Not Engaged Yet

Knotting

So, earlier this week, FI and I were comparing our potential guest list.  He had his on an Excel spreadsheet and I told him I had mine organized on a website and turned the screen to him (TK).  He said, "You've been on that site for months."  I told him that, yes, I have been on this site for awhile.  He said something like, "Well, you must have been planning all of this for awhile."  I was quite offended!

I then told him that I had been on the NOT ENGAGED YET board and that I hadn't been planning because of that.  He then asked what I had learned from the NEY board.  I told him that I had learned not to plan before an engagement and that LOLcats are awesome (he didn't know what LOLcats were - poor guy!). 

Just now, he asked what I was doing and I said, "Knotting."  He was like WTFBBQ (except not, because he doesn't know what that is)?!?!?!  and I explained to him what it was.  I think he was more concerned that I used it as a verb...

What do you do that your BF/FI/H just doesn't "get"?
IMG_6364
"Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg

Re: Knotting

• edited December 2011
    FI doesn't get that our cat is not a dog and can't be rough-housed or handled like a dog, especially since she's 14.  He doesn't realize that this is why she doesn't like him.
  • edited December 2011
    He is amazed/confused by our cat. She is the first cat he has ever owned and he doesn't get that she won't take walks and doesn't need baths like dogs do. It can be highly amusing at times. He actually bought her a little harness and leash. hahah.
    5/27/12
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:008b17b6-e4ce-47b6-85bd-503327ac8ffa">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]He is amazed/confused by our cat. She is the first cat he has ever owned and he doesn't get that she won't take walks and doesn't need baths like dogs do. It can be highly amusing at times. He actually bought her a little harness and leash. hahah.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

Ha!! Has he actually tried to put said leash/harness on the cat? That could be interesting.

I hid my knotting from BF for a while, but I eventually told him that pretty much everything we talk about has nothing to do with weddings, and it's just nice to chat with women in the same age range, in the "same place" (in a serious relationship of some kind). He also understands that I really do just love weddings, though. I stalk people's weddings on facebook all the time-and don't hide it at all. The other day, he asked me what I was going to look at all day once we got married. I told him "look at baby names, of course".
  • lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nick doesn't get why I find it gross when he lets the ferrets on the bed while we're eating, and why I think it's gross he lets them get near his food, sniff at it, lick at it, etc. He treats his ferrets like they're human, and I'm all for affection for animals, but still, they're animals...and I don't feel like having animals all up in my food, begging for it and stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:5f78e6a2-c154-4e1e-951f-864f2c793cc7">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knotting : <strong>Ha!! Has he actually tried to put said leash/harness on the cat?</strong> That could be interesting. I hid my knotting from BF for a while, but I eventually told him that pretty much everything we talk about has nothing to do with weddings, and it's just nice to chat with women in the same age range, in the "same place" (in a serious relationship of some kind). He also understands that I really do just love weddings, though. I stalk people's weddings on facebook all the time-and don't hide it at all. <strong>The other day, he asked me what I was going to look at all day once we got married. I told him "look at baby names, of course".</strong>
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

Sadly, yes. At the beginning of spring when it first got nice outside. She just laid down and freaked out, poor thing. He was really upset actually haha.

So true. We'll all just probably stay on TK anyway though.
    5/27/12
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:c048202a-85d8-45ef-967b-410fc152650e">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knotting : Sadly, yes. At the beginning of spring when it first got nice outside. She just laid down and freaked out, poor thing. He was really upset actually haha. So true. We'll all just probably stay on TK anyway though.

That is hilarious.

My BF doesn't understand cats either. He says "they don't come when they're called, they don't want anything to do with you unless they feel like it, they don't know any tricks, you can't walk them"...he just doesn't get it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:008b17b6-e4ce-47b6-85bd-503327ac8ffa">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]He is amazed/confused by our cat. She is the first cat he has ever owned and he doesn't get that she won't take walks and doesn't need baths like dogs do. It can be highly amusing at times. He actually bought her a little harness and leash. hahah.

My kittykitty has a leash/harness.  I got it when I lived in an apartment and didn't want her outside unsupervised, I stayed with her the whole time.  I also didn't want her to run off when she saw a dog. She didn't mind the harness one bit.
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:13d4fce2-9447-4782-83f4-a394d45c68e9">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knotting : My kittykitty has a leash/harness.  I got it when I lived in an apartment and didn't want her outside unsupervised, I stayed with her the whole time.  I also didn't want her to run off when she saw a dog. She didn't mind the harness one bit.
    Posted by amsybot[/QUOTE]

I have a leash and harness too. I wanted to teach Sebastian how to walk in it, but that didn't go so well. I found a stray kitty, though, that didn't mind one bit when I put the leash on him. I hear it's also good to have a leash/harness when traveling in the airport. They make you take the pet out of the carrier, and you have to hold them when you walk through the metal detector. I'm not sure I would want to risk having an unsecured cat then.
  • edited December 2011
    BF & I both have cats.. I let mine on the bed at night, he doesn't.  At first I didn't get why he wouldn't and he still doesn't understand why I do let them on there.  Hair gets everywhere and they can disturb my sleep sometimes.  Iit is nice to have them sleeping and curled up next to me.  Over time however I am  beginning to realize how annoying it can be....

Anniversary

• amsmith1989amsmith1989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF sometimes doesn't get the fact that there is a difference between living with me and living with an apartment full of guys.  For instance, when he leaves his hair all over the sink, underwear on the floor after his shower, socks in the living room, etc.  A lot of guys don't care too much about that stuff...but I do.  He's good most of the time though, so I'll stick to being grateful that he's not THAT bad.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Daisypath Graduation tickers image
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My BF doesn't understand that I am not his personal toy. He takes the liberty of tossing me about, poking me, tickling me, etc. whenever he pleases, despite my shrieky protestations.

My entire childhood, I remember hearing the mantra, "I am not a toy!" said to my father by my mother. I once sat BF down and explained to him that he  needs to respect my wishes and stop when I tell him stop, just as my dad had to do with my mom. He said that my uncontrollable giggling negated me telling him to stop.

A while ago, we were at my mom's house, and I brought this up. I reminded her of her mantra and told her she needed to smack some sense in to my BF.

Me: "Mom, will you please tell Jon I am not his toy, like you told Dad?"
    Mom: "But...you are his toy. Just like I was Dad's toy."
    Me: "WHAT?? But, you always told him you weren't and to knock it off!"
    Mom: "HA, like that worked! Sorry kid, but them's the breaks."
    Jon: "HAHAHA, Tessie said I can play with you!"

Thanks Mom.
  • IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:56b487f4-c206-4d6e-a2ee-7415c3103b06">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BF doesn't understand that I am not his personal toy. He takes the liberty of tossing me about, poking me, tickling me, etc. whenever he pleases, despite my shrieky protestations. My entire childhood, I remember hearing the mantra, "I am not a toy!" said to my father by my mother. I once sat BF down and explained to him that he  needs to respect my wishes and stop when I tell him stop, just as my dad had to do with my mom. He said that my uncontrollable giggling negated me telling him to stop. A while ago, we were at my mom's house, and I brought this up. I reminded her of her mantra and told her she needed to smack some sense in to my BF. Me: "Mom, will you please tell Jon I am not his toy, like you told Dad?" Mom: "But...you are his toy. Just like I was Dad's toy." Me: "WHAT?? But, you always told him you weren't and to knock it off!" Mom: "HA, like that worked! Sorry kid, but them's the breaks." Jon: "HAHAHA, Tessie said I can play with you!" Thanks Mom.
    Posted by csousa1[/QUOTE]
    This made me literally LOL.

BF doesn't understand why I don't want a tv in the kitchen, or two tvs in the living room. He thinks it makes perfect sense, that way one of us can play video games while the other watches tv.

He also doesn't get my Knotting. He doesn't care - he just thinks I'm silly...which he says he thinks anyway, so it's basicaly a moot/mute? (i never get that one right) point.

lol
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh BF treats me like his toy too! Tickles me, squeezes me just all around annoys the crap out of me and doesn't stop when I ask him too. I thought I was the only one that dealt with this and my BF was just nuts lol.

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_knotting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbcccb8e-e714-433e-abaa-20b84c0ae05bPost:d5e3d49a-1f26-4a70-bece-4e16ebc6612b">Re: Knotting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knotting : This made me literally LOL. BF doesn't understand why I don't want a tv in the kitchen, or two tvs in the living room. He thinks it makes perfect sense, that way one of us can play video games while the other watches tv. He also doesn't get my Knotting. He doesn't care - he just thinks I'm silly...which he says he thinks anyway,<strong> so it's basicaly a moot/mute? (i never get that one right) point. lol
    </strong>Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

It's moot.  :)
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards