Chit Chat

Birth Control options without Healthcare?

Ok, so I just found out that my health insurance has finally been cancelled (I was on my ex-husband's policy and as we recently got divorced, I was obviously removed from the policy), and at the moment, my FI and I just don't have the extra money to afford health insurance since we're saving up for the wedding. I want to know if anyone knows where I could get cheap birth control, maybe from a pharmacy or store like Walmart? I'm allergic to latex condoms, and we can't find non-latex ones that are big enough. I was also supposed to start my pack this past Sunday, so by the time I'd be able to make it into a Planned Parenthood, my whole schedule would be messed up. And I'm only looking for temporary for the rest of this month and most of October because I'm donating eggs at the end of November, so I have to be off any kind of hormonal birth control for a month before I go in. Does anyone have any experience with OTC birth control methods that they'd recommend for the month that I need to be on them?

Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?

• This has been the funniest post I have read in a while.  I love all of you for your witty banter!  You made my night.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:6a36304d-6bc1-48bb-bb9d-2c5619914d82">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : She doesn't have time to go to a clinic. She apparently needs sex, like, now and going to a clinic just takes too long.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

LOL, sometimes you just gotta have it!

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• This has been a fun read.  Vegas wins :)

But seriously OP - I'm saving for a wedding as well but paid out of pocket for a few months of health insurance while I was in between jobs.  It's a LOT cheaper to pay for the coverage than get hurt and have to pay re-donk-ulous medical bills.

And... umm... if you can't pay for your BCP, will clearly not entertain the thought of abstinence or anal (high five), are donating eggs without insurance (wtf?) then I really think you have some jacked up priorities.  Come back to earth, please.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:38b03288-0843-41c5-bfc0-213e760d9c0a">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I wanna know is when I said that she has the mental capacity to use spermicide, cervical caps, or fertility awareness correctly? My sister is a nurse practitioner in gynecology and my previous post was clearly based on the assumption that she would not be using them correctly, because if they are not used the right way every single time about 20-30% of people will get pregnant every year. That percentage is lower with birth control pills. Plus you would need to track your cycle for at least 2 months before you could effectively use<strong> fertility</strong> <strong>awareness</strong>, which clearly is not in her time frame. <strong>Also, if you have irregular periods as many women do, this is the last form of birth control you should be using.</strong> And while we're on the subject male condoms also have a failure rate of about 15% when not used correctly every time.
    Posted by megjm.614[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  FAM isn't based on tracking regular cycles because not everyone has textbook 28 day cycles and not everyone who does have clockwork cycles has them all the time.  FAM is based on tracking fertility signs.  If one is consistently tracking her signs (temp, fluid, cervical position) and learning her body's patterns, it doesn't matter how regular or irregular her cycles are; she'll know when she can have unprotected sex and when to abstain/use barriers based on those signals.  FAM is even recommended for peri-menopausal women who want to avoid "change of life" pregnancies (talk about irregular cycles).

FAM can actually be used simply as a wellness routine because a woman can track when discharge changes appear or when things are "off" and help her know when to go to the doctor.   Many times, expensive fertility treatments can be avoided because FAM can help a woman see when she ovulates.  Many people who believe they are having infertility problems simply are missing their windows of opportunity each month because they have been incorrectly taught that everyone falls into a 4 week cycle and that if they're off that schedule occassionally, something is automatically "wrong".

FAM lives up to the Awareness part of its name by teaching women to know their bodies well and when women know their bodies well, they can either use that knowledge to assist them in getting pregnant or to avoid pregnancy.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Oh, and sorry Vegas for all the female TMI. =-)

• Well said Mrs. B. Well said. Thank You!

I hate how their are so many misconceptions out there about FAM and NFP.
  • Yep, I know a couple who has been avoiding going on 5 years with FAM and not one pregnancy "scare".  If it is used faithfully, it is an excellent non-hormonal BC.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:d4a4d6fa-09af-470a-b0f6-dcc4b20613f9">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and sorry Vegas for all the female TMI. =-)
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Goes great with breakfast!  lol

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:adff043f-d8a8-4c5e-b423-2b201a7150ca">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : Abstinence is not my only option. I'm asking if anyone else knows any options that I do have, so if you don't have any, then you don't need to respond.
    Posted by Hietaro[/QUOTE]

Wow.. no need to get snippy.. I did give advice before the "abstinence" suggestion and then saw that you had already shut down all those options. Why don't you try reading before trying to act tough.
  • If you have a current prescription for BC pills but are just having trouble affording the specific ones your Dr. prescribed you can probably call the Dr.'s office and ask them to write you a script for a cheaper, generic pill like Sprintec.

However, if you are looking for a non-hormonal quick fix I have used Encare in a similar situation.  It can be messy and sometimes it doesn't mesh with certain women's chemistry and causes burning but I would give it a try if you need something quick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My understanding of her post was that she cannot go back on hormonal birth control if she intends to donate eggs soon, which she does. So the bc pill option is out for her, regardless of whether she has insurance or not.
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Thanks for that info, Mrs. B!  My understanding of FAM is that it's probably the most effective form of BC short of abstinence when used correctly, but that using it correctly is a LOT of work, especially at first, so most people just take the approach of "Well, as long as I don't have sex during this week of every month I'm fine" and end up pregnant.  Any resources you might recommend to get started?

To OP, I find it VERY hard to believe that there's absolutely nowhere around you that sells suitable non-latex options.  Hell, even our local Wal-Mart has a few, and the couple of sex shops we've been to have gigantic selections of condoms and other contraceptives.  Even if you're out in the middle of nowhere, there has to be a sex shop within a reasonable distance.  They're everywhere.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Yes!  Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler   That's a great book to start with and written in an easy to read, easy to comprehend style even though it's medical info.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:6a36304d-6bc1-48bb-bb9d-2c5619914d82">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : She doesn't have time to go to a clinic. She apparently needs sex, like, now and going to a clinic just takes too long.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, oh my goodness... is she serious? I hadn't read enough to see that part, but I guess you're right waltzingmatilda, sex is much too important right now to bother with a clinic. haha
    You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.- Dr. Seuss Wedding Countdown Ticker
    83 Invited image 32 Attending image2 Declined image Still Waiting 49 image
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:6b28c7b6-69ef-456f-ab8a-837e60740dbc">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : I beg to differ on this. Actually, <strong>when used correctly FAM is a highly effective form of birth control. The problem is people being unaware and uneducated in what all it involves and teaches. Or they are just too lazy to do what is required to do it correctly, therefore effectively.</strong> OP: if you come to these boards and don't want to take the advice, fine, but <strong>don't go begging people to feel sorry for you</strong> for being able to find something works for your or bc you don't have health insurance. There are plenty of people out there that don't have health insurance and are struggling to get by. Please don't go begging people to help you when they have suggested all that they can. <strong>And sometimes as adults we have to be responsible and the only 100% effective bc is abstinence. Period.
    </strong>Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  If you truly don't want to get pregnant and you can't/dont want to/are too irresponsible to act like an adult and either buy the pills, look for appropriate condoms, or hold off on the sex then what exactly are you looking for? 

@vegasgroom - Bahahahaha!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • This thread is seriously making me LOL reading it.  You guys are hilarious.  I don't have anything to really even add.  I'm just laughing. 

I don't see what OP's rush/real problem is.  Why not just pay for the full price of the prescription?  Certainly cheaper than a baby!  Why not just abstain until you solve your problem?  Oh wait, that's not an option...you need it...NOW hahaha.
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010

Vegas already suggested anal, so um ... 69?

Seriously, if you don't "have time" to go to PP,  can't afford non-latex condoms that are "big enough" (I believe I strained a retina with that eye roll), have several other objections to literally every other type of BC suggested and absolutely must "get some" on a daily basis, then you really don't have any other options.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Since your fiance is so huge, maybe he could wrap his junk in a ziplock bag. Gallon-size, of course.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:2be1d731-11f0-46c3-9aa4-a9e22dac4f57">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a current prescription for BC pills but are just having trouble affording the specific ones your Dr. prescribed you can probably call the Dr.'s office and ask them to write you a script for a cheaper, generic pill like Sprintec. However, if you are looking for a non-hormonal quick fix I have used<strong> Encare</strong> in a similar situation.  It can be messy and sometimes it doesn't mesh with certain women's chemistry and causes burning but I would give it a try if you need something quick.
    Posted by rknox88[/QUOTE]

<div>Encare makes me feel like a rabid dog, foaming at the mouth...except its not my mouth. Once was enough. I don't like the foaming feeling. But to each his own. </div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:0d5b7ab8-6ae2-4113-a426-b2253f8e580b">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes!  Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler   That's a great book to start with and written in an easy to read, easy to comprehend style even though it's medical info.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I second this suggestion. I just started 2 cycles ago, but it doesn't take lots of work at all. There is even an online program that helps you keep your log and chart, and basically does a lot of the analytical for you. 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:c3400761-fd2e-4973-9c24-6bd09ad4b69e">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since your fiance is so huge, maybe he could wrap his junk in a ziplock bag. Gallon-size, of course.
    Posted by renegade gaucho[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have that problem myself and the gallon size with the zipper close top is great so you can make sure it's shut all the way.  Get the fridge bags though, the freezer ones are too thick and decrease the feeling.

• If you have a prescription Costco offers a free prescription program that reduces the cost of your prescriptions until you have health insurance.  Planned Parenthood will give you a prescription without a pap as long as you have had one in the past year.. Or depending on your income level you can get reduced or free care from them.

Other than that really latex free condoms (male or female) are the second best option. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:5e2ad4c6-a4a5-4b17-a93b-1e6cc51369d8">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a prescription Costco offers a free prescription program that reduces the cost of your prescriptions until you have health insurance.  Planned Parenthood will give you a prescription without a pap as long as you have had one in the past year.. Or depending on your income level you can get reduced or free care from them. Other than that really latex free condoms (male or female) are the second best option. 
    Posted by MikesAngie[/QUOTE]

She doesn't have time to go to PP. We've been over this already. Not that she's even paying attention anymore.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:2288bc63-0ca4-413f-8b34-dbfca27accf2">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : I second this suggestion. I just started 2 cycles ago, but it doesn't take lots of work at all. There is even an online program that helps you keep your log and chart, and basically does a lot of the analytical for you. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]
    Sweet!  They don't have it in the iBookstore, but I'm checking Kindle and Nook.  It looks like there's only one fertility tracking app for the iPad and a few for the iPhone, I'll do some digging to find the best one.  I'm really excited about the idea of not having to use condoms every time, and of being able to more accurately predict my period since I've always been irregular.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I think it's a great idea.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Ok, listen, all of you need to stop being bitches. I came here asking for advice on other birth control methods. I am not unwilling to listen to advice. But so far, the only advice that I have gotten is go to Planned Parenthood or stop having sex. I do not have time to go to Planned Parenthood. I work, ok? And I just started this job, so it's not kosher for me to have to take off already when I know there are other forms of birth control out there that does no require me going to a clinic or seeing a physician. What part of that aren't you women getting? I'm not being snotty about anything. I am sick and tired of people NOT READING.

And I am not unwilling to buy non-latex condoms, I am saying that I have not found any around here that are big enough for my FI. I don't know of any sites, so that's why I was asking if anyone knew. How would you like it if someone told you to just stop having sex because they're uneducated and don't know of other options? I know there are other options out there, I AM JUST ASKING FOR PEOPLE'S PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH OTC BIRTH CONTROL METHODS. I am not asking for your god damn judgement. At the moment, a wedding is more important to me than healthcare. That's my perrogative and it should not matter to you. I do not need your opinion. I am only going to need another form of birth control until the end of November, when I will be going to start the process of donating eggs. I'm already going to have to not have sex then, so I am not stopping two months prior just because most of you have your heads too far up your asses to read a damn post and realize that I am only asking for your personal experiences with OTC birth control.

And I KNOW that I can buy my prescription with cash. BUT I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY AT THE MOMENT. It's $76 for my prescription, that I'm already late on. And I just do not have that kind of money at the moment, even if it seems like a low amount to you guys.

So I am going to reiterate this one more time: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OTC BIRTH CONTROL, OR DO NOT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF BIRTH CONTROL OTHER THAN PRESCRIPTIONS, CONDOMS, OR ABSTINENCE, DON'T BOTHER TO COMMENT.
  • If all you're really looking for is a website where you can buy more suitable condoms, there's this amazing invention called Google.  I've heard good things about it.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-options-healthcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ab5ac73-3d40-416f-9178-bf4b3d186323Post:76167b25-9c19-48a2-a3d4-c40ce0d25131">Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control options without Healthcare? : Sweet!  They don't have it in the iBookstore, but I'm checking Kindle and Nook.  It looks like there's only one fertility tracking app for the iPad and a few for the iPhone, I'll do some digging to find the best one.  I'm really excited about the idea of not having to use condoms every time, and of being able to more accurately predict my period since I've always been irregular. Sorry for the threadjack, but I think it's a great idea.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

<div>I bought the book on Amazon and it came with a disk. I signed up for the beta version of hte online tracker at <a href="http://www.tcoyf.com" rel="nofollow">www.tcoyf.com</a> and it when it went live they gave me 36 months free. I bet you could use another app as long as it tracks temperature and cervical fluid both. </div>
  • I am on the birthcontrol pill Sprintec and only pay 9.00 for it w/out insurance. There are cheap options of birthcontrol out there! You just have to tell your doctor!
  • My guess is OP left her ex for hung-like-a-horse man and that's why she's so defensive. She doesn't want us to know her FI was the other man. Or that she's 18 years old. Or that she's a complete snot.
  • Hello, complete lack of problem solving skills.  I know you're long gone, OP, but in case you're lurking, because I'd like to do everything I can to help prevent you from bringing children into this world (only because you don't want them right now, of course):

1.  Call your doctor's office.  Ask for a different script for something generic and cheaper.  First, you could even call your pharmacy for suggestions on pills that are similar to the ones you were using but more cost effective.

2.  Call your doctor's office.  Say "I just lost my insurance and I can't afford my BCP.  I only need it for two more months.  Do you have any samples I could pick up on my lunch break?"  Samples are free.  All it will cost is the gas to get there. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards