New York-Western

Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE!

I live in the Buffalo area and me and my fiance are having a hard time finding a place to get married. Our reception will be at Classics V but we do not want the ceremony there. We have an officiant that we would like to use but no place... We have called quite a few places and either you have to book the reception with them as well or they cannot accommodate the amount of people. (appx. 200)

Any ideas anyone PLEASE!!Cool

Re: Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE!

• deecee79deecee79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Oppenheim Park which is down the road from Classics V or Tonawanda Creek, they both might have like 'community' areas that you could access for a low fee ?
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What are you looking for? Outside/Inside, park, some place you have to esemble or something they set up, by the water, in a park???
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    indoors because the wedding is 4/9. I called Avanti Mansion we have an appmt to check it out but they want to charge 1200$ for 2 hrs!
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

How many do the places hold?  I know that we have probably about 225 coming to the reception, but I'm not expecting more than 100 to come to the church.  If you have a few hours between ceremony and reception then there's a good chance not everyone will come to the ceremony.  I've been to a wedding where the ceremony was inside the room at Classics and it was very nice.  I think a lot of places that are just ceremony sites are going to be too small, or not willing to book the day or night for just a ceremony if they can get a reception that day.  I know the Buffalo Launch Club on Grand Island is really pretty, and has a room that looks out over the water, but I don't know if they do ceremonies there.  It's also a room they use for receptions so I don't know if they would let you book.  Sorry if I'm not more help.  Good luck!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • pandasquishypandasquishy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_ceremony-venue-ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:ebce2863-b7eb-475b-a046-23fc9cb08f24Post:55622c23-7790-47cd-af3c-9f8a881b54e7">Re: Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many do the places hold?  I know that we have probably about 225 coming to the reception, but I'm not expecting more than 100 to come to the church.  If you have a few hours between ceremony and reception then there's a good chance not everyone will come to the ceremony.  I've been to a wedding where the ceremony was inside the room at Classics and it was very nice.  I think a lot of places that are just ceremony sites are going to be too small, or not willing to book the day or night for just a ceremony if they can get a reception that day.  I know the Buffalo Launch Club on Grand Island is really pretty, and has a room that looks out over the water, but I don't know if they do ceremonies there.  It's also a room they use for receptions so I don't know if they would let you book.  Sorry if I'm not more help.  Good luck!
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>There's a couple things wrong with this:  Since you would be inviting everyone to both the ceremony and reception, you need to plan for 100% attendance.  You don't want to only have seating for 100 and suddenly 200 show up.  You don't want to make your guests mad by making them stand.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, a gap of a few hours between the ceremony and reception is considered very poor etiquette.  You don't need a gap anyway.  Ceremony ends, you take pictures for 60-90 minutes while the guests head over the the cocktail hour of the reception.  You arrive, have your entrance, party starts.  You don't want to leave your guests with nothing to do, <em>especially</em> for multiple hours.

</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_ceremony-venue-ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:ebce2863-b7eb-475b-a046-23fc9cb08f24Post:7f72b39b-22f7-4b50-99b2-0959360012be">Re: Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE! : There's a couple things wrong with this:  Since you would be inviting everyone to both the ceremony and reception, you need to plan for 100% attendance.  You don't want to only have seating for 100 and suddenly 200 show up.  You don't want to make your guests mad by making them stand. Also, a gap of a few hours between the ceremony and reception is considered very poor etiquette.  You don't need a gap anyway.  Ceremony ends, you take pictures for 60-90 minutes while the guests head over the the cocktail hour of the reception.  You arrive, have your entrance, party starts.  You don't want to leave your guests with nothing to do, especially for multiple hours.
    Posted by pandasquishy[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know about the expect 100% thing, I realy don't know why I suggested it, but I guess more just if she is desperate for a place.  Personally though I would be shocked to see everyone at our ceremony.  Maybe its just weddings I've been to but there's always way less people at the ceremony than the reception. 

And we have a 3 hour gap in start times, ceremony at 3, cocktail hour at 6.  We were kind of limited in choices since we are getting married in Catholic church and we have to start by a certain time, and we don't want to start our cockttail hour or dinner too early.  I don't think that's too long at all, and I don't think I've ever been to a wedding that had a shorted length in between, unless it was in the same location. 

OP- can I ask why you don't want to do your ceremony at Classics? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we are having our ceremony at shea's.  we are getting married at the top of the main staircase with everyone seated below.  they can do some creative things to accomodate people.

check it out.  the woman we met with, bobbi, was awesome.  it's $600 to rent for ceremony only.
  • edited December 2011
    Shea's is a gorgeous place for a ceremony!

pandasquishy... some Catholic Churches make it very difficult to not have a time gap between ceremony and reception. I don't think it's rude. Some guests might appreciate being able to bring children to the ceremony and not having to worry about getting a sitter for both ceremony and reception.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_ceremony-venue-ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:ebce2863-b7eb-475b-a046-23fc9cb08f24Post:0ac3e3fb-1d4c-4fb2-a108-39c66765ea37">Re: Ceremony Venue ideas PLEASE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shea's is a gorgeous place for a ceremony! pandasquishy... some Catholic Churches make it very difficult to not have a time gap between ceremony and reception. I don't think it's rude. Some guests might appreciate being able to bring children to the ceremony and not having to worry about getting a sitter for both ceremony and reception.
    Posted by tannab26[/QUOTE]

Exactly as said about the time with church.  There are few things I was particular with for our wedding.  One was the church, and one was having a dinner reception.  No Catholic ceremony and dinner reception has ever been held back to back that I've been to.  You need to be done at the church by a certain time for masses and reconciliation and things.  So if it makes me rude that I had to follow the church schedule and that I want to serve my guests a dinner and have an evening reception, then so be it. 

And I definitely agree on people enjoying the time between.  We have several people bringing their kids to the church and not the reception. 

Truly I think some people get too hung up on whats proper etiquette and not so much what guests enjoy.  I would probably hate being at a wedding where we had to sit for the ceremony, then sit around and mingle with people for over an hour while they went to take pictures and do whatever is necessary.  With a break in between people can go do what they want. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Burchfield Park in West Seneca.  They have this neat area with graduated stone seating.  Also, it's right next to a creek.  It's outdoors so you'll have to hope for good weather, but it's really pretty and inexpensive!   www.burchfieldnac.org
    8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards