Getting in Shape

I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P

My mother and I have both lost a good amount of weight from taking the diet pill Phentermine. Here's what's written on my bottle - Phentermine CAP 30MG BL/CL if that means anything to anybody.

The doctor told me to stay under 1200 calories a day, and walk 30 minutes 4 days a week and I should be my ideal weight for my wedding.

Well I started taking the pill and immediately I noticed that I was less hungry. There was no way I could stay under 1200 calories a day if it weren't for
this pill. Sometimes I even skip lunch, even though it's not recommended. The Dr. told me to eat a small breakfast too but I'm not much of a breakfast person so perhaps If I did eat when she told me too I'd loose even more weight.

After a month of taking the pill ( I only walked for 30 minutes ONCE haha ) I went back to the Dr. and she weighed me and said I lost 10.5 pounds. I was kind of in shock for a while after I heard this and then got all excited once it sunk in.

I hardly did anything at all! All I did was take that pill and I lost frickin' 10 pounds in one month. I haven't been able to afford to go back to the Dr. to get weighed again but I've had enough pills to last me 2 whole months and while I haven't weighed myself again ( I'm waiting for the scale at the Dr. ) all of my friends and family have commented on how much weight I've lost. I can tell I'm loosing slower than the first month but I haven't really walked or exercised at all!

I take the pill Mon-Thru and take a break on the weekends so I can splurge a little and so the pills have a strong effect on Monday. I've noticed that the few days where I don't take it it's still in my system so I'm still not as hungry.

Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P

• i don't trust diet pills.
    Photobucket
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You and your doctor are both idiots. Please just go.
  • That sounds like a terrible idea.  The only way to true weight loss is eating right, and exercise.  To me, it sounds like you are loosing weight by not eating, which is also called anorexia.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    On this board, we promote safe weight-loss practices that involve diet and exercise, calorie counting, etc. Most of us don't trust pills. 
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010

1200 Calories is not healthy.  Your body will not get the proper nutrients it needs from a diet like that.   And I won't even touch the issue of these pills.  Your "doctor" is a fool if he advised you to do this.  It's dangerous.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Your doctor is a quack for telling you to lose weight without eating healthy or exercising. You may lose weight but you will be in such poor health. I don't even believe an actual doctor told you to do this.

How do you plan on maintaining your weightloss? Are you going to take these pills forever? I wouldn't, they will probably make you ill and have awful side effects; honestly, people have died from diet pills. And when you stop taking them, all that weight will come right back on because you don't exercise or eat right. 

Also, the odds are those pills are just dehydrating you and you've lost more water than anything else which won't change your size or shape in the long run. You need a new doctor and attitude asap.
  • Is this real? Seems like fake or spammer.
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Well, enjoy all that weight, and more, coming back on once you stop taking those pills.

And seriously, laughing about not working out?  That's just stupid.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your attitude about weight loss is seriously flawed. Phentermine is a strong stimulant and you cannot take it forever to keep weight off. Once you stop taking the drug, if you don't eat right and exercise, you will gain everything back. This so called yo-yo effect is more damaging to your health than just being overweight. Hopefully your doctor already spoke to you about this, but phentermine can be habit forming (it's related to amphetamine) and can have serious side effects. Here is some more info on it:

http://www.drugs.com/phentermine.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phentermine/AN01715

Also, skipping meals is not healthy and will not help you lose weight. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will be glad to offer advice and answer any questions you have about nutrition and exercise, but no one will advocate relying on a pill to lose weight. Sustainable results require effort, and if you're not willing to do what it takes to get healthy, you're going to end up right back where you started. I'm sorry if this sounds preachy, but it's the truth. Please reconsider what you're doing for the sake of your health.
    Anniversary
  • Not only are the pills a terrible idea, but you seem almost PROUD that you only walked one time (for 30 min) in a month.

Walking for 30 minutes is NOTHING. And you can only manage that once a month?

Everyone on this board enjoys and promotes exercise. It may be hard to get out of bed to go to the gym, but we do it. Because it's good for you- not just for weight loss, but for your heart, your mental state, and more.

No offense, but your attitude disgusts me. We come in all sizes here, but we all want to get healthy, and the only way to do that is to exercise and eat right.
  • This is the same person that posted the waist clinchers. I just noticed that.
  • edited May 2010
    Your "doctor" should have his medical license revoked. And imagine how much you would lose (take note of the spelling) if you quite being lazy and walked...shocker hey?
  • I didn't realize this would be taken so harshly. I was just amazed that I lost the weight without having to exercise  for hours each day and thought I'd share the word. Sometimes people need help getting started - like myself. The pills aren't meant to be taken forever just something to help start the process. There are lots of women who take diet pills from legit Dr.'s to help get quick results so they are more motivated.

I'm not a spammer and I'm not PROUD to be lazy I just hate exercise - like alot of women do. I am lazy and I'm not afraid to admit it - I'm not proud of it just like I'm not proud my weight - but I'll admit I'm over weight. I was just amazed by it all.

I'm very disappointed by how I'm being treated on this forum when I'm only trying to help. There are lots of ways to tell someone that you don't believe in diet pills without cutting me down like this...
  • Also to clear some things up

The Dr. did tell me to eat breakfast, lunch, a snack, and dinner. She told me to exercise and count calories - the pill is just a boost to help things along. So just to make things clear my Dr. isn't telling me to starve myself and I'm not starving myself I just find that I'm not as hungry ( which is what the pill is suppose to do ) there are lots of natural vitamins you can take to suppress hunger, do people have issues with those as well? I can see why people would be against pills, I had no idea how there was this many, but like I mentioned above there are better ways to express your personal without insulting me or putting me down.

I'm not against diet and exercise at all - and I'm not some obese person who just lays inside eating potato chips all day. I walk dogs for an animal shelter once a week and get a moderate amount of exercise throught out the week doing stuff like that. I would just rather do other things than jump up and down to an arobecs tape or go to the gym. I work full time and when I get home I want to enjoy myself spending time doing things I really enjoy.

I'm not lazy in other aspects of my life - just when it comes to exercise and laundry- I tend to put those off. At least I'm honest about it. I work hard and am grateful that I have a body I can use and I don't put it to waste. I may be over weight but I don't just sit on my ass all day doing nothing.
  • NebbNebb member
    Nobody here needs your kind of help.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:e4fb615e-15f4-4c98-b2eb-60b212ce4c44">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nobody here needs your kind of help.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Didn't your mother ever teach you the saying "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all" ?

I don't know why you feel the need to attack me? I'm guessing you respond this way to anyone who posts something you don't agree with.
  • You should have considered reading some of the stickies on top, but I think people have difficulty with doing that here on TK... odd.

If you had read, you would have known that we do not support quick-fix or unhealthy weight loss.  What you are doing is not healthy.  Most of us on this board are looking for sustatinable life changes.  You said so yourself, these pills are not a long-term solution for you. 

Your attitude in both posts was very cheeky which may have been why you got some of the responses that you did. 

Didn't your mom tell you to "think before you speak"?  That's basically the equivalent of reading the stickies before you post.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • By promoting these diet pills you're endangering the health of others who might take your awful advice (and of course you're risking your own health too). You gave terrible advice and they corrected you. If you can't handle hearing that your little tricks are unhealthy and dangerous then don't post them here.

If you're interested in getting over your attitude and getting healthy, everyone here would love to help.  In the mean time, please go see a real doctor (not the diet pill quack) they can get you on the right track to the healthy lifestyle you need.
  • I did not mean to come across as cheeky- I tried to add some humor to my post but I can see how people could misinterpreted that since it's just text they are reading.

You are right I should have read the stickies - I just didn't realize that so many women thought that diet pills were this unhealthy. Now I know! haha

Overall I had good intentions when I posted this and was only trying to help and I am hurt that people have responded so rudely. Like I said above, I was not trying to be cheeky in my post just silly - I thought it might get a smile out of someone. : /
  • I've been calorie counting for over a month now, and I've lost 12 pounds by staying between 1200 and 1600 a day. I think this pill may not be necessary.

(Also, you should NEVER go under 1200. That's like starving yourself.)

Be careful!

The walking sounds good, though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:329aa643-8dc7-400b-b014-461e56405d8b">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]By promoting these diet pills you're endangering the health of others who might take your awful advice (and of course you're risking your own health too). You gave terrible advice and they corrected you. If you can't handle hearing that your little tricks are unhealthy and dangerous then don't post them here. If you're interested in getting over your attitude and getting healthy, everyone here would love to help.  In the mean time, please go see a real doctor (not the diet pill quack) they can get you on the right track to the healthy lifestyle you need.
    Posted by katie312[/QUOTE]

<font>I don't mind being corrected - that's not what I'm upset about. I'm just upset by the name calling and insulting which is not necessary when correcting someone.

I'm going to mention to my diet Dr. and another Dr. that a lot of women are claiming this pill is dangerous and see what they say. I know diet pills in general have a bad rap but I had no idea they were considered this dangerous - I thought the ones prescribed by Dr.'s had most of the kinks worked out.</font>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:bac447e9-ab54-4b2a-8a70-f44384cbf409">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been calorie counting for over a month now, and I've lost 12 pounds by staying between 1200 and 1600 a day. I think this pill may not be necessary. (Also, you should NEVER go under 1200. That's like starving yourself.) Be careful! The walking sounds good, though :)
    Posted by loritajean[/QUOTE]

After hearing about how dangerous this pill is I think I will try to stay between that amount without using the pill. I usually, even with the pill, end up at about 1300 a day.  I really I hope I can keep at it without the extra support! : )
  • mynameskatiemynameskatie member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:36bdf0b7-96e3-487f-a60e-bbb04f4a3d61">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P : Didn't your mother ever teach you the saying "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all" ? I don't know why you feel the need to attack me? I'm guessing you respond this way to anyone who posts something you don't agree with.
    Posted by bluebunneh[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you're the only one who agrees with you. If you don't want responses don't post on a public forum. We are treating you harshly because you are promoting something unhealthy and we want other people considering this option to know that it is not a healthy weight loss option. Are we just supposed to let you make suggestions about stuff like this and not say anything? That's not going to happen.
  • "To each their own." If that's how someone wants to lose weight then whatever, go for it. Who are we to judge.

• NebbNebb member
    Uugh is no body new to this board capable of reading stickies? Seriously??
  • ooooh! oooooh! i heard about this awesome new thing, it lets you eat whatever you want and not work out and lose all the weight you want! it's called COCAINE!

(unlike OP, i am being sarcastic. just in case that was not clear)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:f4dfc4b1-140d-4b93-a511-fcf61ef78c30">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uugh is no body new to this board capable of reading stickies? Seriously??
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it was this thread or another one I was called out on but I apologized for not reading the stickies. And I didn't not know the women on this board felt so strongly about diet pills.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lost-10-pound-1-month-still-being-lazy-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:765b7cc0-3bb2-49a5-9757-75ef018da770Post:cf581978-eb68-4f72-a652-554e57563b5e">Re: I lost 10 pound in 1 month while still being lazy :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]ooooh! oooooh! i heard about this awesome new thing, it lets you eat whatever you want and not work out and lose all the weight you want! it's called COCAINE! (unlike OP, i am being sarcastic. just in case that was not clear)
    Posted by mrscheetah[/QUOTE]

Let's do a line together mrscheetah!
  • edited May 2010
    Blue, I'm so sorry that you've been treated like this. I identify with you.

I hate the way ppl on here just jump on anyone who isn't on the "hours in the gym" and "eating salads and bran" program. People have DIFFERENT personalities. People like DIFFERENT things. DIFFERENT things work for DIFFERENT people. Get off your high horses folks!

If busting ur *** in the gym to lose a measly 1 or 2 pounds a week works for you, I'm glad. But please understand that it doesn't fulfill everyone. Some people need to see that scale shift significantly before they could get the motivation to do what you guys are doing now. You're absolutely right: the "slow and healthy" way is the only way to maintain a healthy weight, but don't kick anyone who needs a quick boost before they start that. Face it, two weeks of SENSIBLE crash dieting (yes, there is such a thing) never killed anyone and can be a great benefit to many.

Blue, I'd be careful with those pills if I were you. Just find something sensible and quick if that's what you feel you need, try not to stay on for too long and be sure to end it all up with healthy eating (and perhaps regular exercise) which is the only way to KEEP the weight off. 
  • bluebunneh-I'm sorry you were attacked so harshly on here. I'm sure there were better/nicer ways the women on here could have expressed their views on diet pills without cutting you down. This blog was created as a support system and I'm sorry that you did not feel that you were supported even though people did not agree with your method.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards