Not Engaged Yet
Options

Memorial Day BBQ-Food Ideas!

I've decided that this year I am going to start contributing to the family potluck memorial day get together but I have no clue what to make. I tried to find some of Oceana's recpies but I'm not a very good detective at 8am.

Any ideas for (semi) easy ideas to feed a large group of people? There are no food allergies/special menus to consider, as long as it's not too healthy. If it looks like it's healthy people will complain, lol.

What is everyone else doing for this holiday weekend?
imageimageimageimage

Re: Memorial Day BBQ-Food Ideas!

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pasta Salad is very easy and delicious.  I like it for picnics because it's served cold.  I don't have exact amounts of anything, I just use as much pasta as I think I need and add as much of the other ingredients as I like.

Rotini pasta (the spirals)
    Chopped green and red bell peppers
    McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning
    Shredded chedder cheese (optional)
    Chopped pepperoni (optional)
    Black olives (optional)
    Zesty Italian dressing
    Edit: Onions (I forgot - good call Kat!)

Make the pasta and let it cool completely.  You can do this the day before to save time if you want.  Next add the vegetable.  You can add the seasoning now or at the end.   Add the dressing the day you are eating the pasta.

I forgot it was a holiday weekend!  We have a party on Friday and we're going to an MLB game on Saturday, but no plans for the actual holiday.  No school though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Pasta Salad (I make tri colored rotini, mix with onions, red and green peppers and cheese and toss with Italian dressing.

Baked beans are a BBQ classic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Margarita Cake

Cake
    1 box lemon cake mix
    1 package instant lemon pudding
    1/3 cup oil
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup margarita mix

Glaze
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup margarita mix

1. Preheat oven at 325 and grease and flour a 9x13 pan
    2. Mix all ingredients until well blended
    3. Pour batter into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes
    4. Whisk together sifted powdered sugar and margarita mix
    5. After baking, let cake cool for 10 minutes
    6. Pour glaze over the top of cake

This cake is so AMAZING!!!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bakes that sounds wicked! I might have to make it

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had this fruit salsa the other day and it is AMAZING, especially on a hot day.  The link has a picture of it.  The lady who brought the dish found cinnamon chips (instead of making her own) at Meijer....they were Meijer brand sunchips. 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Annies-Fruit-Salsa-and-Cinnamon-Chips/Detail.aspx
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad: a variation of regular pasta salad. I don't like cheese and I this recipe always gets me tons of compliments!

Ingredients:
    4-5 chicken breasts
    1 green bell pepper
    1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
    1 box ziti pasta
    2 bottles of lite Caesar dressing (I use kens, oh and not the creamy kind)

Directions
    Marinate chicken breasts in dressing overnight. Grill chicken and cut into bite-sized chunks. Cook and drain pasta. Chop pepper into small pieces. Toss pasta, tomatoes, peppers, and chicken with dressing to taste (I usually use about 2/3 of a bottle). Chill.

I don't know what the plan is for the weekend. Usually my aunt and uncle have a BBQ at their house but I'm not sure what they're going to do this year. They are the parents of my cousin who is marrying the wack job and aren't really in the partying mood lately since they are so stressed about the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MeShell1313MeShell1313 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a yummy fruit salad that always goes over well:

2 20oz cans of pinapple chunks, (drain and save the juice you will need it)
    2 cans of mandarin oranges
    1 jar of marashino cherries
    4 bananas
    1 4.6oz box of Cook & Serve Vanilla pudding (NOT INSTANT!)

Make pudding acordding to directions substituting pinapple juice instead of milk. Let it cool.
    In a large container addtogether the drained fruit. Pour the cooled pudding over the fruit and mix well. Refrigerate.

Its so easy and you can sub any fruits you like. I add in berries when their in season
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards