Wedding Etiquette Forum

Strange Invitation question...

As some of you probably know about me...

My dad and I moved in together a couple of years ago. About 15+ years ago my parents got divorced. My mom now lives on the other side of the country with her boyfriend. She kept her married name, at first for job reasons and then because that's what everyone was used to, I guess.

Today a wedding invitation came in the mail from my dad's cousin's daughter. It's addressed to my dad and ... I think my mom.
I mean, I know it's addressed to her. It's addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. Johnny Smith"
And, yes, they put my dad's childhood nickname on the envelope lol.

So.... this is weird, right? There is actually a chance they don't know my parents are divorced. Or maybe it was an honest mistake and they meant to put "Ms/Miss.?"

I don't think we're able to go, but if we do go... I feel super awkward RSVPing with my name, if they really are expecting my mom. What should I do when RSVPing, whether it be yes or no?

Re: Strange Invitation question...

• Unless the "Mrs." was intended for my grandmother? She doesn't live in the house anymore, she chose to move into a senior living residence. The Mr and Mrs are on the same line, though. The last name is on the line below it. It's all very bizarre to me.
    I can go to her place tomorrow and see if she got a seperate invitation.
  • Either way, if these people don't know A) you live there, B) your mom doesn't live there and hasn't for 15+ years, and C) your grandmother doesn't live there either, I wouldn't go. That's really a stretch. OR, if they DO know, and you aren't invited, but they sent something for your grandmother even though she doesn't live there, I'd be ticked at that, too.

Find out first if she got an invitation. And if you aren't going anyway, I'd just send it back saying you can't go, but I'd REALLY want to say "by the way, my parents were divorced in 1995." Because I'm kinda snatchy.
  • Your dad's cousin's daughter is getting married.
    So this is your dad's business.
    HE deals with the RSVP/who's invited issues by calling his cousin on the phone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:6cf89eb5-ab9a-47e0-8eb5-57670b2b4a2d">Re: Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your dad's cousin's daughter is getting married. So this is your dad's business. HE deals with the RSVP/who's invited issues by calling his cousin on the phone.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]
    I'm related, too, though, aren't I? I think she's my second cousin, right? Does that change who could deal with this or is it still only his business?
  • In Response to Re:Strange Invitation question...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Strange Invitation question...:Your dad's cousin's daughter is getting married. So this is your dad's business. HE deals with the RSVP/who's invited issues by calling his cousin on the phone.Posted by Kristin789I'm related, too, though, aren't I? I think she's my second cousin, right? Does that change who could deal with this or is it still only his business? Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

Nope. You weren't invited. This isn't your situation to deal with but I do think your dad should address it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:6c9b3f3b-826d-4f10-b13b-2438381606f5">Re:Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Strange Invitation question...: Nope. You weren't invited. This isn't your situation to deal with but I do think your dad should address it.
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]
    omigosh, not that <em>I</em> would call them or anything. That would be super awkward for everyone. I just meant that I'm just as related to the couple getting married as my dad is, that's all. I guess the way Kristin phrased it hit a raw nerve, but it's not a big deal lol.

No no, I def won't be dealing with this one, other than seeing if my grandmother got her own invitation because my dad has work tomorrow and I have off, so that only makes sense for me to do that part, at least. I'm just asking what everyone thought about the names on the envelope because we're both curious, and it's not like my dad can ask you guys, so I'm sorta voicing both our concerns lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:8df35285-c2eb-40c2-8ccc-21704b3dbf24">Re: Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's really odd. Some people are just clueless when it comes to addressing mail.    Evidently, my brother, his girlfriend, my sister, her boyfriend and H and I were included on my parents' Save the Date from my cousin.  It was sent to my parents' house in MA, 3000 miles away from where I live. My brother and sister both live out of state, as well.. I wouldn't have cared if they were trying to save a few bucks and didn't mail them to cousins.  We all know when the wedding is, so that's fine.  The fact that my empty-nester parents got a postcard-sized piece of mail addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. MyParents, Dr. Kinda and Mr. Sparkly, Mr. Brother Ms. Brother's GF, Ms. Sister, Ms. Sister's BF" struck them as really odd. One of the instances where "and Family" would have been equally incorrect but significantly less bulky. <strong>The Save the Date was also "from" the couple's dog and written in "dog-speak."</strong>
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]
    At that point they might as well have put And Family because even though it's so wrong, what they did was wrong. Either way they would have been wrong, but at least it would have saved space and wasted less time lol.

to the bolded part - omfg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:4159fa13-86e5-4e2b-921f-31eb778bd458">Re: Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Strange Invitation question... : Yeah, Beefaroni wants us to Save the Date; he's wearing a Dog-shaming-ish sign. Another cute-on-Pinterest-weird-in-execution phenomenon. 
    o.0
    I'm horrified and laughing so hard right now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:23c38b59-51b6-4e3d-b226-ac30ae7a57f5">Re: Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I had a picture of the stupid thing.  The closest I can find online is the dog with the "My humans are getting married sign" <a href="http://www.gooseberrygala.com/2012/11/27/save-the-date-ideas/" rel="nofollow">http://www.gooseberrygala.com/2012/11/27/save-the-date-ideas/</a> Theirs made a goofy joke about BYOB... Bring your own Bone. 
    That's such an awkward joke because you know some people are going to think they're clever and actually bring a bone...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_strange-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c88c160-e2af-4d7e-a3db-820bc5e31eeaPost:a739f458-ec47-4662-8213-d302628c5f7c">Re: Strange Invitation question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Strange Invitation question... : Ha! I totally thought about doing that... it would have been a (plastic) funny bone to be "humerus."  However, despite their questionable addressing skills and bad dog jokes, I actually like this cousin and his fiancee. He tolerates my bad medical jokes.
    lol so it's probably just another tale of Pinterest claiming another formerly sane victim.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards