Plus-Sized
Options

Plus size dress ordered online?

Ok, Ok, First of all, I know! Haha, I know that you should never ever order offline, blah blah, but I'm broke!

Has anyone ordered a dress online using their measurements? How did it work out? And if anyone could recommend a site, that would be great!

Re: Plus size dress ordered online?

• Options
    try http://www.lightinthebox.com   they have everything and custom made you just give your measurements, it even shows you how to measure.
  • Options

Some people get lucky with places like that, but most don't.  Lightinthebox is one of more popular sites, but if you google their name, you will find hundreds of horror stories.  Why not consider getting a dress from Davids Bridal during their $99.00 sale?  They have dozens of dresses under $300.00 and you won't have to worry about it looking horrible and being totally ill fitting.  Most knockoff dresses come back with terribly poor quality fabric and the sizing is WAY off. 

• Options

This is an example of a knockoff.  The one on the left is a Mori Lee gown. The one on the right is a knockff of that gown... 

• Options
    dressfame will make you satisfied!!!!
  • Options
    There are places you can order from online and still avoid the Chinese knockoff dresses and high prices.  I was seriously tempted to order from lightinthebox and then I did the math.  Even with free shipping, that dress had the potential to become a 300$ nightmare.  If they ship the $140 dress to me for free and it doesn't fit/ isn't right, I have to pay at least $60 to ship it back there, then another $60 for them to ship another dress or fixed dress to me.  That's if they even send the replacement dress (and that's a big if).  For that same $260 I have no doubt I can find a better way.

Amazon believe it or not has a huge selection of plus-size white gowns perfect for a wedding that are backed by Amazon's return policy.  E-bay and Craigslist often have past brides looking to make a few $$ back on the wedding dress they paid full price for or never wore. Macy's and Nordstrom occasionally has an evening gown in white or ivory online that would be perfect for a wedding.  David's Bridal has an online outlet where there are dresses as low as $79.99 right now.  The selection and availability there change all the time, but it's worth keeping an eye on it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This is an example of a knockoff.  The one on the left is a Mori Lee gown. The one on the right is a knockff of that gown... 

Wow! The dress on the right reminds me of one of those colorful dusters!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I'm heading for amazon now! :)
  • Options
    A friend of mine ordered her dress online and it came out beautifully. I considered it as we are having a small intimate ceremony in Vegas but then I found "the" dress. I would be concerned about dress quality and the cost of replacing it not to mention the wasted time if it needed to be replaced.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CTYankeeBrideCTYankeeBride member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I just ordered this dress from Amazon.  It gets fantastic reviews and it was free shipping and free returns, so if I hate it, I can return it.  Amazon backs this purchase, so if I have problems I am dealing with Amazon and not "Jackie from somewhere in Shanghai."  Pacific Plex (the seller) has a bunch of great dresses in their Amazon store for very reasonable prices and the worst review I saw on this one is that it's a little large in the bust. The picture of the dress alone on Amazon doesn't do it justice so I scrolled through the reviews and found plenty of plus-size brides wearing this dress and it looks gorgeous.

It arrives this week, I'll be sure to report back.

Here it is on a bride who added sleeves to it (which I might do):

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, Ok, First of all, I know! Haha, I know that you should never ever order offline, blah blah, but I'm broke!

Has anyone ordered a dress online using their measurements? How did it work out? And if anyone could recommend a site, that would be great!
    Don't order from a Chinese knockoff site.  You'll most likely find yourself broker than broke!  Great suggestions by PPs.
  • Options
    i bought mine at jjs house. i took the risk of spending $200  and my dress is lovely even better than the pictures. 
  • Options
    I used lightinthebox, my fiance and i read their measurement guide and he measured me and I ordered (with their measurements, never do custom measurements) and the dress came like 3 weeks later and fit me like a glove, i was EXTREMELY impressed with it. The only issue I had was that there were flowers sewn on the front that I loved in the pictures, but they didn't look as nice on the dress. I talked to customer service and got a 50% refund for it, and I'll pay very little to have them removed during alterations.
  • Options
    I ordered a dress from an Etsy shop with seamstresses in China. Sent in very exact measurements according to all of the information they provided. The dress itself seemed OK -- the craftmanship was fine, the fabric was not great and it did not come close to fitting correctly. I knew it was a gamble but tried it anyway. $145 total. If you have money to gamble away, I'd try it otherwise not a great idea. You just never know.
  • Options
    My china dress using my measurements fit pretty good. The problem was in the straps but I could have measured wrong. I think that if you can afford to not use the dress and you have the time, it's worth the gamble :)
  • Options

I think it's also important to remember the moral issues that come with ordering a knockoff.  The designers spend a lot of time developing their designs, and places like lightinthebox and jjhouse are stealing their designs and doing a really poor job of replicating them.   You are actively participating in intellectual property theft.  Additionally, you have no idea what the labor practices are when you buy a knockoff.  How do you think they can sell these dresses for $100-200?  How much do you think they are paying the people, which could likely be children, to sew these gowns? 

Davids Bridal has sales and often has dresses for $100-300.  Why risk buying a dress from a knockoff website where you know there is a chance the dress will be unwearable, and you have no idea what illegal practices you participated in?

• Options

I ordered a dress form china - FabulousU.com and it was a disaster. But they send you pictures for your approval before they send the dress to you just to make sure you like it. Well I did NOT like the dress and went back and forth with them for quite some time ... they ended up making me a whole new dress at no additional cost and it turned out very very good. It was $499 (Pnina replica ~ $15,000)

While going back and forth with this company, I ended up finding another Chinese vendor on ebay with 100% feedback. I ordered from them and got a GREAT dress for $219. Its a tiny big in the bust but I'm still very pleased with the work So now I have 2 dresses, guess I'll put one on craiglist.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards