Military Brides

Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors

Hi everyone! I recently got engaged to the man I've been dating for 5+ years! He's in the USMC and we are planning on getting married in October 2013. He will be wearing his dress blues, as will several of his groomsmen. Any ideas on bridesmaid dress colors / wedding colors that won't look like the 4th of July but also won't clash?
1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n

Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:048e4cae-6f6a-4c9b-876b-083f34f03990">Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I recently got engaged to the man I've been dating for 5+ years! He's in the USMC and we are planning on getting married in October 2013. He will be wearing his dress blues, as will several of his groomsmen. Any ideas on bridesmaid dress colors / wedding colors that won't look like the 4th of July but also won't clash?
    Posted by mbrooke2008[/QUOTE]
    Any color you would like. It will all match. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:4acb6d69-7bf1-45a6-ae22-28cbeca96f6e">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors : Any color you would like. It will all match. 
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]
    I initially thought purple, but I don't think that matches with the red. Then I thought about navy bridesmaid dresses, but I think that's way too much navy. I am probably going to end up going with yellow/orange/red.
  • My fiance is in the USMC as well. We are planning to do Navy Blue and either a gold or beige color. For my bridesmaids I am thinking a pale yellow colored dress. We are doing a fairy tale/Beauty and the Beast theme, so mainly they will be in yellow because of Belle.

I'm sure any color you pick will look great! I hope this helps and congrats! :D

• I've seen any and all colors at MC balls. My wedding had multiple people in different branch uniforms, civilian men in tuxes, and civilian women in dark navy blue (not trouser royal blue).  
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:818d3e41-232f-42f8-92da-a720ad0d3c24">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is in the USMC as well. We are planning to do Navy Blue and either a gold or beige color. For my bridesmaids I am thinking a pale yellow colored dress. We are doing a fairy tale/Beauty and the Beast theme, so mainly they will be in yellow because of Belle. I'm sure any color you pick will look great! I hope this helps and congrats! :D
    Posted by Mahcobaye[/QUOTE]

Thank you! We are leaning torwards doing either a gold/red or gold/navy! I went to a bridal show today and saw lots of decor using gold and love that idea now! Congrats to you too, and good luck! I love the Beauty and the Beast theme :)
  • mbrooke2008mbrooke2008 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:48de63b1-5000-4164-8677-107ab9f276c5">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen any and all colors at MC balls. My wedding had multiple people in different branch uniforms, civilian men in tuxes, and civilian women in dark navy blue (not trouser royal blue).  
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

I think he will have 2 or 3 groomsmen who are Marines and 2 who are civilians and will just be in tuxes. I figured it just would be easier to match the Marine blues because I am kind of particular and think certain colors (particularly green & purple) would look kind of clash. I also don't want my bridesmaids in navy too, because then it'll be too drab in my opinion. I am thinking possibly gold with red accents now! Or red with navy and gold accents. Thanks for your help!
  • I've seen all sorts of colors with MC Blues in weddings.  I've only seen a few colors that look odd, but they are not my kind of color anyway.  Hot pink and bright green were those colors.  Honestly, uniforms are considered nuetral.  I would just pick what ever color you want.  Purple won't look bad.  I would stay away from red and navy.  It looks either too matchy or like you tried too hard to be matchy and failed, depending on the colors you pick.  Plus, I'd say 80+% of weddings involving MC uniforms are Navy and red.  It's just way over done.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm with TX, especially since navy and red are typically really difficult colors to match. Do the colors you like. They'll probably end up looking better than you think.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:2af0ef39-884c-457a-a873-64f12ed5cc77">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen all sorts of colors with MC Blues in weddings.  I've only seen a few colors that look odd, but they are not my kind of color anyway.  Hot pink and bright green were those colors.  Honestly, uniforms are considered nuetral.  I would just pick what ever color you want.  Purple won't look bad.  I would stay away from red and navy.  It looks either too matchy or like you tried too hard to be matchy and failed, depending on the colors you pick.  Plus, I'd say 80+% of weddings involving MC uniforms are Navy and red.  It's just way over done.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>Navy isn't even the right color for those uniforms, they're black, red, and royal blue! I had Navy because my MOH was USAF and wore her mess dress, so I was trying to coordinate with her (but obv you knew that already TX :)</div><div>
    </div><div>No jewel tones will clash with blues. Neons, perhaps, but I've seen purple dresses at birthday balls and they look fine. I've worn green/teal, it looked fine. </div><div>
    </div><div>And am I the only one imagining a Marine in a giant Beast mask that he sheds when they kiss at the end? That's gotta be against regs...</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:0e14eea0-1366-4656-a98e-9b578c1b6975">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors : Navy isn't even the right color for those uniforms, they're black, red, and royal blue! I had Navy because my MOH was USAF and wore her mess dress, so I was trying to coordinate with her (but obv you knew that already TX :) No jewel tones will clash with blues. Neons, perhaps, but I've seen purple dresses at birthday balls and they look fine. I've worn green/teal, it looked fine.  <strong><u>And am I the only one imagining a Marine in a giant Beast mask that he sheds when they kiss at the end?</u></strong> That's gotta be against regs...
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Not anymore, you're not! LOL!

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-bridesmaid-dress-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ac88c7ac-8095-4d8b-9ae0-584d93204b78Post:e36a37c7-adc3-44f2-bf68-c4d0f4ec1c6f">Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Colors / Bridesmaid Dress Colors : Not anymore, you're not! LOL!
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]
     <div>This!  It hadn't crossed my mind before, but now it's there.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards