Wedding Party

Dog as a Flower Girl?

Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Holy shiit. Defensive much? No need to go off the deep end here. I was with you up until you started screaming at everyone like a baby because your ideas aren't being validated. Are you stomping your foot and holding your breath, too?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:f9ccf0fa-1080-4584-96d6-22e1846f96ba">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Again, I never said that my dog would be off leash the day of our ceremony.  
    Posted by SmithMcFarlane[/QUOTE]

Here's why everyone keeps mentioning a leash. Your only comment about a leash was that your dog almost never has one:

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:6bc3c192-0da4-4b2f-bb42-8ccf5993a6a0">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As for her getting loose, again, she is almost never on leash as she listens to voice command. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:6bc3c192-0da4-4b2f-bb42-8ccf5993a6a0">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm offended at how many of you seem to think that I have a bad dog or I'm a bad pet owner.  I NEVER leave my dog alone outside, I'm always right there with her. 

Nobody ever said you have a bad dog or that you are a bad pet owner. Please point out the exact quote if someone did. Rather, people are just pointing out what COULD happen.

Even if your state/city does not require dogs to be on a leash, I can't imagine why you WOULDN'T want to have your dog on a leash outside. I don't give a shiit how well-trained my dog is or how well she listens ... when she's outside with me, she's on a leash. I'm not going to risk having her run away or get hit by a car just so I can show off how well she listens to my commands.

And, for what it's worth, the dog I ran over was outside <u>with its owners</u>. So now I have a lifetime of guilt, a family lost its pet and an innocent dog is dead because someone decided that the dog didn't need a leash, for whatever reason.
  • There are areas where I live that your dog can be off leash, and my property is one of them, as are many parks that we go to often.  Everywhere else, except for the dog fairs ect, she is on leash, but we usually don't go to leash areas, just off-leash areas.

Anniversary
  • i love the idea!! My golden retriever is in our wedding! i think it very cute and it puts your personal touch on YOUR wedding! it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks! I have had the same things said about our dog being in the wedding but i dont care what others think but i know he will look so cute wearing his bow tie walking down the aisle!!! There are just things you have to watch out for! Is she a hyper dog? will she be okay around a bunch of ppl? and dont feed her before the wedding for obvious reasons! and have one person take care of the dog and make sure they get home or just taken care of after the ceremony! Its not that hard of thing to get done! You will have beautiful pictures to remember forever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Regardless of what your county, park, or property allows, it's weird to have a dog in your wedding.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Look up leash laws where you live.  I bet your county or city does require your animal to be on a leash.

See that part about the false accusation?  That actually happened to a guy my Dh works with about 2 weeks ago.  They were at a park and were letting their dog run off his leash (everyone does).  A child that is a known liar got a scrap and claimed that their dog bit him.  Other witnesses say that the dog was off his leash, which is true.  So no matter how well your dog listens to voice command, you cannot prove that your dog was under your control if he wasn't on a leash.

They are now in a major legal battle with the city/county because they were given 3 days to put their dog down due to the accusation.  Why be proud that you put your dog at that risk everyday?
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:04e55dbb-3878-4f1c-ac70-91f836069882">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are areas where I live that your dog can be off leash, and my property is one of them, as are many parks that we go to often.  Everywhere else, except for the dog fairs ect, she is on leash, but we usually don't go to leash areas, just off-leash areas.

<div>Thank you for clearing this up.  From your previous statement, it sounded like you always let your dog off leash.</div>
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Thank you Bridestone!  I'm glad that someone actually likes my idea.  Did you have people put you down about this?  What did you say to people who didn't like the idea?

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:2d1e0575-d530-4dd8-b272-35a25e24a954">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Once you have a child, your dog is just a dog.  I'm not saying to love and cherish your dog.  Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

People hate me for not liking kids but here goes. I don't think kids are any different than dogs. You have to take care of them and train them just the same. With kids you just have more expense and stress. Kids are defiantly not for me so this is just my opinion. Let's pray I don't have kids but i'm sorry, if my dog needed to go out and my kids needed to eat the dog would go out first; he was my child first.
    Anniversary
  • wow so i was reading all this posts on this subject! i didnt think it was that big of deal! its not a bad idea if its thought through and obviously you have thought it through if your considering your pet being in your wedding! so with that being said its YOUR wedding and as fellow brides we should support your idea of a perfect day! and give you our opinions repectfully! follow the old rule if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it at all!  maybe thats just my deep southern hopitality but it seems like all these other fellow brides are being kind of rude... We as women sometimes have an idea in our minds that we are going to do regardless of what others think we just sometimes want other opinions anyways! Here in the south animals are a big part of the family! i have two golden retrievers(who are never on leashes and ride in the back of my fi truck and even on the tool box) and a boykin spaniel(who is used for hunting and is never ever on a leash) this does not make me a bad dog owner! my dogs are spoiled rotten and go to the vet when they are supposed to and get scraps from dinner on a regular. I have had a dog get run over just four mths ago and it sucked but guess what accidents happen... you just pray your animal is smart enough to not do wrong just like ppl with kids hope and pray that kids dont do wrong and get themselves hurt. you do your best to keep them safe!

WIth all this being said i think you have thought your decision through of having your child(dog) in your wedding and its a great idea! and having her as a fg is perfect! its very cute and they have tons of stuff out there you can put on her to make it all that more special! Im not close to my dad and if i could i would have my dog walk me down the aisle!! i am excited for you to have your dog in your wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:3298a22b-b8f9-4556-9507-9bf64b175e9a">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Bridestone!  I'm glad that someone actually likes my idea.  Did you have people put you down about this?  What did you say to people who didn't like the idea?

Hey now...I said go for it :(  Seriously though. The dog sounds like it is well behaved. This is one of those things like giving donations as favors. Tons of people are going to hate the idea and tons are going to love it. I'm an <em>extreme</em>  (yes, i know I am crazy) animal lover. This is something you sound like you would love to do. Don't let a few people make you think you are crazy for doing it. In the long run you may look back and regreat not having him/her there. Don't let a few people talk you out of it. However, the fg title might be a little strange. Someone said this is "overdone."  It isn't about being overdone it is about your bond with your pet. End of story
    Anniversary
  • Thanks Bridestone!  I feel the same as you in many ways!
    Anniversary
  • Yes, you did, thank you as well suz!  I have always done everything in my power to keep my dog safe, and if I didn't trust her I wouldn't be thinking of this at all.
    Anniversary
  • Yea a lot of ppl put the idea down bc my dogs are huge! and my dogs are obcessed with water and im getting married in front of a pond! but im willing to take the chance of my dog running through everyone and jumping full force into the pond! lol i think it would be so funny!!!! and i know everyone would laugh as well! it it makes me happy just knowing that my dog will be apart of the most special day of my life! i would have all three there but the other two are little too hyper to be there and with one of them weighing over 100 pounds it would be a little hard to keep him calmed down! he loves ppl and would just go crazy licking everyone!  ppl can so up tight and rude and you just have to brush it off and move on! as for leash laws i dont live in the city and there is def no leash laws and no laws against guns being shot in the front yard! if i lived in the city i would keep them on a leash bc ppl are just plain rude and dont care and run over a dog in a heart beat!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Smith - Its hard not to hear some of those questions and think they are attacking you as a dog owner. I think it was more of making sure you think everything through for the big day. I would take a pretty leash with you JIC. I know mine would have to be on leash but you know your dog better than anyone. Don't sweat it.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks! she will be on leash, we have one that goes with our colors already.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:efc84648-5a58-4b5a-afb7-0459fbc140f5">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog as a Flower Girl? : People hate me for not liking kids but here goes. I don't think kids are any different than dogs. You have to take care of them and train them just the same. With kids you just have more expense and stress. Kids are defiantly not for me so this is just my opinion. Let's pray I don't have kids but i'm sorry, if my dog needed to go out and my kids needed to eat the dog would go out first; he was my child first.
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]

This.  Generally dogs are more well behaved than children, and they're almost always cuter.  Since the purpse of the flower girl is to look cute, a dog makes just a much sense.  As long as you don't dress your dog up, because THAT is weird.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I refuse to believe that anyone is stupid enough to leave dogs in the back of a pickup, or say "Oh well, accidents happen" if a dog gets run over, so I'm leaving this trainwreck MUD right now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:3dbfa5a5-77af-4724-91a6-57974fefc6ea">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow so i was reading all this posts on this subject! i didnt think it was that big of deal! its not a bad idea if its thought through and obviously you have thought it through if your considering your pet being in your wedding! so with that being said its YOUR wedding and as fellow brides we should support your idea of a perfect day! and give you our opinions repectfully! follow the old rule if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it at all!  maybe thats just my deep southern hopitality but it seems like all these other fellow brides are being kind of rude... We as women sometimes have an idea in our minds that we are going to do regardless of what others think we just sometimes want other opinions anyways! Here in the south animals are a big part of the family! i have two golden retrievers(who are never on leashes and ride in the back of my fi truck and even on the tool box) and a boykin spaniel(who is used for hunting and is never ever on a leash) this does not make me a bad dog owner! my dogs are spoiled rotten and go to the vet when they are supposed to and get scraps from dinner on a regular. I have had a dog get run over just four mths ago and it sucked but guess what accidents happen... you just pray your animal is smart enough to not do wrong just like ppl with kids hope and pray that kids dont do wrong and get themselves hurt. you do your best to keep them safe! WIth all this being said i think you have thought your decision through of having your child(dog) in your wedding and its a great idea! and having her as a fg is perfect! its very cute and they have tons of stuff out there you can put on her to make it all that more special! Im not close to my dad and if i could i would have my dog walk me down the aisle!! i am excited for you to have your dog in your wedding!
    Posted by bridestone[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If your pets are so special to you and are part of your family, why do you put them in danger by having them ride in the back of a pickup?  Why does your dog have to be the one that is smart enough to not get hurt?  Why aren't you taking responsibility?

</div>
    bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:6a165aa3-33c8-4462-8169-886337915bbc">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I refuse to believe that anyone is stupid enough to leave dogs in the back of a pickup, or say "Oh well, accidents happen" if a dog gets run over, Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

I hate, hate, hate seeing people leaving dogs in their cars or in the back of their truck. Even in the winter cars get hot. You wouldn't leave a child in the car so why leave your pet?
    Anniversary
  • Sorry Bridestone but unless you would ride on your FI's tool box while he was driving down the road going 50mph, without being able to use your opposable thumbs(just like your golden's) than you are a bad pet owner for that. You may treat them very well and they may be happy but this is irresponsible. There was a story here awhile back about a pet sliding off the tool box in a pickup because the owner had to stop fast to avoid a wreck. He fell out and was hit by his owner. Think of your pet's life.
    Anniversary
  • smith and bridestone- none of us care if you have your dog in the wedding, we were just making sure you had thought everything through.  Bridestone- it may be cute if your dog runs into the pond, but what about when he runs out?  What if he gets pond water all over your wedding gown or all over your guests?  What is your backup plan?

I agree with suz- letting your dog ride in the truck and the other examples you listed make you an irresponsible pet owner.  It makes me wonder if your accident could have been prevented if your dog had proper supervision.
    bio
  • Christ, I don't have the energy for this today.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Me neither, Aerin. 
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • haha wow so its turned to me getting attacked! All these posts make me so happy that that i live where i live! my one golden is 5 years old and the other is 2 years old and since they were big enough to go places with us they have rode in the back of my FI truck. They ride dirt roads with us, they go to dinner in town with us(and sit on the tool box while we are in a resturant), while the truck is in motion my dogs are smart enough to get down and ride in the back and enjoy the wind in their ears. And to call someone stupid for the things they do make you ignorant... I would never imagine critcizing someone for the way they raise their kids until i have tried it myself.  I live in a farm town where dogs ride in the back of the trucks and ride tractors with their owners and they are safe as safe gets. you dont hand a loaded gun to a person that has never held or shot one, same concept you dont put a dog that hasnt been taught the safe way to do things in the back of a truck and hope for the best... I love my backwood ways and the simple life where my dogs can enjoy being in a wedding and feeling the air in their ears and the water between their paws!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A wedding isnt supposed to be so uptight! the $40,000 i have spent to put this outdoor wedding together is going to be the way I want it! i dont care what happens and if my dog wants to get wet so be it! if he wants to shake all over my 6,000 dollar gown then so be it! at least i had fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    Oh goodness - I grew up on a farm. I know what it is like to have your dogs on your tractor with you. Dirt roads are more bumpy, slick and dangerous than paved road most of the time. That's great if they are used to it and you aren't driving like a bat out of he!! around town but one mistake, one time could end their life! My current dogs still swim, ride in the car, feel the wind in their ears, etc. I wouldn't leave myself in the back of a pickup truck or in a hot car for an hour so I sure as he!! wouldn't do it to my boys.

Also, not once did I call you stupid; however, you assuming that you were the only one to have "backwoods ways" so you were "special" makes you ignorant. I agree though that if your dog wants to play in water and trash your dress you should go with the flow. I'm just against the dog in pickup thing.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:a1d6ab12-7c54-4178-863e-220cfd5767d2">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A wedding isnt supposed to be so uptight! the $40,000 i have spent to put this outdoor wedding together is going to be the way I want it! i dont care what happens and if my dog wants to get wet so be it! if he wants to shake all over my 6,000 dollar gown then so be it! at least i had fun!
    Posted by bridestone[/QUOTE]

*eye roll* AW-ing your wedding cost/budget to somehow justify the irresponsible way in which you regard your pets is an ineffective argument.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i never assumed i was the only backwoods ways person... i was just making statement of how proud i am for the way i raise my dogs and how proud of am of my ways
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    Bridestone- Just noticed you changed your profile pic to your dogs. They're pretty cute!
    Anniversary
  • ooo i sense some jealousy... thats not justifying my my arguement its justifying why i dont care that my dogs jumps in a pond and runs arounds wet... this is a total waste of energy and i the whole reason i started posting was sticking up for the poor girl just abt everyone attacked for her not having a leash on her dog and her dog being in her wedding and somehow i am being critcized for every little thing i say.. so for all your bridezillas you need to calm down and concentrate on your own wedding and stop being so uptight and like i said if you dont have nothing nice to say then dont say it all!!!! god bless
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards