Wedding Reception Forum

Need a good song for Husband's performance

Hello everyone,

We are doing a surprise first dance, (not really super goofy like most of the ones you see on youtube, but rather really cute.)  anyway, the second to last song is me pushing my husband into a chair and doing a little lip-syncing and dance routine to Christina Aguilara's "Aint no other man."  We want to end with him sitting me in the chair and him doing something similar for me.  We can't think of a good song though.  Thanks for your help!  

Re: Need a good song for Husband's performance

• itzMS said:
    Hello everyone,

We are doing a surprise first dance, (not really super goofy like most of the ones you see on youtube, but rather really cute.)  anyway, the second to last song is me pushing my husband into a chair and doing a little lip-syncing and dance routine to Christina Aguilara's "Aint no other man."  We want to end with him sitting me in the chair and him doing something similar for me.  We can't think of a good song though.  Thanks for your help!  
    I'm really sorry, but this won't go over well and guests will find it awkward. Just do a first dance and call it a day. No one wants to sit and "watch" a multi-song performance piece. Why not save the "sexy" songs for the privacy of your honeymoon suite?
    I couldn't agree more.
  • I agree with PPs.
  • I also agree.  Neither the surprise nor the "performance" would be something I'd appreciate as a guest.
  • Hello everyone,

Yeah.. its not cute if you have a second to last song. That implies you have at least 3 songs..

• This sounds super awkward, sorry. I feel like this is a goofy moment that could remain among you two. And you're talking about 10 minutes or so where your guests have to stay quiet and pretend to pay attention to you guys. 

Do your cute first dance and then open up the floor and have a blast. 
  • This sounds like a really awful idea, but I just have to ask - you say the Christina Aguilera song is the second to last song.  How many songs are you intended to perform for exactly?

• This sounds horrible and as a guest I would be super uncomfortable the entire length of the "performance."

And you are doing a multi-song routine?  Seriously?

• I have to agree this will be awkward. I know you think it's cute and fun, and I'm sure you think your guests are "the fun type and they'll all love it!!!!!   You don't know us!!!!!!" (yawn) but they won't. They'll nod and smile and pretend to think it's great while feeling really uncomfortable about the whole thing, especially if it goes on very long. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Please don't do this. It will be awkward and weird. Your reception is not a chance to put on some big musical number that your guest have no choice but to sit through. 
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    Is this a multi-song thing that's going to take 8-12+ minutes? Or are you talking like a short clip mashup that would last maybe 3-4 minutes altogether? I could maybe see incorporating a short mashup sketch sometime during the night that's just for fun, depending on how tastefully it's done, but I likely wouldn't like it as a first dance. If anything in this piece is remotely approaching raunchy, it's a no. Guests really don't like watching the B&G reenacting or hinting at things that should be private, you know?

Do you have a groom who hates dancing and mushy romance stuff? Then maybe just don't do the whole song alone--you could do the first couple verses and open the dance floor.

ETA: if you are looking for something silly, why not find old photos of the two of you and make a short music video? You can make it as sweet or as spazzy as you want.
  • 3 songs? You would find me at the bar during this whole ordeal. Unless you are professional performers, I think this is a horrible idea. And  if you are professional performers, then i think its AW.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • oh oye vey. no. please please no.

• geez Louise.  It's a mix of 4 songs that total about 3 minutes.   This is a very small wedding with immediate friends and family who know "us"and if they don't like it, then they really shouldn't be there.  They all know I love to dance and my fiance is silly and cracks everyone up when he dances.  I'm not talking strip teases here, just a fun short thing that shows our personalities.  I appreciate everyone's concern.  When I look at the suprise dances on youtube, I agree, most of the are awkward and of the same old songs.  This is different, trust me.  So, if anyone can think of a song for what I'm looking for, I'd really appreciate it.  To give you an idea, he had thought of 500 miles by the proclaimers (like just the first couple of verses and the chorus), but I thought it would be a little too slow.
  • If everyone here is telling you no, maybe that means you should rethink it instead of squealing "Geez Louise etc."

We don't think it's a good idea to treat your guests as a captive audience and make them sit out watching you perform for several dances, regardless of how long they are.  They're here to celebrate with you, not merely watch you celebrate.  Keeping them sitting down and out of the fun, regardless of what you claim they all "know," doesn't constitute good hosting.  And none of us as guests would want to see it.

If you post here, you'll have to accept that we're not always going to agree with you or tell you how to do something you're asking about if we don't think it's a good idea.  Moaning "Geez Louise" and being defensive doesn't score you any points.
  • I understand what you're saying.  However, I think this may boil down to a culture thing.  We're from New Orleans where this sort of thing is the norm, and I'm telling you, when you watch videos back of it, the whole place is up on their feet, cracking up laughing, clapping and cheering them on.  It is not at all what y'all describe.  But I do see those responses when I watch random youtube videos.   My apologies, I should have posted on a local board.  
  • Ok, y'all have changed my mind.  
  • Please, please, don't do this. What guests love- a sweet, sincere, first dance where the bride looks into her groom's eyes like he put the stars in the skies. The groom looks at the bride as if she makes the sun come up in the morning. The guests beam, and we all believe in love. It works. What guests really don't like: sitting in our chairs with forced polite smiles watching contrived choreographed numbers. (3 songs???) It comes across as very narcissistic, a "look at meeeeee!" moment. Or, in this case, three songs worth of moments. I cringe when things like this happen, and have never heard a wedding guest say a good thing about it. When this happens, we are no longer guests, we're audience members at the Look At Me Show. It's a wedding, not a YouTube video or an audition for You think you dance. You're imposing on a captive audience. They have no choice but to smile and say, Well, wasn't that....cute. I really don't mean to be unkind. But please don't. This is a cringeworthy trend that needs to stop. Everyone will be looking at you anyway, because you're the most beautiful girl in the room, and they will go home and say how lovely and sweet. Or they will go home and use words like "juvenile" and "ridiculous" and worse.
    So much all of THIS!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Hello everyone,

This would be my reaction

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130320225429/glee/images/3/3d/Awkward.gif

I'd probably hit up the bar during all of this, especially the faux lip syncing lap dances.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'm sure your special family will love your performance. Enjoy every moment of it. Make sure to use every second of those songs to show people how you truly feel for each other.
  • Just curious, what kind of chair are you using to push each other around in?
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • When you do this, please get it on video and post it here.

This.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just curious, what kind of chair are you using to push each other around in?

I think her goal was to playfully push/sit her DH down in a chair (a normal chair, I believe, but it could be a speshul chair...) and show him who's boss with her milkshake bringing all the boys to the yard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards