Outdoor Weddings
Options

Dressing up Picnic Tables?

My Fall wedding will be outdoors at a park pavilion. Our theme is vintage. I'm unsure of how to deal with the picnic tables and dresses and what not??? I was considering just lining the seats with some fabric or something like a runner? Idk.. I need ideas for sure....
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Dressing up Picnic Tables?

• Options
    Our wedding was on a picnic pavilion as well. We made sure the tables and benches were freshly painted, so we didn't have to worry about splinters and snags, and we didn't make any attempt to cover or dress up the seats.

We also rented extra regular tables and chairs to accommodate anyone that would have a hard time getting in or out of the picnic table, for whatever reason. We didn't have a seating chart, so this worked well. I'm not sure it would be possible to accurately plan for who you think should have which kind of seat.

For decoration, we did a fabric runner with some combination of doilies, candles, books, and flowers. The combination was a little different on each table.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_dressing-up-picnic-tables-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:1c563a79-728a-46ab-855e-ab0a075e69caPost:4589ad26-40ea-4539-aba0-c3e1d7e46728">Re: Dressing up Picnic Tables?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding was on a picnic pavilion as well. We made sure the tables and benches were freshly painted, so we didn't have to worry about splinters and snags, and we didn't make any attempt to cover or dress up the seats. We also rented extra regular tables and chairs to accommodate anyone that would have a hard time getting in or out of the picnic table, for whatever reason. We didn't have a seating chart, so this worked well. I'm not sure it would be possible to accurately plan for who you think should have which kind of seat. For decoration, we did a fabric runner with some combination of doilies, candles, books, and flowers. The combination was a little different on each table.
    Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]

Our tables are not painted at all... :( That's why I worry about snags.  We are not doing a seating chart either. I want people to feel free to sit with who they want to. We are having a burlap runner on each table with a few fall things/flower arrangesments..very modge podge vintagey feeling. Good idea to have a table for those who can't sit.
  • Options
    Love the idea of burlap as table runner and you could use it on the seats tooI I wonder if you could staple the burlap on the underside of the bench in a few places to hold it in place or maybe tie it with some ribbon or rope on the ends? I just posted a tablescape on my blog using old leather belts as napkin rings...I bet you could use old leather belts on the ends of the benches to add a rustic look. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2012/09/country-western-tablescape-ralph-and.html come by and see some of my tablescape ideas that have a country elegant mix to them...maybe you will find some ideas from those. Karin :)
  • Options
    what about providing rusticy cushions for sitting on? just little flattish ones, white or beige muslin with a big button in the middle? Kinda like a chair pad?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2012

We had our wedding in a park pavilion also. The tables were freshly painted and we used simple brown tablecloths with lace table runners with gold trim. For the centerpieces, we usaed white vases with red roses, sat them atop a white plate, surrounded it with gold river rocks and moss, and topped them off with a butterfly. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_dressing-up-picnic-tables-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:1c563a79-728a-46ab-855e-ab0a075e69caPost:79929b31-4dee-48d6-a396-43f6a34283e8">Re: Dressing up Picnic Tables?</a>:
    [QUOTE]what about providing rusticy cushions for sitting on? just little flattish ones, white or beige muslin with a big button in the middle? Kinda like a chair pad?
    Posted by jcrmc[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that..but that could get costly for the tables.
  • Options
    flordekrysflordekrys member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    The burlap sounds lovely, to me its all you really need if you wanna be frugal. Just get some vintage decorations or centerpiece and maybe some table linings, made of paper or linen. Vintage can just be whatever you put together really, doesn't have to be fancyspancy. Picnic tables are a bit rustic/vintage by themselves (I think).

To me, I'd just say as long as the people get to sit somewhere. LOL  Wink 
    Etsy.com has great vintage things as well.
  • Options
    I'd get some burlap or other sturdy fabric for the seats if they are snaggy.  Maybe get some cheap batting (the interior part of pillows/stuffed animals) to maybe fluff it up.

Here are some table ideas I had saved for picnic tables and pavilions because at one point that is what I had to work with as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards