Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Braving the Brazilian???

Help!  I would really LOVE to be completely "clean" down there for my wedding night/honeymoon, but I am so SCARED!  I have had my eyebrows and legs waxed before, and this may sound weird, but I think it feels good!  I know that bikini waxes are going to hurt a LOT worse though!  I am getting married in January and didn't know if I should try a regular bikini wax first and if I can handle it, brave the Brazilian or what?! Any advice!? I am so scared, but I want to do it... if it is unbearable though, I'll just shave or something! Help!!! Thanks!

Re: Braving the Brazilian???

• I am interested to hear responses to this because I feel the same way.. LOL. I've heard that taking tylenol 20 minutes before helps big time....
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I did one 3 days before my wedding -- I just took the plunge, having never had a wax before.  And well, yeah, it hurt.  Alot.  And if you are the least bit shy or modest, you should know that it's quite the intimate experience. 

There is a HUGE thread on this somewhere.  And I mean huge.  Let me go find it.

ETA:  Here it is.  Chock full of advice.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_advice-brazilian-virgin
  • I get them regularly. You should definitely get it 2-3 months prior to the wedding, so you won't have your first Brazilian experience the week of the wedding. Then when you get the brazilian a couple of days before the wedding it won't be your first, and you would've tested it out.
    Birthday Anniversary
  • I did my first about 6 weeks ago and my second last week.  The third - and final - will be a few days before the wedding.  Both times, I took three Advil and had a glass of wine.... and honestly, it was ok.  It wasn't like the most fun thing I have ever done, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  The top part was definitely the worst... which surprised me.  But it's fast... you'll be fine and in a day or two, it is TOTALLY worth it.  :) 

Happily married since September 2010. :)
  • Honestly, the scariest thing about this for me just getting on the table and "letting it all hang out" so to speak.  It really isn't that bad pain-wise, but I can't lie, it's a little awkward.  I used to have a waxer who would work around my underwear, but then I moved.

Taking a couple of advil before helps, and if you're worried about modesty, ask if you can wear underwear, or if they have a disposable "spa thong" for you.  Also just remember to exfoliate afterward to avoid ingrowns.  Really, if you didn't mind getting your legs waxed, a brazillian will probably be easy-peasy.  
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • Thanks for asking this question! I have been wondering the same thing! And the link that Stephie posted was VERY helpful!

I'm getting that exfoliating & moisturizing is very important. So, does anyone have any good suggestions?
    Our baby! image Sadie
    Anniversary
  • Ahhh I got my first 2 weeks ago. I went in thinking it would be a peice of cake, as I have many tattoo's and didnt find them particularly painful... was I ever wrong! I literally screamed, and the poor goor was practically wrestling with me to keep my legs still! I may be extra sensitive down there because my friend got her done right next to me and didnt make a sound - she said it didnt hurt at all!!

I'm thinking I may have had a bad waxer though because not only did she leave a lot of hairs behind, but she also burnt me!!

I was told about something called "No Scream Cream", a numbing cream for waxing that works wonders, so I ordered it right away. As soon as it comes in I'm going in for round 2 and we will see how it goes.
  • I am ALL ABOUT the No Scream Cream.  Use it 45 minutes before.  It doesn't eliminate the pain, but it certainly helps. My salon sells it, so I keep well-stocked.  I also take Motrin 600mg and Tylenol 650mg before I go (about 1 hr before).  Still hate to go, but I love, love, love the results...as does FI!

As far a the embarassment part...we wind up chatting (in between my yelps) and you really do get used to it. 
  • It's not that bad to me, but I have a freakishly high pain tolerance. As for the no scream cream - all of my friends who use it LOVE it! I would highly recommend it based on the raving reviews I've heard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, I have had a brazillian done a ton of times and it all depends on where you go and who does it.  I would check out YELP for some suggestions.  Also, a Brazillian isn't exactly something that you should be cheap about.  If you go to a well known day spa to have it done make sure to ask for the best waxer in the house.  Generally, they are going to be honest about this stuff so that they can get your repeat business.  GOOD LUCK!
  • i get them regularly, it stings for a second but if you have an experienced waxer it wont be a big deal.  Just dont have a girl friend com over and you try and do it yourself. 
    "The perfect marriage begins when each partner believes they got better than they deserve."
  • I like getting waxed too.  Brazilians aren't the same though.  It doesn't feel as good as the face does.  However, I started it a few months ago and just can't stop!  I LOVE the effect.  Everything is smooth and clean.  I get my underarms done too and I freakin LOVEEEE it.  Soooo smooth.  But, PP was right - you have to start at least three months out.  It takes three tries for all the hair to be growing on the same stage.  You'll notice after the first few that there is stubble or some left, but its just too short to get it taken out.  After the third wax, you really shouldn't see any stubble immediately after.  And, it lasts for at least two weeks.  Also, DO NOT get it done within two days before the wedding unless you've noticed no redness at all.  At least the day before you get it done, use a sugar scrub to cleanse the area.  Then lightly use it the day of and the day after to keep it smooth.  The day you get it done make sure you wear cotton underwear and loose fitting clothes.  Since I've been getting it done its been summer but I usually wear a light sundress and nothing underneath.

Yes, its going to hurt, no its not as bad as everyone thinks.  You'll love it, go for it!  And, I also suggest armpits.  I'll never pick up a razor again for there!
  • So if it lasts 2 weeks, is that 2 weeks of being smooth or stubble starting. Just curious. I have never done it but I HATE shaving. How much does it usually run and how often does everyone get it done?
  • Depending on where you live, it should cost around $65. i have been getting them for about 5 years and my tolerance is up. But, I have to say, the pain is not all as bad. It really depends on your tolerance to pain. For me, getting a bikini wax is much worse than getting a Brazilian. My happy areas don't hurt as much as the bikini line. And some of my friends don't even feel pain anymore. I do recommend going a few times before your wedding just so u can get used to it. The area tends to be a little sensitive the first two times. Also, for those of you worried about ingrown hairs, Tend Skin works. i have been using it since the first time I got waxed, and it is a miracle. it is almost like a toner, but it definitely helps ALOT! 

Also remember Beauty is painful! But the results are awesome. 
  • Hahahahaha!!! I am Brazilian, and it sounds so funny to me that you call it like it is some "Brazilian thing!", it is probably because of the size of Brazilian bikini. I agree with most girls that it is painfull, but not impossible, the the results are really worth it. I will try getting the Advil for next time (I did not know this tip!) and I hope it helps!! Thank you all for the tips and good luck!
  • The only waxing I have gotten professionally done is a brazillian. Yes it's painful.....but I think the results are worth it. Definitely take a painkiller beforehand. I get mind irregularly, and have no issues, but if you went every 1 month, then it'd definitely be less painful. If you are modest, they can also use a towel to cover yourself up. Just be honest about it. I've gone enough times that I don't really care anymore.....they've seen so many er privates that yours isn't special, and they really don't care. In my areas a brazillian at a nice salon is about $40-$60. Definitely don't skimp out here. You may need to search around for a good place until you find someone that does it the cleanest and with the least amount of pain.
    I also use Bikinizone to prevent ingrowns afterwards, and I use this on my armpits when I shave. Your salon should apply some sort of oil or cream afterwards that soothes the area. Definitely don't get this done the day before your wedding as you aren't supposed to shower or do strenuous activity for 24hours afterwards.
  • Definitely do it!  But I would recommend sugaring instead of a traditional wax because it hurts less and leaves your skin a lot softer without all of those nasty red bumps...

Good luck!
  • It isn't so bad as long as you go to someone who is really good at it.  I had a bad experience a few years ago with a girl who seemed very nervous about touching me. It took her over a hour to finish and she did a horrible job.  Now I go to a girl who basically grew up giving waxes. Just relax and know that the person will be looking at you and touching you in places that some people may feel uncomfortable with. I don't think you'll get as good of results if you wear the paper underwear so if you are going to do it, just go for it. The first time will be the worst because you have so much hair. The pain definitely lessens the more you go. I also take 2 tylenol about an hour before I go. You will be red and a little sore afterwards, but that goes away in a few hours.  Good Luck, it definitely is worth it.
  • As far as stubble goes--I didn't have any stubble afer mine--thank goodness, because I would have been really mad.  There was no trace of hair to be found anywhere.  By the end of my 9 day honeymoon, stubble was starting to appear, yet had not broken the surface.  I was surprised--I thought it would last longer than it did.  I don't think I even got a full 2 weeks.
  • Go the week after your period.  Horomones cause the hair to grow back more slowly and it won't hurt as bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 8/9/11 EDD 4/11/12 M/C 8/20/11
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 6/18/13
    PgAL and PAL always welcome and appreciated!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Ehehehe dont worry Brazilian waxing is very good, the first time is worst but the second is not to bad anymore... anyway the sensation is wonderful for both... enjoy!!!
  • sugaring waxing is a lot more tolerable than regular hot wax. find a place that does sugaring and youll be ok.  it hurts a little bit but you get used to it.
  • it's not as bad as you think!  they recommend you get it done right after your period because your pain tolerance is at its highest then.  also, take 2 advil an hour before you go in.  otherwise, just do your research and check reviews online to make sure you get someone qualified and that you can feel comfortable with!  once you get it done, you will feel great!
  •  DO IT!!
    its painful, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do
    i got mine yesterday, its faster that if they do a deep bikini and just dont think about it and dont look
    i would say do another type of bikini to see how you feel but then you might chicken out and let me tell you, its totally worth it ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • I felt the same way before I got my first brazilian a few months ago, but to be completely honest, it was VERY manageable.  I do have one tip though,  I would avoid "normal waxing places" ie: where you go to get your eyebrows etc done and look for someplace that offers natural waxing.  I went to a brazilian woman that did it out of her home with a few of my girlfriends, and she used a concoction of hot honey a oils.  I asked her why and she said using natural ingredients decreases the chance of infection, which makes sense.  

Good luck!!  (and don't pay more than 60 bucks for one!!!) mine was only 30, but I realize that was uncommon :)
  • I have been getting them for about 6 years.  I agree wthi others who say you don't want to do it just days before your wedding because there can sometimes be painful swelling after.  But I would suggest about a week before your wedding as a good time.

Also, the best time in your cycle to get a brazilian is right after your period.  TIMING REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LEVEL OF PAIN.  Closer to your period your hormones change and you can experience skin being waxed off in addition to the hair.  If that happens, all you need is a little aloe vera and you'll be back to normal in no time! :)

Good luck, but don't be scared.  Just remind yourself that lots of people (me included) do it so it can't be THAT bad. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is definitely worth it. Just make sure you find a place that DOES NOT double dip the stick.  Also, my advise would be to get Lidocain and spread the cream over the area you are going to get the brazilian. It does not completely numb the area but it definitely helps with the pain a little bit more than not using anything. The part that hurts the worst is the "hood", meaning the traingle area just below your stomach. All other areas are not as painful. Plus, once you start to get it done on a more frequent basis, the less painfull it seems to be. I would go a few times before your wedding to try it out.

• Just got mine done yesterday.  Yes it hurts but it is totally worth it.  Just do your research and make sure and find someone professional and that has been doing it for a while!
  • I'm an esthetician and my specialty is waxing at the spa that I work for. I do brazilian waxes all the time as well as get them. I know it would be silly to say dont be nervous at all because you'll be nervous no matter what. But, the previous posters are right, definitely get your first one done a few months before your wedding and try and get a second one in bewteen the first and your wedding prep brazilian. Your best best is to not shave from the time you begin getting the first one, to the time of your wedding, leave everything to the waxer.
    The longer your hair is, the more painful it can be. Your hair only needs to be about a quarter of an inch to a half an inch long. If you come in with a full grown "area" your waxer may chose to trim, which I find some women get very uncomfortable with, being that sharp objects are very close to their private areas. So if you want to be the most comfortable I would tell you to shave a week or two before your appointment, depending on how fast your hair grows. Make sure you have the recommended amount of growth that I mentioned above. When hair hasn't been "tended to" for many months in that area it tends to grow very curly and wraps around other hairs. So you can imagine that is a little tougher to wax without trimming first.
    Your waxer will seem completely oblivious to the fact that she's touching your most intimate areas so try not to stress too much. She's seen it before and is ok with it. I have full blown conversations with my clients and always leave them covered with a towel so they don't feel so weird.
    After your first time you won't think so much about modesty. Private message me if you have any other questions. You'll do fine and you will be pleased with the results!
  • Hi, I am actually Brazilian and I have to say that the first time you wax it hurts. Its not as bad as you expect but still bad. However, from then on it gets a lot better and every time is less pain!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards