Pre-wedding Parties

wedding party get together

We are having a get together for everybody in our bridal party and their dates.  We wanted to do something fun so everybody gets to know eachother and another way for us to thank them for being part of our day.  We are from a very small town so we are doing a hayride for everybody (probably will seem very tacky to some of you, but all of our people will enjoy it) and we will have the coolers stocked and make a couple stops at a couple bars before returning home and having dinner for them all.  My question for all of you is...Is there something else we could do for them that day or fun ideas of games or something fun we could do while we are out and about??  I was thinking a scavanger hunt along the ride or competition games we could have people do but then don't know what to give winners??  Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Re: wedding party get together

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

To be honest, I don't think it's necessary.  Your WP probably won't, and don't have to be friends to be in your WP.  They are, I assume, all adults who will be able to get along for your wedding.  But trying to "force" friendships just seems hokey to me.

Examples:  My wonderful DIL had some of her friends and our two DD's in her WP.  They all got along just fine at the shower and wedding, and have not spoken to each other since.  And that's fine.

My DD had her sisters and college friends and her FSIL in her WP.  They were all cordial to each other at shower, rehearsal, and wedding.  And the college friends still talk to each other, the sisters talk with each other, but the two groups don't.

I'm just worried that you're setting yourself up for disappointment by trying to create more than what this is:  a group of people who all know and care about YOU, but not necessarily about each other.

Frankly, I'd skip it.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • awollakawollak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well actually most of our wedding party are all friends with each other anyway.  So we aren't trying to force friendships, we just wanted to do something fun for all of our wedding party and treat all of them to a night out.  We both recognize how much of a commitment it is to be in a wedding.  It's not necessarily a bachelorette/bachelor party, it's just a party, but I was trying to think of something creative and fun for everybody to do.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a BM get-together back in October and we had a lot of fun. We met at a local winery and did a tasting and then we got a table outside because the view up on the hill was spectacular. I brought some munchie foods and we purchased a few more bottles of wine and sat down and talked about the wedding a little bit, and I handed out a BM Newsletter with all the info they would need for getting their dresses and any day-of info they had been asking about. I know some knotties on here say the newsletter is a waste of time, but my girls loved it and thanked me for taking the time to put all the information they needed into one spot for them.

A lot of brides-to-be get together with their girls near the beginning of the planning and discuss some of the important stuff and then when that's done, you can just relax and have a good time with everyone. Some of my BM's already knew each other, but for the ones that didn't they got to know each other a little better, and some of them are now friends so I'm so glad we all got together. It was also a nice "thank you" to them before all the planning really got underway.

I think what you already have planned sounds great. I don't think you need to throw in a game or competition. Just hang out, have some food and drinks, and I'm sure you'll all have a good time.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_wedding-party-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:990e78e1-7cbb-40d9-963e-6cffc684e773Post:711c8661-63e9-4f82-9c85-ccabf3c01c91">wedding party get together</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a get together for everybody in our bridal party and their dates.<u><strong>  We wanted to do something fun so everybody gets to know eachother</strong></u> and another way for us to thank them for being part of our day.  We are from a very small town so we are doing a hayride for everybody (probably will seem very tacky to some of you, but all of our people will enjoy it) and we will have the coolers stocked and make a couple stops at a couple bars before returning home and having dinner for them all.  My question for all of you is...Is there something else we could do for them that day or fun ideas of games or something fun we could do while we are out and about??  I was thinking a scavanger hunt along the ride or competition games we could have people do but then don't know what to give winners??  Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
    Posted by awollak[/QUOTE]

So now I'm confused.  Are they mostly all friends who already know each other, or is what your originally wrote (that I bolded) the situation.  Because your two posts completely contradicted each other, unless there's something I'm missing.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
     Im having a favor party with the girls in my wedding. It will be a party where they help do my favors, but also like a meet & greet. Most of the girls know each other, or know of each other. So i wanted to get them all together. Im decorating in spring colors and using the daisy flowers. We're having finger foods, and I ordered buttons with their title & their names on it. We going to play games, and I have personal gifts to give them saying Thank you, for being a part of our wedding. I look forward to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards