Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Candy Buffet?!

I really want a candy buffet but my fiance doesn't have an opinion (he does not eat sweets so doesn't really care if we even have a cake).  Our colors are red, black, and white. What are your opinions on candy buffets? Also, would it look weird to do candies of all colors or should we stick to our colors? My MOH thinks people wont like most of the candies offered in our colors.

Re: Candy Buffet?!

• Options
    I only like candy buffets if the candy involved is of good quality (think, truffles, brittle, fresh handmade candies, etc) rather then cheap, no name brand candy that tastes like plastic.  I also, think that whenever the candy is color coordinated to the wedding colors, the candy is typically crappy.  If you are going to do this then do it well and just know that it won't be cheap.

• Options
    I only like candy buffets if the candy involved is of good quality (think, truffles, brittle, fresh handmade candies, etc) rather then cheap, no name brand candy that tastes like plastic.  I also, think that whenever the candy is color coordinated to the wedding colors, the candy is typically crappy.  If you are going to do this then do it well and just know that it won't be cheap.

I agree. No one will care if you have Snickers in brown wrappers that don't match your color scheme.  But they will be disappointed if all you have is cinnamon candy and black licorice because that is what is available in your colors. 

Candy buffets are completely optional-if you don't want to invest in better-tasting candy, just skip it. No one will walk out of your wedding saying "damnit that wedding was great except egads they didn't have a candy bar!"
  • Options
    If you have a candy buffet, don't worry about matching colors.  This is something guests don't care about.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Taste > matching colors 

Always. I'm never a fan of candy where it's obvious it's used more as a decoration and prop to bring in wedding colors than delicious chocolates and sweets. It's a waste of your money. Pony up for the good stuff or don't do it at all. No one will miss it if you don't have one, but people will be bummed if you do have one and the candy is gross.

Bring in your colors with flowers, ribbon, linens and containers. Find some serving dishes in your colors and/or spray paint bases and jars to match. 

ETA: some suggestions for your color scheme:

- tuxedo dark chocolate covered strawberries
    - white chocolate peppermint bark
    - chocolate cookies with macadamia nuts and white choc. chips
    - cheesecake bites with strawberry and chocolate swirl
    - pretzels dipped in white or dark chocolate drizzled w/ red icing or dipped in red sprinkles
    - dark chocolate brownies with white choc chips and topped with a fresh raspberry
    -meringue cookies dipped in strawberry and chocolate coating

and that's all I got. But you get the idea.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think people get too restrictive about color. If you want people to EAT the candy, it needs to taste good.
    Browns, whites, metallics--they're all neutrals! And they all look great with your colors. Think chocolates, truffles, cake pops, brownies, cheesecake, fruit, almond bark, yogurt-dipped treats--they all go. Don't forget that foil wrappers or decorative boxes also help keep things looking cohesive.
  • Options
    My issue with all the baked stuff (like brownies, cake pops, etc), and fruit things like strawberries, is that my venue is doing all the catering and everything is included. We were going to do a chocolate fountain with various treats but anything we bring in has to be prepackaged and approved by the venue. They take responsibility for all food served so if something makes someone sick, they are responsible for that. I thought maybe the candy buffet would be a good alternative to doing favors since we can't think of anything to do. I think it would be fairly easy to get the venue to approve candy. I've never helped plan a wedding, nor has my mom (who is my main helper) except her own, 33 years ago. My MOH lives 4 1/2 hours away so I can only do so much with her. I just need help!
  • Options
    My issue with all the baked stuff (like brownies, cake pops, etc), and fruit things like strawberries, is that my venue is doing all the catering and everything is included. We were going to do a chocolate fountain with various treats but anything we bring in has to be prepackaged and approved by the venue. They take responsibility for all food served so if something makes someone sick, they are responsible for that. I thought maybe the candy buffet would be a good alternative to doing favors since we can't think of anything to do. I think it would be fairly easy to get the venue to approve candy. I've never helped plan a wedding, nor has my mom (who is my main helper) except her own, 33 years ago. My MOH lives 4 1/2 hours away so I can only do so much with her. I just need help!
    Well since favors aren't a requirement then I would just forgo the candy buffet.

• Options
    Well since favors aren't a requirement then I would just forgo the candy buffet.
    This. Just don't have favors. They're really not necessary and fewer and fewer people are having them.

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    I like candy buffets because I like sweets.  I think candy bars look best when it is in the wedding colours and not a random assortment.  Examples of red, black, and white candy bars:
  • Options
    I love candy buffets, but not the ones in the wedding colors. I hate the ones with loose candies and scoops. Kids stick their grubby hands in there - heck so do adults! I don't eat off those kids - YUCK! I prefer the name brand candy that is individually wrapped. Not everything int he room has to color coordinate, despite what pintrest tells you. But that's just MHO :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards