. It is $1000 for the whole day, and they are letting me have my rehearsal the night before for no charge. They let you do just about anything, bring in your own stuff, and if you serve alcohol they don't require a licensed bartender like other places or security. They have an outdoor gazebo with a pond next to it for outdoor ceremonies or you could have it indoors. The only issue with this place is they don't include tables and chairs. You would have to rent which (depending on how many guests) could run you just a couple extra hundred. But still cheaper than $2k.

I can give you more info on Peeper Ranch if you are interested. If you want to contact them, Teresa Beers is the one to get ahold of!

GOOD LUCK!
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! DH and I actually had a 5k budget to start with as well. I highly recommend Chapel Ridge Banquet Center in Lee's summit, they are gorgeous and wonderful to work with. They are very flexible and will allow you to bring in your own food and non-alcoholic drinks, but not the alcohol. If you're willing to have your wedding on an off day (Sunday thru Thursday), they only cost $350 for the first 3 hours and 75 for each additional hour. Overall they only cost us $500 for the whole reception, and they do not charge you for clean-up or set-up. There are no other events scheduled on your day, so you have the entire day to set up and clean up as you need. Even though you can't bring in your own alcohol, their alcohol is not unreasonably priced. Good luck!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I'm pretty new to the boards.  :)  (like 2 weeks new!)  But, we've already booked ours for next year and wanted a place like what you are looking for - Ceremony & Reception at the same place.   I would recommend checking out (and actually going to) the Artis Event Center, Kansas City, MO.  They are fairly new to the industry and have had just a few weddings - but, the cost is SUPER reasonable and below $2k. The place is actually a photography studio and it's really unique and different from other places.  I've been envisioning the entire event and I already love what it's going to look like when I am done with decorations.  (there are no restrictions on decorations - so long as whatever is done is not permanent.)   I'd check it out!!
  • Hey there!  I am also trying to plan my receptioin in KC.  I couldnt find this venue any where on google...  Is there a website or a phone number?

Thank you!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-under-5000?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:a23887bb-aa2d-4bc7-9dae-27c5a35f5c8ePost:aed2b743-a79b-4580-9e21-717b5f3a1d4c">Re: Wedding under $5,000?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! I'm pretty new to the boards.  :)  (like 2 weeks new!)  But, we've already booked ours for next year and wanted a place like what you are looking for - Ceremony & Reception at the same place.   I would recommend checking out (and actually going to) the Artis Event Center, Kansas City, MO.  They are fairly new to the industry and have had just a few weddings - but, the cost is SUPER reasonable and below $2k. The place is actually a photography studio and it's really unique and different from other places.  I've been envisioning the entire event and I already love what it's going to look like when I am done with decorations.  (there are no restrictions on decorations - so long as whatever is done is not permanent.)   I'd check it out!!
    Posted by JameK929[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards