Wedding Etiquette Forum

How much to tip the makeup artist?

The makeup artist coming to do my makeup the day of the wedding is charging me $200.  She owns her own business and included the trial free (or, well, technically she counted as part of the $200 charge).  She is traveling to me and that travel fee is included in the $200 too.

So -- how much to tip, do you suppose?  :)

Re: How much to tip the makeup artist?

• What you would tip someone doing your hair at a salon, I generally do 10-20% so I would tip her $20-$40.

P.S. As a MUA thank you for being concerned and asking this haha I don't have many bride's tip me because I think they don't know or don't think about it...even after I give them discounts for their bridal parties or trial and cut out travel fees and whatnot. But working for yourself in this industry is NOT easy so tips are VERY much appreciated :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-to-tip-the-makeup-artist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:01e97c6d-1a1c-48bd-a31c-a75f2f1c71d8Post:01ae7b08-7212-40e5-9836-b91ecf7133f5">Re:How much to tip the makeup artist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always tip anyone who has a direct hand in my looks, regardless of if they own the business or not, so I'd set aside 40 to tip her, but would be willing to tip less if I didn't think she'd earned the full 20.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-to-tip-the-makeup-artist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:01e97c6d-1a1c-48bd-a31c-a75f2f1c71d8Post:7b21ed17-9f80-462a-b92d-110182d555e2">Re:How much to tip the makeup artist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:How much to tip the makeup artist?:

What I never understood was why do you tip people who can set their own prices? Don't charge me 100 if you need/want a 20 tip on top of that. Just charge me 120.

That said, I did tip my MUA.
    Posted by bree4305[/QUOTE]

Even though MUA's set their own prices if I were to include tip in my prices I would probably get zero work. In the area I live in the typical bridal makeup application rate is about $50-$55 a person so I have to be sure to set my prices competitively. For instance, my rate for a bride and her trial is $100 (again this is typical for my region, some areas are more, some are less) so if I were to include what I would like for tip in the price then the potential client is just going to go with the MUA who is $20 less most times. I don't really expect tips at all because I think that is not typical for my region either but it is definitely appreciated when I receive it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thank you for your input, everyone!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards