New York-Hudson Valley

Hair & Make Up

Is it too early to book a hair & make up artist for a May 2014 wedding? How much does hair and make up usually cost? I'm completely at a loss with this. Some people are telling me to book someone already. Any artist suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!

Re: Hair & Make Up

• I am getting married in November 2014 and have just started to look.  I don't think it is too early at all, especially since you will want to get a trial done.  So far, I have seen prices around $300 for both hair and makeup.  I am hoping to spend much less than that.  Would love to hear suggestions from other brides in the area on who to use.
  • I'm planning to use my regular hair salon, so they'll charge probably between $80-$100 for an updo.  As a bridesmaid I paid between $100-$120 for make up, across 3 different people.  That was 3 to 4 years ago.  
  • I am also getting married in May and already scheudled hair/makeup for that day as well as my trial (for April).   I am going to my regular salon, which charges $65-85 for hair and $55-65 for makeup.  The trial (for hair and makeup is $170).  I had also checked with someone that coems to you, and they quoted $200 for hair and $175 for makeup - plus required a min of 4 people to be getting their hair/makeup done. Not all my bridemaids will need hair and/or makeup and I didn't want to pay that much more just to have someone come to me.   
  • What salons are you both using? We live in Brooklyn, so I'm not too familiar with Hudson Valley.

•  
    ddvirts said:
    What salons are you both using? We live in Brooklyn, so I'm not too familiar with Hudson Valley.

Steven Amendola, in East Fishkill (Dutchess County) Where is your wedding being held?
  • The wedding will be at the Bear Mountain Inn
  • ddvirts said:
    The wedding will be at the Bear Mountain Inn

Mine is at the Overlook Lodge at Bear Mountain - Love it there!!!

Since i am from Dutchess, the places I know of are all around me, or on my side of the river.   Wedding hair by Annaliese (on facebook) was who was suggested to me as someone that comes to you - that was the quote I got for $200.    I know Bear Mtn has a salon/spa as well and offers wedding day hair/makeup specials, although I do not know anyone who used their service so I have no idea how good a job they do. 

• Oh how cool! I know they have a spa there and I'm tempted to try it for convenience, but I can't seem to find a single review. They only have a handful of photos on their site as well, so I'm skeptical.
  • I felt the same way - I considered it but couldn't find much online about it, or any reviews of brides that got their hair there.  Good luck!  
  • I signed with Annaliese on the recommendation of my day of coordinator. I haven't met her yet or had my trial but have heard really good things and she and her team (family) seem easy to work with so far.
  • Does anyone know of someone who does bridal hair / makeup for under $200ish and bridesmaids for under $100 (hair only)?  That's the budget I'm trying to stick to, but I don't live in the area and am having a hard time finding recommendations. 
  • I used christine with color makeup studio.  She charged me $110 for airbrush with lashes to come it me, and my bridesmaids were $70 which also included lashes.  I was extremely happy with her!
    www.colormakeupstudio.com

• I just got married October 19th and I had my hair and make up girl booked for a year before my wedding. She's amazing and has incredible 5 star reviews so I didn't want to miss the opportunity to have her do my hair and make up. I knew I loved her and wanted to book her because my sister hired her for her wedding first. I think my total was around $300 and I'm telling you ladies it was worth every penny and then some! She does airbrushing too and that is included in that cost. She lives in East Rutherford NJ and traveled to Newburgh NY and I was only charged an extra $50 for travel fee. She is professional, fun, and by far the best hair and make up girl around. And the steps she takes your hair and make up will last all day and all night regardless of the weather, your hair type and hair style you choose.
    Look her up! hair and make up by Nicole (Nicole francavilla) or could be listed as beauty by Nicole. You won't regret it. I swear.
  • @ddvirts - I think the spa at Bear Mountain Inn, very pricey.  I am from Rockland & have been going to Shear Magique for over 20 years.  I highly recommend them!  They are convenient to Bear Mountain as well.  They are located on Thiells Mt. Ivy Road in Pomona, which is right off exit 13 on the Palisades Parkway.  You would be taking the Palisades Parkway to exit 19 to get to Bear Mountain.  You can find them on Facebook, and their phone number is (845) 429-1798. 
  • Thanks for your advice everyone! I decided to go with The Hair Bar in Monroe. My FMIL recommended it. I had my trial today, right before our engagement party. My hair and makeup looked amazing and everyone kept saying how beautiful I looked. Rosalinda did my hair and it looked amazing. It was exactly what I wanted and she even took down my hairstyle and did something simple for the engagement party, so that everyone doesn't see my 'do before the wedding. Wendy did my makeup and it was also amazing. I had no idea what I wanted, but her suggestions were right on point. She uses airbrush makeup. Their prices are very reasonable. $85 for hair and $85 for makeup.
  • Christine of Color me Makeup is incredible. My makeup for my wedding was gorgeous & flawless!!!!
  • Jenny from Makeup by Jenny was I think $175 for bride's makeup and for the bridal party was $70

She was amazing, you want to use her! 
  • Christine with color makeup studio is fabulous. I can't say enough amazing things about her...her prices are extremely reasonable, she is talented, and she is super friendly. Only $110 for the bride and $70 for bridesmaids.
  • Hi All, I'm also looking for hair and makeup but in the Nanuet/Stony Point area (where I'm getting married) any other affordable suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards