Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Reasons to get "certified copies" of Marriage Licenses

It sounds like a great idea but $ is super tight right now - fiance is out of work. Is this something we are going to need right away?

Re: Reasons to get "certified copies" of Marriage Licenses

• Options
    I can tell you from experience, get at LEAST one copy! 

We had our license and hubby left for the Army, they wanted a copy of our license (i did fight hubby on taking it because i felt like they should make a copy, not need the original). He took it and we NEVER got it back. 

Its easy to get a copy but i wish i had an extra copy to give them. Then and applying for some housing was the only time i have ever had to present a copy. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• Options
    If you plan on changing your last name, you will need to present a copy to do this (social security office, DMV, etc). If you're keeping your maiden name, you can probably hold off on getting a copy.
  • Options
    I think it depends on where you live.

In Maryland, where I live, we always had our marriage license in our hands.  Meaning the nice marriage license was on top and then there were other different colored copies attached and that were then ripped away.  One went to the city where we got married and one went to our officiant.  So we only have one copy of our marriage license and have never gotten any additional certified copies. When I went to change my name at the SSO, DMV, bank, etc all they wanted was a copy (which they made themselves) and not a certified copy.

I would check to see who will need a certified copy before you go and spend money on copies that you may never even need or use.

• Options
    We needed to send a certified copy to my insurance company when I added H to my medical insurance. So, if you are going to have joint benefits of any kind you will probably need a certified copy.
  • Options
    We needed it to get added to my husband's insurance... I'd say it's good to have it no matter what though.
  • Options
    The only reason we got more than one was that we had an international honeymoon before I changed my name.

Worst case scenario (jail, accident/hospitalization, illness, missed flights) we wanted to be able to prove our marriage. DH & I each carried a copy and we gave one to each set of parents.

Overkill, but worth it.
  • Options
    Most companies require a certified copy to be added to insurance.

I didn't change my name, and neither H or I needed to be added to insurance, so I have never used my certified copies. So for 16 months, so far, I have not needed it. 

• Options
    Yes, certified copies are supposed to be as good as the original copy but you don't have to risk anything happening to the original. In my county because I was marrying a Marine we got one free certified copy, not sure if that is standard or just my county (Montgomery County in Texas) but just an FYI to future military wives! So far I've had to use my certified copy to get into DEERS, for my Social Security, passport, license, etc.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • Options
    crazypugladycrazypuglady member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    @Maggie0829 I just got married in Baltimore County last month.. there was only one certificate that the officiant signs off on.. and the MVA now requires the certified copy. Gotta love MD.. land where they tax the rain... and make you pay for a COPY of your marriage cert when you're holding the real one in your hand.(PS- the SSA and work [fed gov't] had no problem taking the original cert.)
  • Options
    @Maggie0829 I just got married in Baltimore County last month.. there was only one certificate that the officiant signs off on.. and the MVA now requires the certified copy. Gotta love MD.. land where they tax the rain... and make you pay for a COPY of your marriage cert when you're holding the real one in your hand.(PS- the SSA and work [fed gov't] had no problem taking the original cert.)
    Congratulations!! 

That is good information to know. I got married over 2 years ago so it really doesn't surprise me that our lovely state has made some changes. 

Ugh and that rain tax crap. So we get penalized whenever mother nature decides to shed a tear. Ridiculous!

• Options

Depending on your employer/health insurance provider, you may need to provide copy of license (not necessarily certified) but other places that may require to see or keep a copy of a certified copy

-Insurance

-Social Security office

-Dept. of Motor Vehicles

-Passport

-Credit Card companies (mine didn't but different companies have different rules)

• Options
    Most government agencies require a certified copy for things like changing your name on social security, changing your name on your passport, changing your driver's license ect. Military also requires certified copies to add spouses to DEERS. If you live out of state you will have to send in copies to different agencies, and if anyone is applying for permanent residency or citizenship you again need to procure certified copies. It all depends on your situation, and how many place you need to take your paperwork to. But certified copies should not cost more than a couple dollars. My issuing state gave copies for 25 cents each and an additional 2 dollars each to certify. It shouldn't break the bank, unless your state is much more expensive.
  • Options
    Yes, you need to do it. Get one copy at least. I don't know how much they are in your area, but it was only $8 for ours. I have needed it for a ton of things. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards