New Jersey - South

Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering

Hi, Everyone-
I'm using the Moorestown Community House and am debating between the two approved caterers, Summit Catering and Vitarelli's Catering.  I've looked at past posts and saw that Summit Catering is phenomenal, but Vitarelli's Catering is not great.  But I wanted to put it out there and get any experiences or recommendations?  Thanks!

Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering

• I've never had Summit Catering, but Vitarelli's food is great (not sure about how they are to work with). If you want an idea of their food, their restaurant is on Kings Highway in Cherry Hill, near the library.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tori80Tori80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_moorestown-community-house-summit-catering-v-vitarellis-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:fe1f5c27-5a46-477d-b762-176258f8b192Post:e851bb07-5656-4560-8f2d-f7df9304534e">Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never had Summit Catering, but Vitarelli's food is great (not sure about how they are to work with). If you want an idea of their food, their restaurant is on Kings Highway in Cherry Hill, near the library.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yep, that's how Vitarelli's made it to the list; through thier food from the Cherry Hill restaurant.  I've only seen a few reviews on their catering, none of which built my confidence in working with them, and wanted to give them a fair shot through seeing if anyone else had a good experience with them.
  • Depends which Vitarelli. There is Catering by Vitarelli located in Pennsauken Country Club (my vendor) and her family @ Vitarelli Catering (where I accidentally went when I first met her). We were late meeting but she was still okay with it.

We chose Catering by Vitarelli over Summit for multiple reasons. 
    1. Summit was not personable-so business-like. 
    2. Friends of ours went to a wedding the month prior, we viewed the pics, and when showing us sample cakes, they showed us a cake from that wedding, but couldn't remember the bride and groom's name.
    3. Also when friends were at the wedding where Summit did, the wait staff was waiting in line to eat prior to all guests getting food.
    4. They're ridiculously priced differently in sit-down compared to buffet whereas Catering by Vitarelli was the same based on the package at the Collingswood Ballroom.
    5. Christina is phenomenal and offers insight to lots of things. She's sweet! Very personable right from the start and cared about us as a couple not as a business.

Our wedding isn't until December but from day one, she's been there for help. I stressed over flowers and she mentioned her florist--they were the best out of 6 other florisits.
    One of the coordinators at our venue actually chose Catering by Vitarelli for her own wedding..so for someone to choose them who works in the business, that says something.

The reason why Summit does get a lot is that they had packages tailored to the specific venue which was offered more recently though Catering by Vitarelli.

They're overall a GREAT GREAT family to work with and I highly recommend them.

Foods at each location was awesome!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_moorestown-community-house-summit-catering-v-vitarellis-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:128Discussion:fe1f5c27-5a46-477d-b762-176258f8b192Post:25c76cc1-582f-4c59-aa23-313bbf67c612">Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends which Vitarelli. There is Catering by Vitarelli located in Pennsauken Country Club (my vendor) and her family @ Vitarelli Catering (where I accidentally went when I first met her). We were late meeting but she was still okay with it. We chose Catering by Vitarelli over Summit for multiple reasons.  1. Summit was not personable-so business-like.  2. Friends of ours went to a wedding the month prior, we viewed the pics, and when showing us sample cakes, they showed us a cake from that wedding, but couldn't remember the bride and groom's name. 3. Also when friends were at the wedding where Summit did, the wait staff was waiting in line to eat prior to all guests getting food. 4. They're ridiculously priced differently in sit-down compared to buffet whereas Catering by Vitarelli was the same based on the package at the Collingswood Ballroom. 5. Christina is phenomenal and offers insight to lots of things. She's sweet! Very personable right from the start and cared about us as a couple not as a business. Our wedding isn't until December but from day one, she's been there for help. I stressed over flowers and she mentioned her florist--they were the best out of 6 other florisits. One of the coordinators at our venue actually chose Catering by Vitarelli for her own wedding..so for someone to choose them who works in the business, that says something. The reason why Summit does get a lot is that they had packages tailored to the specific venue which was offered more recently though Catering by Vitarelli. They're overall a GREAT GREAT family to work with and I highly recommend them. Foods at each location was awesome!!
    Posted by shtaycee5[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I just double checked--it is Catering by Vitarelli's located in Pennsauken Country Club. I cannot sing her praises enough</div>
  • Tori80Tori80 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_moorestown-community-house-summit-catering-v-vitarellis-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:fe1f5c27-5a46-477d-b762-176258f8b192Post:4ce698e2-5bdd-4446-a8ae-24515dbd5e28">Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering : I just double checked--it is Catering by Vitarelli's located in Pennsauken Country Club. I cannot sing her praises enough
    Posted by shtaycee5[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Didn't know about the difference.  Appreciate all the tips!
  • Due Amici caters that Moorestown Community House.  That's who we used and their food was awesome.  The service was perfect... I've got absolutely no complaints about them.

We used Vitarelli's for our engagement party and I'd say it was just okay.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Tori80Tori80 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_moorestown-community-house-summit-catering-v-vitarellis-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:fe1f5c27-5a46-477d-b762-176258f8b192Post:c3f0dfce-fd58-4e20-8fe7-43303b8f69ea">Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]Due Amici caters that Moorestown Community House.  That's who we used and their food was awesome.  The service was perfect... I've got absolutely no complaints about them. We used Vitarelli's for our engagement party and I'd say it was just okay.
    Posted by DPDnMe[/QUOTE]

THANKS!  i've been looking into them too.  everything is still a ways off in 2014.  so, i'll definitely look a little closer at Due Amici too!
  • I am looking at Vitarelli's and Summit as well, I would agree that Summit is not as personable and Viteralli seems to be more reasonable and easier to work with.  Can anyone give me anymore insight on these two?  I am making a deicions tomorrow!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_moorestown-community-house-summit-catering-v-vitarellis-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:fe1f5c27-5a46-477d-b762-176258f8b192Post:effd6828-bcb5-4322-892b-74532bfab104">Re: Moorestown Community House: Summit Catering v. Vitarelli's Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am looking at Vitarelli's and Summit as well, I would agree that Summit is not as personable and Viteralli seems to be more reasonable and easier to work with.  Can anyone give me anymore insight on these two?  I am making a deicions tomorrow!
    Posted by Tracib25[/QUOTE]

Just wondering who you decided to use for a caterer I met with both and I can't make up my mind?
  • me too! So who did you decide? I am getting married at Moorestown community house in April 2014 and I am still debating over caterer...
  • shtaycee5 said:
    Depends which Vitarelli. There is Catering by Vitarelli located in Pennsauken Country Club (my vendor) and her family @ Vitarelli Catering (where I accidentally went when I first met her). We were late meeting but she was still okay with it.

We chose Catering by Vitarelli over Summit for multiple reasons. 
    1. Summit was not personable-so business-like. 
    2. Friends of ours went to a wedding the month prior, we viewed the pics, and when showing us sample cakes, they showed us a cake from that wedding, but couldn't remember the bride and groom's name.
    3. Also when friends were at the wedding where Summit did, the wait staff was waiting in line to eat prior to all guests getting food.
    4. They're ridiculously priced differently in sit-down compared to buffet whereas Catering by Vitarelli was the same based on the package at the Collingswood Ballroom.
    5. Christina is phenomenal and offers insight to lots of things. She's sweet! Very personable right from the start and cared about us as a couple not as a business.

Our wedding isn't until December but from day one, she's been there for help. I stressed over flowers and she mentioned her florist--they were the best out of 6 other florisits.
    One of the coordinators at our venue actually chose Catering by Vitarelli for her own wedding..so for someone to choose them who works in the business, that says something.

The reason why Summit does get a lot is that they had packages tailored to the specific venue which was offered more recently though Catering by Vitarelli.

They're overall a GREAT GREAT family to work with and I highly recommend them.

Foods at each location was awesome!!

hi! we used summit for our wedding a few years ago, and really have nothing but good things to say! Any questions we had before the wedding were answered so quickly, and everything went SO smoothly that day.

I have a possible reason for #3 above (the staff waiting in line to eat before the guests were served...)  When we had our wedding with them, we did a buffet, too. At our meeting right beforethe weding, they had us tell them of any people that we wanted served by the staff (so that like, for example,  our grandmothers didn't have to worry about getting up and getting their food) so that could have been why your friends saw staff waiting at the buffet liine before the guests were called up to get their food. The staff may have been getting food for certain guests, not for themselves.

Anyway... we had a good experience with summit for our weding, so i think its at least worth talking to them :-)

• DYH77DYH77 member
    First Comment
    So which caterer did you pick?  We are having the same problem deciding.  Summit vs. Viterellis vs. Feastivities for a 2014 wedding.
  • dalt3dalt3 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013

@DYH77 where are you getting married? We just recently chose to go with Feastivites for the Collingswood Ballroom. Feastivities was cheaper than Summit. Summit also only let us try entrees with no sides or anything. We had 11 hor d'oeuvres, 2 salads, and 4 entrees to try at our tasting with Feastivities. Emily at Feastivities went above and beyond to help answer all of my questions and work with my budget. Their food was absolutely amazing and so was the overall experience of the tasting. I am so excited to be using them for my January 2014 wedding,

• @Dalt3, we're getting married at the Community house in Moorestown in August and we are considering using Feastivities or Baccio or Due Amici (we still have time so we figured we'd keep our top 3 favs up). How flexible was Feastivities with you per head price? We've really loved the contact with Emily we've had so far, but are worried about blowing the entire budget on food. We're considering doing a buffett instead of a sit down, not sure what you decided, but any help/advice you have we'd greatly appreciate it!!!
  • @barbour6264, Emily was very flexible considering what was included vs. not included. It really all depends on your budget, but she asked us what our "happy price point" was gave us our options from there and broke the expenses down for us so they were easier to compare to other caterers. She really went above and beyond for us. We have friends that also used and loved Due Amici! I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices! Good luck with everything!
  • My brother and sister in law used summit 5 years ago. The food was cold not nearly as good as it was for the tasting and they didn't give them the top shelf liquor that they paid for. I am also getting married a the community house in june2014. We are using Antony and Cleopatra caterers. It has been a pleasure to work with them so far.
    Mr&Mrs 6-6-14
  • @KnotPorscha vendor from Sept 14th post on this thread.
  • Sorry everyone.  Just realized that there were other posts on this thread with people wanting to know who we chose.  We chose Summit Catering.  Even though the price was slightly more than others, there was more that came with my package that I would not have to organize myself (i'm a trial attorney with limited time and patience).  I also liked that they would only have my event going on that day and that it is a family business.  I know Feastivities is a family business in Philly too, but wanted to go as local as possible.  What I would do if I were you is to talk to Joan at Moorestown Community House to get their feel about the companies and what you're looking to do for your wedding as well.  She has great suggestions!
  • as for the alcohol with summit, you work with an outside vendor that supplies the alcohol.  because it was not included in the cost we are using the chart summit provided us with the number of each type of alcohol we would need based on how many guests and are bringing all alcohol in from n.e. pa where it is cheaper to buy.

as for the personal/business feel of it.  I think it's a personal choice of what you want out of a caterer.  to be truthful, I want someone that's going to get the job done the way I want it, not just be nice to us as a couple.  So, for me, I am working well with Summit.  Would definitely recommend.  Wedding in August 2014 and will let you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards