Military Brides

New to this whole Military thing... FI going to Air Force Reserves. Advice!

So my fiance just made the decision to join the Air Force Reserves. We are/ were supposed to get married this summer BUT my parents have changed their minds about supporting out decisions about getting married. I come from a family that really has no idea about military stuff. His family, on the other hand, it seems like everyone is in the military. My parent's main concern is the insurance. If he goes into the reserves will I be covered. Or is there a low cost to buy the insurance for me? How well is the coverage? Any other info about being a military spouse (both pros and cons) would be GREATLY appreciated! I am looking for any advice I can get whether it be scholorships for military spouses, hardest parts of being a military wife, or just ANYTHING!! Thanks ladies

Re: New to this whole Military thing... FI going to Air Force Reserves. Advice!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_new-to-this-whole-military-thing-fi-going-to-air-force-reserves-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d25509c5-4cbd-4b32-8b6c-f1a9193318dfPost:f8c9bee7-c751-4899-b7c4-89448f800e9f">New to this whole Military thing... FI going to Air Force Reserves. Advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my fiance just made the decision to join the Air Force Reserves. We are/ were supposed to get married this summer BUT my parents have changed their minds about supporting out decisions about getting married. I come from a family that really has no idea about military stuff. His family, on the other hand, it seems like everyone is in the military. My parent's main concern is the insurance. If he goes into the reserves will I be covered. Or is there a low cost to buy the insurance for me? How well is the coverage? Any other info about being a military spouse (both pros and cons) would be GREATLY appreciated! I am looking for any advice I can get whether it be scholorships for military spouses, hardest parts of being a military wife, or just ANYTHING!! Thanks ladies
    Posted by emreed14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ok so here is the info for tricare and reserve</div><div><a href="http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=QLLYQLJ2CJW6Z2q07TxHQzTKjGGNqdHVzgln1y2Ft0JYYhZLMSmr!1756407289?kw=National+Guard+and+Reserve+and+Families&puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FEligibility%2FWhoIsEligible" rel="nofollow">link</a>

</div><div>But I'm confused. If he wasn't joining the military what insurance would you be going on? does he have a job that offers insurance now? Because you can just go on that? I'm confused. If he has a job and is joining the reserves, he will keep his job still. </div>
  • Everything that geeg said.

Also, if you're old enough to get married then don't you think your parents would know you are old enough to get this insurance stuff figured out? Why aren't they on your case about getting a job that has insurance and only focusing on your fiance's?

I know it's hard to find a job right now, believe me, I can't find anything but when I was ready to head out into the world on my own my parents weren't like "I hope you have a guy that has insurance." They were like "Does YOUR job give you insurance"

Maybe I'm reading too much into this though?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Is he going into the Reserves to be a traditional one weekend a month, 2 week training per year Airman, or is he going fulltime into the Active Guard Reserve program?
  • You said they changed their mind about supporting your marriage. Is there any reason other than him joining up that they are having those objections? I'm also a little confused on the insurance point. Not only because my parents were similar to Hike's (they want me to have a job with good benefits, no matter my marital status), but because that seems like a weird thing to fixate on. I would share Geeg's link with them and try to get them as much information as possible.

My parents were big hippies, and, while both my grandfathers were in WW2, we don't have much military in our family and certainly no career military. However, that hasn't come up a lot in discussions with my family, other than the fact that we'll be moving a lot. They want me to be happy with someone who is good to me and that I love. While the fact that we can support ourselves is important, but whatever his job is isn't something that could change their whole view of our relationship. 

• No you will not have insurance unless he is deployed or activated.  He will just go away to training and then come home and work his job except for one weekend a month and two weeks a year.  Why is he not joining the airforce to be active duty? Then you would have insurance etc.  
  • Well I am just finishing up my nursing school... I am in the process of changing jobs. My parents are really old fashioned and don't believe that I should carry the insuance load. To me regardless it doesn't matter who the insuance is under as long as we have it. But my parents just want to make sure he is able to get insurance. I am just finding out all of this information to relay to them... They are all worried about me going and living on bases because they have heard horror stories from like 50 years ago... All in all I believe that it is my life and of course I want them to be happy and be there to support me but I need to choose what is best for us... Anything else that I can maybe tell them to ease their minds... I appreciate everything so far!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_new-to-this-whole-military-thing-fi-going-to-air-force-reserves-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d25509c5-4cbd-4b32-8b6c-f1a9193318dfPost:28d39938-7206-4429-8496-a0f51dc58fb6">Re: New to this whole Military thing... FI going to Air Force Reserves. Advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I am just finishing up my nursing school... I am in the process of changing jobs. My parents are really old fashioned and don't believe that I should carry the insuance load. To me regardless it doesn't matter who the insuance is under as long as we have it. But my parents just want to make sure he is able to get insurance. I am just finding out all of this information to relay to them... They are all worried about me going and living on bases because they have heard horror stories from like 50 years ago... All in all I believe that it is my life and of course I want them to be happy and be there to support me but I need to choose what is best for us... Anything else that I can maybe tell them to ease their minds... I appreciate everything so far!
    Posted by emreed14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Here you go!</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+air+force+reservists+get+health+benefits" rel="nofollow">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+air+force+reservists+get+health+benefits</a>

</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I think kmmssg's question is still a valid one. My FI is active duty Air Force, so I can't answer a lot of questions about the Reserves, but it matters whether he's going into the Active Reserves or whether he's doing his 2 weeks a year/one weekend a month. If it's the latter, as I understand it, that's not a full-time job that gives him insurance, he'd still need to have a regular full-time job that he would take off from to fulfill those duties. So, it wouldn't really matter about the military insurance at all. 

If it's the former, I think the sites people have given you can help with the insurance questions. I don't know if they've heard horror stories of people just living on base (while I haven't lived on any I've stayed on and lived near several and have no real complaints other than that the accommodations can be a little small) or are they worried about specifically the medical care in the hospitals? I haven't been to one, but most people I know get pretty decent care. Given that I'm not sure of your job training or prospects, it may very well be that you will make more money than him or shoulder more of your financial burden for a while depending on his pay grade, and that's a conversation you and your FI need to have together to be sure that you're both okay with that. 
  • If he is reserves you wont be able to live on a base. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards