Chit Chat
Options

Blowing off some steam - Online wedding invites

I just don't understand why people think it's ok to make a Facebook event for your wedding and then invite people on Facebook.

Maybe they don't want to waste the money on mailing invitations. Maybe it's happening really quickly. But can you please at least make an actual phone call?

I don't want to sound like a snob. I just find it to be incredibly offensive that they didn't put any thought into it. I'm just a click of the mouse.

Re: Blowing off some steam - Online wedding invites

• Options
    cborries said:
    I just don't understand why people think it's ok to make a Facebook event for your wedding and then invite people on Facebook. Maybe they don't want to waste the money on mailing invitations. Maybe it's happening really quickly. But can you please at least make an actual phone call? I don't want to sound like a snob. I just find it to be incredibly offensive that they didn't put any thought into it. I'm just a click of the mouse.
    Agreed, facebooking your wedding to me is really just awful. I have never actually seen someone do this and find it really ridiculous that this actually happens. I mean postage isn't cheap but really FACEBOOK?! Gross.
  • Options
    With the way technology is going and the new generations growing up with it I'm not surprised it's going in that direction. 

What I am concerned about is, some people friend request each other so they can play their facebook games. If people just go and invite their friends list...I think you're asking for trouble. 

It's just the way the times are headed *shrugs* I don't like it but I can see people going this route. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a cousin do this. But it was really just one step above an elopement -- I think maybe two weeks max from start to finish -- so I'm rather surprised they made that much effort to invite people.
  • Options
    Wow.  That is ridiculous, cheap, and tacky, IMO.  Also, what about people not on facebook or people that don't even know how to use a computer?
  • Options
    CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    doeydo said:
    Wow.  That is ridiculous, cheap, and tacky, IMO.  Also, what about people not on facebook or people that don't even know how to use a computer?
    You do have a point, but hopefully this'll happen after we're long and gone, there's going to be a time where people may not own one but know how to use it. 

>.> my FI's niece and nephew started figuring out the ipads and iphones when they were each 1. We have 4-5 year olds with iphones....

It may not be something we like but I stand strong on this is where the future is headed =( 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FH has friends on his FB who accept wedding events on FB and it shows up in his news feed. He normally asks how people will know how much food/booze or whatever and I always say, 'chances are they will have a cash bar so who cares!" I tell him, unless it is an 'event" to collect addresses to mail an invite, I wouldn't go because if I don't rate a real invite, they don't rate my time.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    mscearcemscearce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2013
    I have seen this one too many times and I feel like its honestly not even a real wedding when this happens like honestly how careless can you be!!!  I mean if you are going to do an "online invite" you could at least take the time to do one off of a website that is pretty with an actual engagement photo or something that has a click yes or no if you can come and write the names.  I am still not a huge fan but I had a family member do that due to money being tight after the father passed away and she is also "go green" with everything so it worked best for them.

and to add to that... I'm sorry but if you can't take the time out of your life to make your wedding more important than a facebook invite then it's not important enough for me to waste my time and spend my money to come.. might sound bitchy but come on now...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CLI242009 said:
    doeydo said:
    You do have a point, but hopefully this'll happen after we're long and gone, there's going to be a time where people may not own one but know how to use it. 

>.> my FI's niece and nephew started figuring out the ipads and iphones when they were each 1. We have 4-5 year olds with iphones....

It may not be something we like but I stand strong on this is where the future is headed =( 

If you don't like it, why did you buy the things for them? Honestly this is one of my hugest pet peeves. They make child-geared tablets. For children. With children's apps and games. No child needs a damn iphone (or even an ipod touch)--who are they going to call when they're five? What's worse is the parents that do this and then wonder why, at ten, fifteen, eighteen years old, their kids are spoiled materialistic entitled brats. (Not saying this will be your kids, but I've seen it a ton and it irks me.

OP, I think FB events for weddings are tacky. Call the person.

• Options
    maryemoo said:
    CLI242009 said:
    doeydo said:

If you don't like it, why did you buy the things for them? Honestly this is one of my hugest pet peeves. They make child-geared tablets. For children. With children's apps and games. No child needs a damn iphone (or even an ipod touch)--who are they going to call when they're five? What's worse is the parents that do this and then wonder why, at ten, fifteen, eighteen years old, their kids are spoiled materialistic entitled brats. (Not saying this will be your kids, but I've seen it a ton and it irks me.

OP, I think FB events for weddings are tacky. Call the person.

I worded that wrong...sorry about that. I meant   >.> my FI's niece and nephew started figuring out the ipads and iphones when they were each 1. "We have 4-5 year olds with iphones...." this was meant as in the general population. Not that my FI and I have kids and we gave them phones. Sorry about the confusion >.> After I re-read what I typed I was like 'crap...that sounds wrong.." haha 

I also agree. No child needs a frickin i phone or i pad. (FI's niece and nephew do not have their own, they play with their mother's) It's like really?!? Wth?! Them growing up expecting to have the "latest technology" is just not a good thing at all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CLI242009 ohhh goodness, thanks for clearing that up! I was seriously shaking my head at that one.
  • Options
    maryemoo said:
    CLI242009 ohhh goodness, thanks for clearing that up! I was seriously shaking my head at that one.
    Yeah sorry about that. >.< my bad!! Hahaha. Again, if/when we have children they are not getting a phone till like high school is what Fi and I decided. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards