Wedding Etiquette Forum

Superficial Gripe

So evidently my skin does not like my newly intensified workout routine.  It looks like I will have to choose between being a chunky bride with a nice complexion or a fit bride with the face of a preteen.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm going to try to be more diligent about washing my face immediately post-workout but other than that I am clueless as to what to do.  I've never really had bad skin so I'm new at this.

Or, if you don't give a crap about my breakouts (totally understandable), do you have any superficial gripes to share?

Re: Superficial Gripe

• Kati I have those dove (or ponds??) make up remover cloths in my gym bag... thery are pretty gentle (not like stridex alcohol wipes), are really quick and work great!
  • Chunky, my ass *eye-roll*

What products do you use, and what's your regimen?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_superficial-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:902d6e19-7d0a-4bd3-9273-203e86b8e3d1Post:5bd7ef5c-ee39-4dd9-994c-1699686d9d6e">Re: Superficial Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kati I have those dove (or ponds??) make up remover cloths in my gym bag... thery are pretty gentle (not like stridex alcohol wipes), are really quick and work great!
    Posted by TheSaltyPeanut[/QUOTE]

Oh I just have the crappy alcoholish ones, maybe I will look into those instead!  It's really just a question of wiping away the grease (eww).
  • Maybe try some OTC acne medication first, and if that doesn't work, see a dermatologist. 

• I'm all ears... errr... eyes on this one.  I went off my BCP about two months ago because they were throwing me off whack and now my skin looks like a 13-year old boys'.  Lovely. 

Kati, have you tried drinking tons more water?  You might be sweating a lot more and seeing the difference on your skin.  Other than that, I gots nada. 
  • When I used to hit the gym I would try to splash water on my face as soon as I could. Sweat can do bad things to my face. I use the Clean and Clear cooling toner when I get bad break outs and it helps them go away faster.
  • Wash your face pre-workout too. If you have any make-up on when you go in there, it might not be the best combo with sweat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What products do you use, and what's your regimen?

Umm, err, I have some drugstore brand of foaming stuff that I use before bed, and some Proactive cream stuff that I can apply directly to blemishes when need be.  And I've been using the alcohol pad things post-workout when I can remember.  I by no means have an awesome regimen.  I seriously went through all of college without even washing my face outside of the shower and have just within the past few years been like "oh, I guess I should do that."
  • I less than three Biore. I use the face wipes to take the make up off, two different types of face wash (complexion cleaning and blemish fighting - not on the same use) and the moisturizer/spf lotion.

And the nose strips every once in a while.
  • Yeah, I went through a bunch of different ones too before I came to these... I think they are actually called makeup remover towelettes... haha that's the same exact reason I need them for after a workout :)
  • edited February 2010
    If I start getting a few blemishes, I'll use a cleanser with triclosan in it, which is an antibacterial. 
  • Wash your face pre-workout too. If you have any make-up on when you go in there, it might not be the best combo with sweat.

This is a good point too, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm sure it's also stress on top of just the sweat/dehydration from exercising, but the stress is much less controllable at this point.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Too much cleansing can be a problem, since it irritates the skin. Try just using plain water post-workout until you cool down and your blood vessels go back to being their normal selves. Try a gentler soap, like Cetaphil, with no fragrance.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Is your skin dry or oily? If it's dry, do NOT use alcohol based products, they'll dry it out more and this could be causing your skin to break out. The same can be said if it's oily, don't use oil based products, use water based and alcohol is alright, it'll clear the extra oils from your skin and allow it to breathe better.
  • Yeah, I'm thinking that using something really harsh on your skin post work out is actually aggravating your pores more rather than less.  Like PP mentioned, maybe you should just splash some water on until you cool down and then wash with a gentle cleanser.  I used to use super harsh stuff but then realized it was just making it worse.

I really love Aveeno stuff.
  • You may also just need to change up your cleanser and toner. I have to rotate every 6 months or so because, like with shampoo, it stops being effective after awhile so I switch between Clinique, Aveda and Aveeno products.
  • Is your skin dry or oily? If it's dry, do NOT use alcohol based products, they'll dry it out more and this could be causing your skin to break out. The same can be said if it's oily, don't use oil based products, use water based and alcohol is alright, it'll clear the extra oils from your skin and allow it to breathe better.

I wouldn't say my skin is super dry or super oily, although the T zone gets more oily than the rest.  I think I will try going back to just water immediately post-workout and then a mild cleanser at night, and removing my makeup pre-workout.  Although, to be even more superficial, I feel self conscious seeing my super hot trainer without at least some concealer.  Yeah, that sounds even worse when I write it out.
  • I vote for removing make up pre-workout and a splash with water post. Don't want to dry yourself out with over washing.

Even more gross, the area under my sports bra straps always breaks out. So I can have a jiggly ass or shoulder acne. I've tried everything from switching bras to showering immediately post-work out to acne body wash.
  • dove or clinique wipes pre AND post workout does the trick.

i currently use a fantastic product line called No.7. i have finicky skin and this stuff keeps it clean and "glowy" looking.

if you have anything on your face while you are working out, the sweat will clog it in your pores.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_superficial-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:902d6e19-7d0a-4bd3-9273-203e86b8e3d1Post:ded6d53a-c79b-4cd5-86fc-e5f6b86ec0f9">Re: Superficial Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE] i currently use a fantastic product line called No.7. i have finicky skin and this stuff keeps it clean and "glowy" looking.
    Posted by lannerjarv[/QUOTE]

Is this the Boots' stuff from the UK? Becuase I luff it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_superficial-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:902d6e19-7d0a-4bd3-9273-203e86b8e3d1Post:c135285c-0f38-437a-b953-fae69d09513f">Re: Superficial Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote for removing make up pre-workout and a splash with water post. Don't want to dry yourself out with over washing. Even more gross, the area under my sports bra straps always breaks out. So I can have a jiggly ass or shoulder acne. I've tried everything from switching bras to showering immediately post-work out to acne body wash.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]
    loofah will become your best friend.
    same thing happens to me, and once i started using a loofah a couple times a week followed by in shower body lotion (olay has a gooder) this stopped happening.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_superficial-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:902d6e19-7d0a-4bd3-9273-203e86b8e3d1Post:0a02e0af-a5be-458b-b333-5a8668308cd6">Re: Superficial Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Superficial Gripe : Is this the Boots' stuff from the UK? Becuase I luff it.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]
    we have it at Shoppers Drugmart here in Canada.. in the "higher end" section.
    it works 50 gazillion times better than the lancome products i used to use.

i baby my skin.  my mother and grandmother both have wrinkles like woah and i'm doing everything in my power to prevent that. lol
  • Yeah it is the Boots stuff. I was a happy camper when Shoppers finally started carrying it.
  • If loofah-ing different from scrubby glove-ing? I have the somewhat abrasive bath gloves that I use the body wash with. I'll check out the in shower lotion, though. I always lotion post shower.
  • I personally break out LESS when I work out, so I really dont know but any makeup on your face when youre sweating is not a great idea. I dont think my face cleaning regime will work for you (different needs) but I use clearasil ultra exfoliating wash on my trouble zones and plain dove soap everywher else, and normally it keeps me clear.
  • I will second (third?) the vote for Dove. I have the cleanser with microbeads, instead of the wipes. It's very gentle, but leaves my face feeling clean and moisturized.
  • I personally break out LESS when I work out

Jealous!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_superficial-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:902d6e19-7d0a-4bd3-9273-203e86b8e3d1Post:bffb528d-6a92-4883-b372-051418bbe2f5">Re: Superficial Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]I less than three Biore. I use the face wipes to take the make up off, two different types of face wash (complexion cleaning and blemish fighting - not on the same use) and the moisturizer/spf lotion. And the nose strips every once in a while.
    Posted by scoetto[/QUOTE]

I LOVE their moisturizer with SPF. And the face strips are just fascinating in a gross way.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I think we have the same skin.  Since high-school, all I do is wash my face in the shower and put on olay eye cream around my eyes!  I used to get like 2 pimples when I would have TOM, that's it.  I would try washing your face with a very mild cleanser right after you work out. 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Mery, I always have to examine them after ripping them off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards