Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for alcohol?

Not to sound like my fiance and I have a drinking problem (we don't we are fresh out of college ha) but we are avid wine and craft beer drinkers.  Would it be inappropriate to register for wine or craft beer at one of the places we register?  Not saying we would register for $100/bottles either, we wouldn't buy it ourselves, therefore we would never expect a family member or friend to shelve out that kind of money either!  Also, to clarify, this would not mean that they provide the alcohol for the reception. This would strictly be gifts they could choose to buy instead of towels or something.

Re: Registering for alcohol?

• Skip it. Register for barware, but I think alcohol is tacky. 
  • Fair enough, and a good subsitute. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • I wouldn't do it, but along with barware, you could consider registering for, e.g., a homebrewing kit, a small wine fridge or pretty wine rack, that sort of thing.

FWIW, some of our friends who knew we were into this stuff got us gift cards to the local wine store.  Not because we registered for it, just because they know what we like.  :)
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Registering for bar items sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't register for alcohol itself.
  • In Response to Re: Registering for alcohol?:
    [QUOTE]I honestly see this as no different than registering for cheese or doughnuts or potato chips and dip.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

exactly.  It's weird to registry for food and beverages.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We have registered for two wine sets and two Caroline's Cakes gourmet cakes - which can be frozen and then thawed for birthdays or dinner parties.  I personally see no issue with registering for something for your home.  I would be less supportive registering for something I felt you could just run down the road and grab on a whim, but something a bit more exotic or special (like a limited edition beer) I would be fine with. 

• In Response to Re:Registering for alcohol?:
    [QUOTE]I do find it interesting that a few months back a poster asked the same thing about wine, and the consensus was that was a great idea.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Huh.  Had I replied to that one, I definitely would have vetoed it.
  • Sleeper's right, but from scanning the thread from a few months ago, it is mostly different people who replied to the old thread click
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards