Wedding Woes

I have very boring work today, so...thoughts on Russell Brand?

http://www.classwarfareexists.com/video-russell-brand-speaks-out-against-the-corporate-oligarchy-and-leaves-host-speechless/

Have you guys seen this?  I've never been a fan, but I might be converted.

Also, I've been having a crisis of faith re: voting for probably the last 5 years.  He might've convinced me to actually not vote, IDK.

Thoughts?

Re: I have very boring work today, so...thoughts on Russell Brand?

• -DINGDINGDING

I feel defeated a lot, because no matter what...it's all about backroom dealing, shaking hands, secret "deals"...I don't think a whole SHAKEUP in how things are as a whole needs to happen.

But I think term limiting can help...for reals.  How do you even TACKLE the issue?  THAT is what I get all *hands up in the air* about.
  • Exactly, O.

Also, I'm loving the "Jeremy, my darling..." and then he rips him a new one.
  • I completely disagree with term limiting as a solution.  Please see the Missouri Legislature for an example of what happens w/term limits.  The organizational knowledge has been completely decimated.  Also, no one works with anyone even w/in their own party, b/c they're there for a limited time, probably on their way to a higher office and so their goals is to simply appeal to the largest constituent base possible, rather than making some tough decisions that might play out well in the end.  I was holding my breath that the nullification bill and the tax bill they were trying to get passed didn't get enough votes to overcome the governor's veto.

I just can't figure out how I can wrap my concerns re: the way the state/nation is going and not voting.  I care very much, I am just starting to feel very disenfranchised.  Part of me things that MORE people voting and all the time would help, but a very real part feels like no real change can happen w/out more people being vocal about a big finger to the government right now.
  • Can you give me a brief rundown of how that played out (re: term limiting)?  And what the issues were?  Turnover at a high rate, no knowledge base, too much at once (turnover)?

I just always think the people in power will NEVER legislate to LIMIT their own power.  And yes, I wanted to capitalize those for reason.  They won't.  Kind of like the people in power maintain their own set of rules, money, status, and benefits that are far above and beyond the people they SERVE (us).

And also, isn't "pandering" to your constituents what you're voted in for? 

Otherwise you're done...screw voting in something that is actually a good idea, value or socially redeemable for the greater good.  NO...if you do...you'll be voted out.  COLORADO, you hear me?!
  • I wish I could remember this political science lesson I used to give.  There are basically 2 models of being a legislator.  One is "always vote what the majority of your population wants".  The other, I think we called it "caretaker" is, "vote as closely as possible, but you are there to protect their interests, even if they don't want it".  Also, democracy is supposed to be about the will of the majority and protecting the rights of the minority.  Which is why "gay" marriage is finally being legalized, b/c the majority doesn't have the right to take away the right of government institutionalized marriage from it's citizens b/c it doesn't like their chosen partner.

So, the term limits forced out people who were actually very good at balancing the will of the majority of their constituents, while listening to and protecting the minority.  There were even a few Republicans in my local area that I supported b/c while I didn't agree w/their platform, I did agree with their votes and actions.  Then you add that since these people were forced out, they have to be replaced and there's not always someone who is actually better waiting in the background.  Finally, there's a lot to be said for institutional knowledge.  A leader who knows all of the ins/out and personalities in the room can accomplish a lot more than a constant stream of newbs.
  • I heard part of the interview and was impressed w/ him.
    Which...I don't get impressed by politico speech often.

I found him infuriatingly vauge though.  He fell into the "look, the system is broken...my answer to fix it is nonexistent, but can we at least acknowledge the brokenness" category.
  • GB, I think that's okay though.  He fully admits that he's just trying to draw attention to the matter and that he doesn't have all of the answers or even know what it would be, but he can draw broad strokes.  I think most people probably feel that way.  

Hell, I have no idea what I would be replacing things with either.  But this (waves arms around) doesn't seem to be working.
  • I think many have never heard or embraced the whole:

VarunaTT said:
     One is "always vote what the majority of your population wants".  The other, I think we called it "caretaker" is, "vote as closely as possible, but you are there to protect their interests, even if they don't want it".  Also, democracy is supposed to be about the will of the majority and protecting the rights of the minority

Because I'm pretty sure I've never heard that in actual political discourse on a regular level (in normal conversation about politics).  Maybe because I live in a Rush Limbaugh listening, Fox News watching, Dr. Laura loving family (ugh on all of that, btw). 

BUT as a voting 'Murican I can say that I'm disgusted with the level of stagnancy, toddler acting adults that are discussing many of the hot topics these days.  GIVE SOMETHING TIME, don't say...you have TWO WEEKS to prove it. 

NO.  And although I don't necessarily agree with a lot of things I'm happy Ms. Sebelius hasn't been thrown to the wolves.  It shows some integrity and stick-tuitiveness.  Random comment, I know.
  • The 24 hour news cycle has definitely had major impacts on our society.

Oh, I agree that most people don't know the full definition.  I remember hammering it into students.  I'd always try and identify some minority group that they would align with so that they would understand why it was protection for them too.
  • Yeah, I'm w/ you Varuna.
    I think "look, this is broken, try something else" is a GOOD starting place.
    But I'd love to have a good long-term plan in place.  One that doesnt involve drinking the kool aid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards