Chit Chat

Favorite Freeze-able recipes?

I know a lot of recipes and foods freeze well, but I also know that some don't.

What are your favorite foods/recipes that freeze well?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?

• Do you mean freeze to eat later? 

Only thing I really do that for is Pho broth. But I don't make casseroles or lasagnas I assume they freeze well. 

I also freeze lumpia and wontons. 
    2 lbs pork
    1 inch ginger minced
    1/2 onion minced
    5 cloves of garlic minced
    3-4 carrots (small ones) minced
    Small bunch of clinatro
    1-2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    1-2 tablspoons sesame seed oil 
    2 eggs
    Garlic salt 
    Pepper
    Wonton wrappers

Mix together and fill the wonton wrappers- use water to seal the edges of the wontons 
    Freeze for later use 
    To make you can steam or fry for 3-4 minutes. 

I freeze capri suns and eat them lol. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_favorite-freeze-able-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa632df8-a497-489b-931c-6fbf73f7ec89Post:51190b43-951b-4e6d-848d-0e49b4ddbd16">Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you mean freeze to eat later? 
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]

Yep. Like I could make it while I have time, then freeze it and eat another day.

Mmmm Wontons!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_favorite-freeze-able-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa632df8-a497-489b-931c-6fbf73f7ec89Post:553cc20d-8260-41c8-969f-2323e0c146a7">Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lasagna, spaghetti & meatballs, beef stew all freeze well. As does <strong>taco meat,</strong> pulled pork (if it's on a sauce), & soups. ETA: chili freezes well, too. And tetrazzini. Actually, any pasta that has a sauce freezes pretty well.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

You know whats really sad. . . as much as DH LOVES taco night, I've never once thought of premaking the taco meat. I could smack myself for not thinking about that!

We've got a couple soups in the freezer right now and I'm planning on making a beef stew this week if I can find a recipe I like. I had one I loved and lost it. It was the kind that had all the veggies and everything. Booo.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_favorite-freeze-able-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa632df8-a497-489b-931c-6fbf73f7ec89Post:4e362d9c-4a5f-4d57-8153-bf58610d4233">Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can freeze almost anything.  We also home-can, and make large batches of stews and chilis with that in mind.  We bake extra layers of cake and cookies to freeze, too.  (I hate it when brides say they won't freeze their top layer "because it will dry." Then they AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT!) You can freeze, or even can, taco meat and hamburger. We hit the beef sales and home-can hamburger meat in pints.  It's great for nights when we're too tired to cook.  Open up a mason jar of the hamburger meat, throw it in some hamburger helper - done in ten.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I really need to look into canning. I've never done it and suppose since I now have more free time, it'd be good to learn about. That and couponing. .
    We froze our top tier. We actually precut it and wrapped smaller serving sizes. A-FRICKN-MAZING! :)

I think I would freeze more like cakes and such if we had a bigger freezer. We're trying to save for another freezer, but it's taking a while. Maybe there will be some awesome spring/summer sales.

[QUOTE]I make big batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and vegetable-beef soup and freeze them in those 'disposable' containers with the blue screw top.  You know, the disposable containers that we all reuse. If anyone wants my recipe for vegetable-beef soup, let me know. It's super-healthy. I make the beef stock one day, chill it overnight so I can get rid of any grease that solidifies, then finish making the soup the next day.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Would LOVE your recipe for the vegetable beef stew! :)
  • So what is particularly NOT freezable? I have a tendency to want to freeze everything, and that can't be 100% successful....
  • I know some herbs aren't freezebale. Or at least they don't come back out as good as before. Like, we have a bunch of cliantro. It's really cheap, but I hate to waste it because the recipes I use it in, only calls for a small amout.

I need to find a good home made salsa recipe. .

Im also not sure about chowders. Like, we have a cheesey vegetable potato chowder and tried to freeze it once and it just didn't come out right afterwards.
  • I freeze any leftover soups I have...chili is my favorite. I have also froze pasta dishes but make sure you have a nice thick noodle or it will fall apart when you unthaw it. I like to take 1 whole day a month and cook several meals to freeze and have on hand for those out of control busy nights you don't want to cook.Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_favorite-freeze-able-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa632df8-a497-489b-931c-6fbf73f7ec89Post:d821fe98-ec3d-44eb-9938-041a60fb1eaf">Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I freeze any leftover soups I have...chili is my favorite. I have also froze pasta dishes but make sure you have a nice thick noodle or it will fall apart when you unthaw it. <strong>I like to take 1 whole day a month and cook several meals to freeze and have on hand for those out of control busy nights you don't want to cook.</strong>
    Posted by lyns86stc3007[/QUOTE]

That's kind of my goal. While most nights are normal, we do have a few busy ones and I feel like it's those nights that we fail nutrition wise/ saving money wise because we'll go get fast food because we dont want to wait an hour to make dinner and eat at like 9pm.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_favorite-freeze-able-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fa632df8-a497-489b-931c-6fbf73f7ec89Post:92328660-b7af-42e8-a5a1-15ac7dbd41fb">Re: Favorite Freeze-able recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Homecanning is VERY easy. Get a copy of the Ball Blue Book, and Linda Amendt's "Blue Ribbon Preserves."  Better Homes and Gardens has a great book called, "You CAN Can." The biggest expensive is the initial outlay for equipment. You need a waterbath canner and a pressure canner (for low-acid foods and meats).  Don't buy the jars new if you can help it.  Put an ad in the WANT TO BUY section of your newspaper asking for canning jars.  Lots of people have Grandma's jars in the garage and can't wait to get rid of them. Canning is very easy, and anyone can do it.  We shop at the Farmer's Market year round, and save a fortune on fresh vegetables and fruits.  <strong>The Raleigh Farmer's Market is a treasure house!</strong>
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Totally taking your whole post into account! Thank you for the advice and suggestions :)

I LOVEEEE the farmer's market! I wish we lived closer. We're only about 30 mins away, but since I have no 'reason' to go that way, the only time we visit, is when we're on that side of town. *sigh

It really is a wonderful place though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards