Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gift Amount for Co-worker

What is the appropriate amount to give as a gift for a co-worker?  We are in Toledo, OH.  We are close in age, and we work in the same department.  While I sometimes see her outside of work, we are not close friends.  I am struggling with what to give her as a gift for the wedding.  I may or may not have a date.  What are your thoughts on what is appropriate?  Thanks!

Re: Gift Amount for Co-worker

• See stage's reply.
  • You can always go with the "cover your plate" route.  Are they having sit down meal or just punch and cake? 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-amount-for-co-worker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a052e3a0-72d6-4243-9d62-6dd0f4fb5832Post:05478e89-13d4-4437-99d1-16624870b247">Re: Gift Amount for Co-worker</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always go with the "cover your plate" route.  Are they having sit down meal or just punch and cake? 
    Posted by antibride2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope.  You give what you're comfortable giving.  It doesn't matter if they have cake and punch or if it's a full black tie affair.  If you're not comfortable doing more than a card, that's all you should do.  Your presence is the important part.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-amount-for-co-worker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a052e3a0-72d6-4243-9d62-6dd0f4fb5832Post:05478e89-13d4-4437-99d1-16624870b247">Re: Gift Amount for Co-worker</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always go with the "cover your plate" route.  Are they having sit down meal or just punch and cake? 
    Posted by antibride2013[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what they are serving. This line of thinking is outdated and untrue. OP, you should give whatever you can personally afford to give.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-amount-for-co-worker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a052e3a0-72d6-4243-9d62-6dd0f4fb5832Post:5d72d3f6-6222-48c0-ad60-35771fce141d">Re: Gift Amount for Co-worker</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift Amount for Co-worker : Nope.  You give what you're comfortable giving.  It doesn't matter if they have cake and punch or if it's a full black tie affair.  If you're not comfortable doing more than a card, that's all you should do.  Your presence is the important part.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]
    This. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-amount-for-co-worker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a052e3a0-72d6-4243-9d62-6dd0f4fb5832Post:bddfb820-54aa-4ec9-846b-a29ea905099f">Gift Amount for Co-worker</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the appropriate amount to give as a gift for a co-worker?  We are in Toledo, OH.  We are close in age, and we work in the same department.  While I sometimes see her outside of work, we are not close friends.  I am struggling with what to give her as a gift for the wedding.  I may or may not have a date.  What are your thoughts on what is appropriate?  Thanks!
    Posted by jetwin31[/QUOTE]

I agree with PPs that it's whatever you are comfortable with. Based on your relationship and region (I used to live in Ohio), I would give $50-75 if I went alone, $100 if I brought a date. That's not a requirement or hard and fast rule. I just thought it might be helpful to hear a specific number.
  • I think covering your plate is fine if that's what you are comfortable doing, it just isn't okay as a requirement. I'd give a coworker the same amount I would a not especially close friend.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Ditto Andrea.

Of course, gift what you can afford. I will say on average we received $50 from singles close to our age and $100 from couples.

You could also send a nice set of glassware/vase/placesetting from her registry
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-amount-for-co-worker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a052e3a0-72d6-4243-9d62-6dd0f4fb5832Post:e992cc5f-9efe-4e59-b69c-b548d9e419eb">Re:Gift Amount for Coworker</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Gift Amount for Coworker:  This is asinine.   Plus, how do you even know how much the host spent on your 'plate?' Does that calculation include just food, or alcohol and cake too? Or, would it be the total cost of the reception divided by the number of guests? Ditto PPs, just give what you can and want to.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

I do not go by that rule when it comes to gift giving.  There are a LOT of people who do however, mainly older people.  I know my grandmother goes by that rule.  I do not agree, and I do agree it is a out of date rule.  She is 85, from Ireland, and has been living in New York forever and very outspoken.  There is no changing that faux pas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards