Wedding Reception Forum

Food stations/having different caterers

I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find any advice/tips/suggestions on having different caterers at a reception.
My idea:
Stations (don't want a formal sit-down dinner)
3 different caterers from our favorite restaurants (Indian, Mexican, BBQ). They'd each have a main or two, and some sides/apps

How many people to order for at each?

Could ask on invitation, but didn't want to limit people to their selection..

Re: Food stations/having different caterers

• It will be expensive. Each caterer will likely charge you their full event price. Most people simply can't afford three (or even two) full price caterers. :-) That's why your plan is uncommon.

You'll have to have enough food at each station for 100% of the guests. Most everyone will try some of each type of food. It would make the caterers look bad if they run out of food...especially if you lowball your guest list to get a better price!
  • I considered something like this and it just wasn't going to be economical - or easy to coordinate.  I think if you have a big budget you could make it work but it would definitely be costly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    I'd consider changing your screen handle to one that doesn't identify you specifically.  It's pretty risky to use your full real name.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to get any of the restaurants in question to agree to serve only a small number of dishes at your reception.  In my experience, restaurants and caterers require you to sign contracts giving them exclusive food service jurisdiction at your event for the whole event because it's not profitable for them to prepare and serve only a few items-nor will they be willing to work with competing food vendors. 

There's also the issue of protecting consumers of their food from cross-contamination, which is harder when there are more food vendors, and venues may not let you have more than one caterer either.
  • I would suggest rethinking this.  I know someone who had two caterers and it was a disaster.  The kitchen was apparently a mess and nobody could figure out who could use what spaces in it... most of the food ended up coming up super late and cold. 
  • I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find any advice/tips/suggestions on having different caterers at a reception. My idea: Stations (don't want a formal sit-down dinner) 3 different caterers from our favorite restaurants (Indian, Mexican, BBQ). They'd each have a main or two, and some sides/apps How many people to order for at each? Could ask on invitation, but didn't want to limit people to their selection..
    You'd have to order enough for everyone for each station.  That's the beauty of stations....people can sample everything!  It will undoubtedly cost quite a bit of money.  I'd stick to one caterer....you'll most likely get better service and pricing.  Good luck!
  • thank you for all the responses! I had my name changed, didn't even realize that was the username! the venue we are most likely using doesn't have on-site catering facilities, so the kitchen issue wouldn't be a problem. Will have to check with each caterer on their policies. 
  • I think this depends on your budget, contracts, and the kitchen facilities. If you were doing several food trucks, for example, that would be much more practical and avoid the safety issues raised. But I really do think it's better to choose one (very good) vendor--you can always suggest dishes if you want to recreate that "world cuisine" type feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards