Wedding Reception Forum

Stuck on food...

So this is a horrible thing for me to post because im a chef... but im stuck on what to serve at my wedding.. im catering most of it myself with my executive chef doing all the cooking the day of wedding and his younger brother being a runner.Both as gifts to FI and I.  But im stuck on what to serve... i have Vegetarians, Vegan, Cant have dairy, cant have garlic, no seafood... and the combination just about every way you could go. Im also having a VERY budgeted wedding in the reception hall of our church, lucky for me i know how to set it up to have it look nice... but then comes the food. I can do it like its nothing when budget doesn't matter.. but im having a hard time trying to figure out what i can/should do... Its going to be buffet style for around 120...im thinking something like this (keeping in mind its semi casual, Sundays cloths pretty much)

Entrees:
Vegetarian Lasagna
Homemade Mac n Cheese.
Panko Encrusted Baked chicken
BBQ Pulled pork
Vegan Dish: ?????

Sides:
Fresh veggie (whatever is in season from my purveyor)
Roasted Fingerling potatoes
Salad Bar
Dinner rolls with butter
Fresh Fruit Display with an amaretto cream dip
Cheese and Cracker Display with a Baked Bree filled with a fresh raspberry compote
Crudite's with a Roasted Garlic and Herb Dip

Apps:
Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
Shrimp Cocktail (40/50 ct)
Lil Smokeys in a beer and brown sugar reduction
Port-wine Meatballs

To much?? Not enough for a buffet?? What do you all think? Ive got a qoute from vendors for most everything and they only run me around 500$ for all the ingredients, so its pretty cheap.. but what do you think of the selection?
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Stuck on food...

• Sounds really good to me.   

I'm not vegan and I don't have any vegan friends.  I'm not help there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think your appetizers are too heavy, meatballs and smokies, pick one, then add something else on the lighter side.  Or....3 appetizers are fine
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_stuck-on-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3e3e8547-1431-420e-91a7-0a18a9940d64Post:70683a67-ca4a-4003-8ab5-9ee395df51e7">Re: Stuck on food...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your appetizers are too heavy, meatballs and smokies, pick one, then add something else on the lighter side.  Or....3 appetizers are fine
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]
    funny you say that, cause those are the two things FI said he HAS to have.. he loves them. hmm maybe ill see if he can choose one... the port wine meatballs are pretty pricey as the port itself is like 9$ a bottle and it would take 2 in order to have enough.  Thanks for the input!

Anyone else? :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_stuck-on-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3e3e8547-1431-420e-91a7-0a18a9940d64Post:71afe2ef-69a3-4b62-9f2a-edcce9d0f7cc">Re: Stuck on food...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds really good to me.    I'm not vegan and I don't have any vegan friends.  I'm not help there.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!  i mainly quoted you cause your dog in your signature makes me want to squish his/her face and kiss it! So cute!
  • edited April 2012
    Our vegan option was vegetable strudel, something like this (link).  You could throw some lentils in to make it a little heartier.  Also make sure that the veggie and potato sides are kept vegan (no butter) to give vegans more to eat.  Other ideas--Moroccan chickpea stew w/rice or couscous, or mushroom ravioli (or butternut squash, grilled veggies, etc.).  If you have ravioli as your vegan option, you might consider cutting one of the other pastas, or replacing it with something else.

If the apps will be served during cocktail hour, I would have something else vegetarian/vegan (I'm assuming the mushrooms are at least vegetarian), even if it's just moving your crudite platter to cocktail hour.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_stuck-on-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3e3e8547-1431-420e-91a7-0a18a9940d64Post:2b904e31-32b3-413d-91da-3808539361b6">Re: Stuck on food...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stuck on food... : Thanks!  i mainly quoted you cause your dog in your signature makes me want to squish his/her face and kiss it! So cute!
    Posted by C&MMartel[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards