Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Have you used Proactiv?

Has anyone tried Proactiv? Did it work for you? I have a problem with breaking out on my back and a little on my face. I wanted to try Proactiv but I'm unsure if it will really work... If not Proactiv what have you used? TIA
Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 217 Invited...
image 166 Got their boots on!
image 49 Missin' out.
image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
RSVP Date: September 1

Re: Have you used Proactiv?

• I have had multiple derms tell me to stay away. It is habit-forming, so you take it and your skin looks better, but if you stop your skin gets even worse. That's how it's one of the best-selling products on the market.
    I would HIGHLY reccommend seeing a dermatologist for acne. I am on an oral antibiotic and a prescription cream and my face looks great. You would never know I used to have bad acne.
  • It made my skin worse.
  • no...i am wearing dark...makeup....what has work is witch hazel, steaming...fade cream...also cvs...i will be running not walking has an affordable acne treatment as part as their minute clinic.....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_have-you-used-proactiv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3d220f97-0d4b-43a7-b24d-58594917728dPost:af6a185a-32ec-4041-9542-e1615321f7b3">Re: Have you used Proactiv?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have had multiple derms tell me to stay away.<strong> It is habit-forming, so you take it and your skin looks better, but if you stop your skin gets even worse.</strong> That's how it's one of the best-selling products on the market. I would HIGHLY reccommend seeing a dermatologist for acne. I am on an oral antibiotic and a prescription cream and my face looks great. You would never know I used to have bad acne.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    Very true. Although everyone has different results, the majority of people will say that their skin gets better when they're using it, but goes right back as soon as they stop. I tried it for a while & found it way too drying. 
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I don't use it on a daily basis but I use the mask when I get breakouts--I actually had a number of chin zits popping up on Sunday/Monday and they are actually almost cleared up by now (I used the mask twice this week) click
    EDIT: big bad zits, not just little tiny ones (the kind that sometimes last a week or two)

I love love love the LaRoche Posay Effaclar daily face wash--I used it morning and night.  Check your local CVS to see if they carry it--I was able to get them when it was buy 2 get one free, which works out to a about $15 click  

I don't have horrible skin, but I do have hormonal breakouts and this combo has worked pretty good for me (spot treat with the mask and 2x daily with the Effaclar).
  • I wouldn't recommend ProActiv, especially for just short term use! Second what PPs said about drying and being habit-forming. Also, maybe this was just me, but it bleached ALL of my towels/sheets/pillowcases. I guess a lot of acne medications have the same active ingredient in them, but I have only ever had a problem with it in Proactiv. I felt like I had to just stand in the bathroom and wait for it to all soak in, and even then I'd wake up the next day with a weird bleach spot on my pillowcase!! Ugh!

I also didn't think it smelled particularly nice. 

My mom got me a Clarisonic Mia for Christmas and I LOVE it. I just use that with the Clarisonic gel... and Clinique toner/moisturizer. The Mia is definitely pricier than something I'd buy myself, but I think it's worth it. I have had acne my entire life until recently. Also a lot of companies make similar brushes now-- my FSIL has Olay's spin brush and likes it.

I found the most success from just implementing a routine of cleanse, tone, and moisturize, and putting on sunscreen every day. I really like Neutrogena's different acne body scrubs. Also my aesthetician always tells me to STOP using loofahs/sponges and go back to regular wash clothes because it's more sanitary to wash them each time. 

if it's bad enough to bother you, though, you should definitely see a dermatologist. I hope you find something that works for you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• I tried it and had terrible results. My skin is pretty sensitive and it totally dried my skin out. I had a red, dry splotchy face and it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal after stopping the proactive. Of course, everyone's skin is different, but based on my experience I would never recommend it. I now use Cetaphil products and I love them!

• I would recommend seeing a derm about it. Last summer I had started having chin breakouts after switching BCP a month or so before the wedding. I opted to not do pills, as they can make your BCP not as effective but there are some prescription pills out there that derms can recommend that help. My derm gave me a regimen of topical creams to use that ended up clearing them up pretty nicely. Either way, I would go see a dermatologist and he/she can decide what's best for your situation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • AthseaAthsea member
    First Comment
    I have used it since I was 14 (I'm 23) and I love it. I tried everything before ProActiv, and nothing even made a dent. ProActiv worked for me. I've tried other things since, and honestly, it's the only thing that works. I'm on BC and other meds for my PCOS now, so maybe I don't need it anymore, but I'm afraid to give it up since it's been a habit for so long. I do only use it once a day, because twice a day dries my skin out. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_have-you-used-proactiv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3d220f97-0d4b-43a7-b24d-58594917728dPost:3db894ba-8481-4fb6-9248-e1a0726d5a0f">Re: Have you used Proactiv?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't recommend ProActiv, especially for just short term use! Second what PPs said about drying and being habit-forming. Also, maybe this was just me, but <strong>it bleached ALL of my towels/sheets/pillowcases</strong>. I guess a lot of acne medications have the same active ingredient in them, but I have only ever had a problem with it in Proactiv. I felt like I had to just stand in the bathroom and wait for it to all soak in, and even then I'd wake up the next day with a weird bleach spot on my pillowcase!! Ugh! I also didn't think it smelled particularly nice.  My mom got me a<strong> Clarisonic Mia for Christmas and I LOVE it.</strong> I just use that with the Clarisonic gel... and Clinique toner/moisturizer. The Mia is definitely pricier than something I'd buy myself, but I think it's worth it. I have had acne my entire life until recently. Also a lot of companies make similar brushes now-- my FSIL has Olay's spin brush and likes it. I found the most success from just implementing a routine of cleanse, tone, and moisturize, and putting on sunscreen every day. I really like Neutrogena's different acne body scrubs. Also my aesthetician always tells me to STOP using loofahs/sponges and go back to regular wash clothes because it's more sanitary to wash them each time.  if it's bad enough to bother you, though, you should definitely see a dermatologist. I hope you find something that works for you!
    Posted by sarahdactyI[/QUOTE]

I have had quite a few presctiption face medicines in the past that have bleached my sheets. I'm not sure what chemical it is, but that is definitely a risk of any product you put on your face. I just have white sheets now!

And also I have a Mia and I agree with everything. It improved my overall complexion, made my pores smaller, and decreased the amount of breakouts I have by half.

If you do a search on these bords, you will not find one single bad review on the Mia.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_have-you-used-proactiv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3d220f97-0d4b-43a7-b24d-58594917728dPost:ab1e213a-b874-49ae-9b84-195bbad16e12">Re: Have you used Proactiv?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you used Proactiv? : I have had quite a few presctiption face medicines in the past that have bleached my sheets. I'm not sure what chemical it is, but that is definitely a risk of any product you put on your face. I just have white sheets now! And also I have a Mia and I agree with everything. It improved my overall complexion, made my pores smaller, and decreased the amount of breakouts I have by half. If you do a search on these bords, you will not find one single bad review on the Mia.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    The benzoyl peroxide is what bleaches your towels. That's usually the ingredient in the treatment gels, but some of the acne cleansers have it too. 
  • I've used Proactiv for 9 years now, and it works great for me.  But you really won't know if it works well for you until you try it.  I guess I don't really understand the argument "well, I stopped using it and my acne came back!"  That sounds the same to me as "well, I stopped exercising and eating well and I gained all my weight back!".  I've tried other things, but I keep going back because nothing works as well.

My skin tends to be more on the oily side.  I also have eczema, so the exfoliant in the scrub really helps for me to not have peely skin all over the place.  I'd say my zit problems are probably mild compared to some people, but without it I'd probably have 3-4 zits at any given time and never have any "clear" days.  I use Cetaphil facial cleanser in the morning in the shower and then Proactiv at night.

It seems strange to me because I actually get a lot of compliments on my skin despite never wearing any face makeup at all...I usually just say "thank you" but I'm secretly thinking "you have NO idea how bad my skin really is!!"

Anyways, like PP said it is the benzyl peroxide in it that can bleach stuff, so be careful with that.  I never put my wash cloths I used to wash my face in with sheets, clothes, etc. because the bleaching can occur on that stuff, too.

Seeing a dermatologist wouldn't be a bad idea, although I wouldn't take a systemic drug over a topical treatment unless I absolutely had to because nothing else worked.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_have-you-used-proactiv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3d220f97-0d4b-43a7-b24d-58594917728dPost:a65dd50a-cb28-4e31-a7eb-4dd5e5018069">Re: Have you used Proactiv?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I guess I don't really understand the argument "well, I stopped using it and my acne came back!"  That sounds the same to me as "well, I stopped exercising and eating well and I gained all my weight back!".

Posted by AurorasEnvy[/QUOTE]

From what my derms have told me, it gets even worse than it was before, and any other acne treatment won't work as well because it is 'habit forming'. If it worked for you, though, that's awesome because I know the battle against acne suuuuuuuuucks.
  • I've used proactiv before and it always starts out fine, but within 6 months the acne starts coming through again. I've currently been using the clarisonic Mia for four months and haven't seen any difference. Still have acne and large pores. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist to see what they think is best for you.

Anniversary
  • I second Clarasonic Mia....I used proactiv for years but did nothing until I got the Mia and it has done wonders!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i HATED it!!!  I used it for a few days but it made my face swell, get red and burn.  i actualy couldn't wash my face for a few days becuase it was so painful to touch.  clearly, i have super sensiitive skin!

i really wouldn't be trying new skin products with your wedding a couple months away...often times skin gets worse before it gets better. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards