Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buttercream frosting ideas?

We're having a friend-of-a-friend (who is not a professional baker) do our cake. She does them as a hobby so she doesn't have a design book for me to go through or anything. She doesn't do fondant so we're going with the buttercream, which is fine.

But she said when we meet up next month to just bring a bunch of pictures that I've found online that I like and then we can decide on something together.

Everything I find online is for fondant. Does anyone know of a really good photo gallery of just buttercream cakes that I could look through for ideas??

TIA!
Susie

Re: Buttercream frosting ideas?

• SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto StageManager, most bakers can make buttercream look as smooth as fondant. Our cake was made with buttercream frosting and came out very smooth.

• AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Knot's gallery of cakes has a tab on the left that says Buttercream on it, and all the cakes are non-fondant styles.  Some of them you cannot hardly tell.

Another good site to look at for cake designs is Wilton.com.  I have been on there alot for inspiration - I am picky about my cake designs. 

Good Luck finding your cake!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Just because a cake in a picture has fondant on it doesn't mean the same look can't be done is buttercream.
  • BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buttercream-frosting-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:bb2a14a3-429f-4c6b-b4a3-b21ecec8b736Post:740bcb61-264a-4914-868a-31f6184024e0">Re: Buttercream frosting ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto StageManager, most bakers can make buttercream look as smooth as fondant. Our cake was made with buttercream frosting and came out very smooth.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]
    Very true. She may not have a look-book, but she might have photos that can give you an idea of her skill with getting buttercream smooth. Even if she's not a pro as in has her own full-time business, she may have a lot of practice with it anyway since she doesn't do fondant and decorates cakes regularly.
  • pattcpattc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Panini Cakes in Dallas, TX is famous for their work in buttercream.  They have many pictures on their website - you may have seen some in different brides' magazines.

http://www.paninicakes.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Buttercream frosting can be difficult to get smooth without practice, but there are lots of hints on cakecentral.com for getting it smooth, assembling cakes, cake and frosting recipes, etc.  Also lots of decoration ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards