Not Engaged Yet

Has Anyone Read...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

I had been reading it a couple pages at a time. However, my commute changed yesterday and now I have more time to read. I'm addicted!

Has anyone read it? Did have the same affect on you? Please don't tell me what happens.

Re: Has Anyone Read...

• acl2012acl2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read it, but I know people that have and have said great things about it. I plan to read it when I have a bit more time on my hands to read for pleasure. But everyone I know said it was great and couldn't put it down! Are you planning to read the whole series?
  • edited December 2011
    I have read it - and i've got mixed feelings. For me, it was really hard to get into. About half-way through it got more exciting and then I just couldn't put it down. A friend of mine described it as "morbidly addicting" and I have to agree. It was very disturbing, but I couldn't stop until I knew what happened. I have a hard time recommending it to people I don't know can handle the subject matter - but if you're a Law & Order junkie like me, you will probably get into it.

I haven't started the second book yet, but I do plan to read it. I just needed a bit of a break...so I'm reading something a little more "happy" right now. 
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    FMIL gave me the book as an Easter present, she had read the book.  It was hard to start at the begiinning as I thought it was kind of slow, but it does get better in the middle through the end.  I just saw the two movies last month.  Pretty awesome movies.  I think Noami Rapace does Lisbeth really well.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Allusive - I'm the same way. I was meh about it inititally, but I hit the midpoint and I can't put it down. The morbid details I don't really need to know at all, I just find the story fascinating. I'm seriously concerned about the movie though. I know there is one out with english subtitles, but I don't know if I could handle that. Although, I don't know how they could film some of this. ...that is what scares me.

If I can get my act together to read the second one I'll be able to join BF's work bookclub. I know that sounds weird, but they are a big family and it is at someone's house.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seeing how successful these books could be, I feel bad that the author won't get a chnce to see it.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't.  But literally, EVERY time I'm on the T (which is at least twice a day), I see someone reading it.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a copy...
  • edited December 2011

I have not read it yet but I would like to. I think I should finish the two other books that I am in the middle of first lol.

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to start reading them over Christmas holidays. I feel like I have too many books to read right now though! But I've heard really good things about the series so I want to at least give them a shot. I have read the reviews that all say they start of really slow at first, but I'm okay with that.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't read them yet, but it's definitely on my Christmas Break reading list!
    ♥ Couldn't Ask For More... Wouldn't Settle For Less ♥ Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read it yet but I'm always tempted to add it to my cart on Amazon to get free shipping - then I inevitably find two books for like $3 each that get me to my $25 and delete the girl with the dragon tattoo from my cart.  I'll get around to it eventually.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read all 3.  The first one is definitely a bit tough to get into... so is the 3rd.  Book 2 was by far my favorite.

I liked them all, and enjoyed the Swedish movies.  Looking forward to the English versions!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I've heard it is depressing and I HATE depressing things. I tend to avoid them at all costs. However, FI's dad listened to it on audio book and loved it.
    Anniversary
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-read?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:8b116e1c-8325-4e1d-bdb0-be171dd77d9fPost:5130b7c4-62fd-47e0-aeb8-79c61d25e214">Re: Has Anyone Read...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard it is depressing and I HATE depressing things. I tend to avoid them at all costs. However, FI's dad listened to it on audio book and loved it.
    Posted by palmettogirl924[/QUOTE]

It's not really depressing... the first book has sort of a forlorn mood, and they aren't exactly funny.  They take a rather callous look at human nature, especially men who hate women (the overarching theme of the book, and actually the name in Swedish of the original book).  There are some dark things that happen.  But I found sharp dialogue funny enough to laugh out loud once in awhile.  And it's not sad, and I never got choked up or cried.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I just gave it away- i tried to read it while on vacation this fall.. but cant be bothered to keep up with it.. cause i know that its one of those ones that i need to stick to but im not committed to the author so i had a hard time.. if the friend i gave it to enjoys it i will give it another try.. we like almost all the same books ever since i was little..

Sept 2011 Feb...
    imageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read it yet because the waiting list at our library is way too long still, but I have seen all three movies and if the books are anything like the movies I'm super excited! I'm not looking forward to the english versions though. I personally think they're going to butcher it. *shrug*

I'm sad that we'll never get the other seven books that were supposedly in the works. :(
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just finished the third one. They do take a bit of time to get into, but once you get it figured out, they burn through. I highly recommend looking up the kroner to dollar exchange to help you kind of keep it all straight in your head. And I found the Swedish names difficult to follow at times, esp when many characters were introduced at the same time. 

I think the first one is the stand out, followed very closely by the third one. The second one is a bit violent for violence sake. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards