Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Winter wedding ideas in DFW. Help !

Okay so my fiancé and I have decided to forgo the exhausting drag out of an engagement and get married this winter . It just makes no sense to spend tons of money and plan for six to nine months just to impress everyone for one day. We realize it's more about our love for each other & celebrating that with our close friends and family . With that said we are looking at around Christmas time since my family will be in town already from out of state . . . Anyone know of any cheap venues for either just the ceremony or ceremony and reception? And even though I had wanted strictly an outdoor wedding that obviously is now out of the question seeing as it will be 40 degrees come December/January . I don't know , any ideas ? Even if we find a cheap ceremony place we can always just have a reception somewhere else cheap . . .id REALLY love if someone knew of just a big empty barn we could rent out for the evening !

Re: Winter wedding ideas in DFW. Help !

• edited November 2013

Congrats!  I don't want to rain on your parade AT ALL, but I'm worried you might have some trouble with finding cheap venues and vendors.  Do you want a church ceremony?  Probably your best bet is to have a church ceremony and a reception at a restaurant.  Another idea is to see if you have a friend or family member who would be able to let you use their home or yard (or your home).

The barn idea is awesome and I've seen great barn weddings. The problem is, and I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, they are popular so most of those venues are probably booked. If you find one, you need a lot of vendors to pull a barn wedding together.  You have to rent everything from tables and chairs to silverware and dishes.  A lot of vendors are booked for December.

Again, not trying to be a downer.  Just some thoughts.  Good luck!

ETA: I keep misspelling "vendors"!  Tired brain.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's also worth mentioning that we do a small family Christmas at a restaurant on a Saturday night in December, and we usually book the room right after Labor Day. And that's for a 15 person room.
    I second everything @nextrightthing said.
  • I know the thought of renting a barn sounds great but you will need so many other things--like heat for one.  Where is everyone going to go to the bathroom, where are they going to park?  You will have to bring in every chair, table, glass, fork, napkin, plate, etc.  It doesn't come out that cheap in the end, even having BBQ.  Plus, well, it's going to smell like a barn.  The reason the barn venues are expensive is they provide all of this for you.

I went to a small wedding at the chapel at Chestnut Square and she had BBQ in the little hall next door (can't remember the name) in McKinney.  You could also look at the Heard Museum.   

• You might have to consider getting married on a day other than Saturday, but that would actually save you money in the long run.

Lantana Lodge in Pilot Point has several wedding locations onsite, including a barn.
    Anniversary

• I guess one thing I'm curious about is, what do you consider "cheap?" As others mentioned, it might still be possible to get a non-Saturday in December. You might also still be able to snag a Saturday at a less popular venue, but it will take a little digging (and luck). One of my friend's just booked her December 21st wedding last month, but it's at a lesser-known golf club.

I'm not sure how pricey it is, but we visited Cross Timbers Winery (in Grapevine) on a wine tour and it had a really charming atmosphere with a barn. I can't seem to get their website to work right now, but here's their FB page. CLICK

Anniversary
  • The Corral Barn in Plano is nice:

http://www.fairview-farms.com/corral-barn.html

You can do both the ceremony and reception there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards