Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hot Chocolate Bar?

Wedding is Feb 6.  Would you think a hot chocolate bar with a bunch of goodies is lame or fun?  I'm leaning towards fun.My mom wants to get mugs for the hot chocolate bar - undecided what would be on the mugs - as favors.  Not sure I'm a fan of this part of the plan...Thoughts?

Re: Hot Chocolate Bar?

• I would love it.  I went to a Christmas function that had a hot chocolate bar and it was awesome.
  • Fun.  Bonus points if the bar includes rumplemintz and Bailey's.I would just rent mugs, or use the venue's.  Although I do use really random coffee mugs from events, so I wouldn't mind it as much as most non-edible favors.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I would be totally okay with this. Can you spike hot chocoalte?  Cause if you can, that'd be pretty sweet too. (Along the lines of Irish coffee)
  • That is an awesome idea.  Although I might be a little biased since I LOVE hot chocolate.
  • Mmmmm I LOVE hot chocolate. Definitely include Bailey's etc.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Alexia, my family gets drunk on Christmas morning drinking spiked hot cocoa while opening presents.  It is excellent.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh, there would totally be booze available to add. 
  • Im confused. So the hot chocolate bar is a bar where you get hot chocolate and can "customize" it? And the mugs your guests will be drinking it out of will be their favour to take home? So, essentially, they will have to take a dirty mug home with them?
  • I would be so stupidly excited about this.  I'd probably skip the ceremony and the reception, and just show up for the hot chocolate bar. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Hot chocolate bar? Fun. Mugs as favors? Not a fan, since I wouldn't want to take home a dirty mug.Mmmmmm, hot chocolate with Bailey's, or kirsch, or peppermint schnapps, or Grand Marnier, or...I can't wait for winter, such as it is here.
  • I absolutely love the idea of a hot chocolate bar, I think that is awesome. I think I would skip mugs as favors though. I would just have the caterer/venue provide them. As a guest, I would appreciate the gift, but be unsure of what to do with my used hot chocolate mug and would probably not take it if I was from out of town/worried about it making a mess. Maybe a compromise is to provide hot chocolate packets as favors with a sticker on them or something, that way you can remind guests of something unique from your wedding with a favor, that is lightweight, portable and doesn't need to be washed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds awesome, although if they were all milk-based hot chocolates, I wouldn't be able to partake. Mugs as favors sounds cool, but if your venue/caterer can provide mugs to rent at a lower cost I'd probably go that route.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Also peppermint schnapps.  Yummm.  I drink it every year the first time it snows.  OOh and those spoons covered in flavored chocolate to stir it.  And peppermint sticks.  And marshmallows.  I'm loving this idea. I'm indifferent about the mugs. I'd probably take it home if I remembered after all of the spiked hot chocolate, but I wouldn't be upset if they were just rented either.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Brie - That's frikkin sweet. Oh and I don't mind taking home a dirty mug.  Or, crazy idea here, you can leave it if you don't want it.
  • Yes please. What a fun idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Another vote in favor of the hot chocolate bar. Props for originality since I've never heard of this or seen it done before.Nix the mugs as favors though.
  • You could always use venue mugs for the bar, and then have a bunch of wrapped souvenir mugs on the way out.I am terribly anti-non-edible favor, but mugs are the one thing I kind of like having a motley crew of in my cabinet.  I'd use it.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't think about the dirty mug thing - hmm - I guess they could rinse it.  
  • Excellent idea.  We were going to do one for our December wedding but decided against it for logistic reasons.  We'll just be doing Hot Chocolate favours instead. Do it and include all the above suggestions expecially the Pepperminst Schnapps.  White chocolate chips are good, too.
  • I love hot chocolate, and wanted to do a bar at my January wedding...then realized that since it's in TN it may be too warm for it.I think mugs would make cool favors, but not if they're to be used for the cocoa and taken home dirty. As a favor you could always pack a mug with a packet of cocoa and some marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate spoons, etc. and let them take the party home with them.
  • Sh*t, now I want to reschedule my wedding so I can have a hot chocolate bar.  Damnit.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I like brie's idea of take home mugs that arent used for the hot chocolate bar. If the favour is a mug, most guests will just leave them rather than rinse them and take them home with them, I can almost guarentee that. Im not doing my own dishes at someones wedding.
  • opalsky007 - that is a great idea!  Thanks!
  • I love the idea of a hot chocolate bar.  Now I want a winter wedding so that I can have this.  Not so much of a fan of the mugs for favors. 
  • I am now wishing that a hot chocolate bar wouldn't be so weird for a beach wedding.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Love the idea. We had a coffee bar out with our desserts (which were served) with a variety of liquors that went well with coffee; I'm envisioning the same thing for a hot chocolate bar. I wouldn't do the mugs that people are going to be drinking out of as favors. I'm not generally a fan of favors, but if you feel you must do one, I'd do the mugs wrapped up with some hot chocolate mix inside (and maybe a couple of hershey's kisses or something like that) for people to pick up on their way out. It ties in and would be cute, and yeah, I actually would hold onto a mug.
  • I'm glad this is going over so well!  Hopefully no children grab their mug and come to dance with the one in the big white dress!
  • Ok, so I just said the same thing as opalsky except her idea has more elements that tie together!
  • hot chocolate bar sounds fun.   i wouldn't take a mug home with me whether it was dirty or not. 
  • Tencups - did you have kids there?  How did you regulate the alcohol?  I'm thinking we should just have a bartender stationed near the hot chocolate and distributing the alcohol.  I could see my cousins thinking Bailey's is YUMMY and trying it.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards