Just Engaged and Proposals

how long did you date before he popped the question?

Re: how long did you date before he popped the question?

• My fiance and I had only been dating for 6 months before he popped the question! It happened fast, but I wouldn't have it any other way :)
    Marrying my best friend on May 1, 2015!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 11 years, one month, seven days. It's nice to see other people whose relationships were so long here. I put turtles on my invitations (hence username, too) because we've been so "slow" to get to this point. He came home early from work and tried to take away my phone while I was playing candy crush, but I wouldn't give it to him. So he just started trying to put the ring on my finger while I held the phone and said "We can get married if you want." That's how he rolls. He designed the ring for me and was working on it for three months and I had no idea.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 8 years 2 months.  I had just got back from being out of state for four months and he took me on a trip as my "christmas" present.  I was actually really angry because I got back and four days later he wanted me to get back in a plane and go away again (for a long weekend) and all I wanted to do was sleep.  I was definitely not expecting a proposal.  He proposed to me outside the restaurant where we were eating when he asked me to be his girlfriend.  He had been planning it for around 8 months and the only people who knew where my brother (who did recon- sneaking into my computer to look at the ring styles I liked) and my jeweler (yes I have a jeweler... they designed the ring together).  We will be getting married 4 days after our 9 year dating anniversary.  
  • My fiance and I will have been together for 4 years in June and he proposed to me in February 2014.
  • We were together for exactly 5 years before he proposed and We are planning a 3-year engagement.
  • Five years and I came home from a conference to a proposal.  It was a very nice suprise.
  • About 2 years. Unfortunately we do not remember the exact date we stared dating...Oh well.
  • We were dating a little under 7 years when he proposed :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• A year and 9 months, we will be together for a little over 3 years by the time we get married.
  • 7 1/2 months.  It seems short, but we've actually known each other and have been close friends for 7 years now.
  • Just over 3 1/2 years. I knew it was coming eventually, but I was completely surprised the day of! My best friend and a few co-workers knew about it for a month ahead of time, but everyone did a good job of keeping it a secret :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • allymddallymdd member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    1 year and 8 months to the day...however, we actually, hand to God, met, when I drunkenly stumbled up to him in a bar and asked him to marry me, upon finding out that our mutual friend, also in attendence, was ordained. SOMEBODY WAS GONNA GET HITCHED THAT NIGHT, DAMMIT!
  • kklinkekklinke member
    First Comment
    We dated 1 year and 11 months before my fiance popped the question... We'd been talking about marriage, rings I liked, and what we could see in our future, so I could tell that a proposal was coming. The day of the proposal though I had absolutely no idea it was coming! We were just walking through a garden during a weekend getaway when I turned around and he was on one knee proposing. BEST. DAY. EVER.
  • My fiance and I dated for just under 3 years when he proposed. However, we have known each other from birth and my grandparents and parents & his grandparents and parents grew up together. We plan on getting married in August 2016. I had NO idea he was going to propose. We had talked about marriage and he said, Oh next year, not this year... MEANWHILE he was having the ring made the entire time!! He popped the question in St. Maarten on a regatta yacht with the most perfect ring. I was SHOCKED <3
  • We dated for 4 years to the day - met on 5/31/2010 and were together ever since. He proposed last Saturday on 5/31/14 - we were away for the weekend at a resort celebrating our anniversary and he proposed! We went and looked at rings together in March of this year, but I had no idea when it would happen. We've been living together full-time since May 2012.
  • We had been dating for 9 months when FI proposed.  I told my dad after my second date with FI that I was going to marry FI.  FI and I moved in together just before our 8 month "anniversary" and we had talked about getting married.  A couple of my friends were getting married in May the following year and all FI said was that I would be used to wearing my ering by their wedding.  I figure he wouldn't propose until around Christmas or January, but he surprised me by asking 3 months earlier.
  • 7 years. I thought we were going to pull a Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russel and never get married so I was pretty surprised when he pulled out the ring at the apple orchard. 
  • Bumblybee03Bumblybee03 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2014
    3.5 years. We'll be together 4 on September 4th. We're getting married the day after our 5th year anniversary- 9.5.15.
  • Not even 11 months.  I was surprised!! :)
  • Just under 2 years. Although we had been discussing marriage seriously from about month 7. (and he swears he knew 2 months in he was going to marry me). We were dating long distance for the majority of our relationship and while we both knew we were going to get married, we wanted to wait until we had lived together for a bit to make sure. (Surprisingly easy change from seeing each other 4 days a month to everyday. Pretty much secured it in my mind when there was no awkward transition).

We went ring shopping a month before the 'big move' and 4 months after we moved in together we were engaged. We'll have been dating 3 and half years by the time we get married.
  • I met him in February of last year, we started talking about getting married in March of this year, and got engaged in Universal Studios on May 6th. I was shocked, although everyone (including his mom!) teased me for being surprised, haha. *I* was under the impression we were celebrating his college graduation, though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Before she* proposed, in my case. 

We were together only about 5 months, but we were best friends before that. Basically, we were the last to know that we were dating lol. I love her more than I can say, and somehow she loves me right back. This will be her first marriage, and my second (and LAST!) Because I've already had a wedding, I am letting her plan as much of this as she wants...which will be hard for me, as I am a planning nut! I want to give her the world, and starting in October of 2015, we will be each other's wife and get to live happily ever after :]
  • bookworm1115bookworm1115 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Almost 6 years!  He proposed November 16, 2013 and we started dating January 12, 2008.  We picked out my ring in August 2011 (but he didn't actually buy it until the week before he asked and I didn't know he bought it), but I was totally surprised when he asked!  We were out of town Thursday-Sunday and he didn't ask until Saturday.  I figured that if he was going to ask, he would have done it at the beginning of vacation.  We're getting married November 15, 2014 just a couple months shy of 7 years!  Edited for clarification and typos.
  • 3.5 years. We'll be together 4 on September 4th. We're getting married the day after our 5th year anniversary- 9.5.15.
    Almost the same for me, just over 3.5 years for the proposal. Been together since sept 5th 2010, getting married Sept 26 2015 :)
  • We were together 6.5 years. We'll be married on our 8-year anniversary.

I knew it was coming, but didn't know exactly when. We had talked about marriage a lot, knew it was going to happen, but were in no rush. (I did tell him that I'd like to have some time just being married before we start a family, so ideally I wanted to be married before we were 30, when my "planning window" starts). 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • We were together for 5 year, and living together for 3. We had talked about marriage and our future together, but it was a complete surprise when it happened. We were on vacation with my family, so I did not suspect it at all. We got a bit of alone time at the beach, and he popped the question. I didn't expect it at all because we were on family vacation, but he said he wanted to do it then, so I could celebrate with my family who lives in a different country. It was well worth the wait!!
  • 3 1/2 years and then he did this just this past weekend.

• First date was in 13 February 2008 and I proposed on 28 June 2014, so just over 6 years
  • Six months here too! I'm glad to see some ladies with similar stories. I was judged SO much when we first announced it. FI's side wasn't exactly thrilled either, they're on board now. I guess they just weren't expecting it. The only person he told was my father when he asked for his blessing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards