Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Hog trough dance?

My brother and soon to be sister in law are getting married in July.  I am 16 days older than my brother (I am adopted) and therefore my sister in law wants me to dance in the hog trough.  I tried to convince them that since I am also engaged that its really not necessary for me to dance in the trough.  That didn't work... I am perhaps the clumsiest person ever and i dread dancing in front of everyone! Did anyone else have to dance in the trough? How bad was it?

Re: Hog trough dance?

• No if you are engaged you shouldn't have to do it obviously! Besides if you really don't want to I don't think the hog trough dance is very necessary especially since it is supposed to be for your benefit and not the bride's! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_hog-trough-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a74839b0-4c9b-453d-b9ea-0ce12eb8d712Post:4a8feac8-6004-4700-aef9-67b9d415ec2b">Hog trough dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My brother and soon to be sister in law are getting married in July.  I am 16 days older than my brother (I am adopted) and therefore my sister in law wants me to dance in the hog trough.  I tried to convince them that since I am also engaged that its really not necessary for me to dance in the trough.  That didn't work... I am perhaps the clumsiest person ever and i dread dancing in front of everyone! Did anyone else have to dance in the trough? How bad was it?
    Posted by cassiew0507[/QUOTE]

WTH is a trough dance?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_hog-trough-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:a74839b0-4c9b-453d-b9ea-0ce12eb8d712Post:35ac93fa-4ff6-45d4-a8cb-69b187ca3bd8">Re: Hog trough dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hog trough dance? : WTH is a trough dance?
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

*waiting for response*  I've never heard of this either!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • this sounds retarded. sorry. 
  • Okay, so I googled Hog Trough Dance.  How completely dreadful.

http://bridalfilms.net/blog/2008/04/pig-trough-dance-wedding-tradition.html

The idea is to humiliate the older sibling?  Sounds like a lovely wedding tradition!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_hog-trough-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a74839b0-4c9b-453d-b9ea-0ce12eb8d712Post:7d718b44-b635-4965-a12e-ca78e0e93c37">Re: Hog trough dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]this sounds r*******. sorry. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>I agree that it sounds odd, but maybe a different choice of words?  I work with special needs kids and have 2 precious cousins with special needs.  Any use of the r-word makes my blood boil and breaks my heart.  I can not just ignore it.  You can visit <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.r-word.org">www.r-word.org</a> to pledge to eliminate the use of the word.

~Emily
    </div>
  • If I were you I would just straight up refuse to do it. That sounds like a way for them to try to humiliate you. Just tell them you aren't doing it and leave it at that. Nobody can force you to do something you don't want to.

And that is probably one of the stupidest traditions I've heard of.

• Wow.  I also would refuse to do this as it just seems uncomfortable for everyone involved.  As a guest I think I would rather see a dollar dance... Ha!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This looks absolutely mortifying!  How on earth did your FSIL find this tradition?I'd never heard of it, and I really kind of think maybe nobody should.  Like PPs said, this seems like a way to humiliate older siblings.

There is NO shame in refusing to do this!!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • I had never heard of this either.  Weird.  Tell her no thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • uh yeah, tell her to eff off. no one should have to do this, engaged or otherwise
  • If my sister had told me to do this at her wedding, I would have laughed in her face.  Of course, I have no idea where we would have even gotten a hog trough to dance in, but still.  I wouldn't have even pretended to go along with it.  How ridiculous.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'm with kaufman--tell her to F off.
    Crosswalk
  • That is horrific.

I am the older sibling, but if my sister tried to make me do that, I would boycott the wedding.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• "Sorry, but I will not be doing this.  If you try to force me, I will embarrass you and make a scene at your wedding.  Please drop it."
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    If you're not confortable with doing it, then don't.  It's as easy as that.  I think if you had a fun attitude about it, though, it could be fun.  That guy in that video was certainly having fun, but being a spectacle of humiliation isn't for everyone surely.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  If she was so concerned with it being "bad luck" for her FI to get married before you, why didn't she just wait until after you got married to have her own wedding?  Tell her if she wants someone to dance in a hog trough, she'll have to do it herself.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Its actually quite popular to do in my little town and a lot of the wedding guest will actually expect it.... so i guess I will take one for the team....
  • Well I did it! I danced in the trough and it actually was fun!! My sister in law danced with me and then my brother danced with me and then my fiance... I was telling my future in laws about it and my fiances older single brother ASKED if he got to dance in the trough at my wedding.... I guess I got worked up about nothing....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards