January 2012 Weddings

Need to vent and need advice

I really need to vent about my career situation. In 2010, I was laid off of my teaching job where I taught for three years. We had a budget reduction and my district had to let 110 positions/people go. Only 6 of them were actual teachers, the rest were cafeteria workers, grounds keepers, etc. The first two years I was there I had great teaching observations and no problems. My third year I had an issue that went into my file (a student harassed me, jumping on me, but my principal turned it around and blamed me after the parent complained.) Also, my last observation wasn't good. Anyhow, I was let go due to the budget and not due to performance. 

Now, here we are almost 2 years later, and there are 6 openings in this district for writing coaches. I am very qualified for this not only because I have three years experiece teaching writing but because I have my master's in education and literacy. 

I applied for these positions but I haven't heard back from them yet. I emailed the superintendent but got an auto-response saying that he is out of the office until April 26. I also emailed the human resource manager but haven't heard anything. 

I feel like I have every right to be hired because of the way I was let go. What do you guys think?! Should I go into the district office on Monday? If so, what shoud I say or do? I am so upset over this. I really hope you guys can help me.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need to vent and need advice

• Maybe call? or send another email asking if they need any other materials to be considered to be hired.

I understand your frustration on the job thing.
  • I am going to agree with Jen on this one.
  • Who calls in the applicants and schedules the interviews? The district or the school? If the district office is in charge of the hiring I would go to the district office with my resume packet in hand and express in person my interest for the position. Same for the school if they are in charge of setting up interviews. In my experience dropping of resumes in person they will ask you if you applied online first. You can ask to speak directly to whoever is hiring for the position, but most likely you'll have to drop off your resume with a secretary.

Is your heart set on this district? It may just be time to expand your search to other districts if you keep running into a wall. I'm applying to a district 3 districts away because the 2 closest to me are only opening their positions to internal transfers. The good thing for us is that the third district is dear H's hometown and is where we want to buy a house and start our family one day.

As far as what happned between you and the student I wouldn't worry too much. In my first and second teaching positions I was figthing with severe depression. I was able to make it through the whole school year (Nov to June since they created my class 3 months after school started) at my first school and have my contract renewed somehow. The second position I was even worse in my depression and ended up quiting halfway through the school day without notice after 2 months. I'm worried about how my reference will be for that school even though my principal told me she would hire me again when I was ready to come back. When I tell you not to worry it's liking telling myself not to worry. I know it's easier said then done.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • My heart is not set on this district at all but they were the ones that let me go so in a way I feel like they should be rehiring me. It's the district office that does the interviewing and hiring.

I'm thinking I'm going to call the superintendent at the end of next week if I don't hear a response from the emails I sent.

Oh and I've sent them everything that they could possibly need. Cover letter, resume, 3 letters of recommendations, and copy of certificate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tara-
    There are some jobs here in CO if you are willing to move... hehe

Also, I applied for a job in Newark, NJ.  ;)  NJ has a couple jobs for me.  We could hang out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_need-to-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:a6c2e184-b936-4db8-aede-aeb87ac7e18ePost:ce100219-7efd-4e5f-a071-f373762df18c">Re: Need to vent and need advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tara- There are some jobs here in CO if you are willing to move... hehe Also, I applied for a job in Newark, NJ.  ;)  NJ has a couple jobs for me.  We could hang out!
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't be far away from me either. I am actaually closer to Newark than to Tara.
  • REALLY! Oh I could have friends again!!!

People in NJ friendly?  Peeps in CO aren't very friendly. I heard its case there are so many people in the state and there is always more everyday.  IDK if that is true.

Guess I better get applying to NJ!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards