Plus-Sized

Can someone calm my nerves about alterations?

So I picked up my dress and while it is still absolutely gorgeous I didn't love the way it looked on ME as much as I did the first time. The alterations are done separately so I was able to take the dress with me before I meet with a seamstress. The bust definitely needs to be taken in and it needs to be shortened as well but the bottom of the dress is all English lace. How do they shorten the length on these type of dresses? Do they have to completely take the dress apart (that's terrifying)? Also, I'm really worried that it's not going to look how it did when I first tried it on. I keep going back and forth between the two pictures and stressing over it. 

Re: Can someone calm my nerves about alterations?

• A good seamstress is going to be able to maintain the integrity of the dress.  Taking in a bust is a pretty routine alteration.  It is possible that they will remove the lace from the bottom of the dress, hem the dress, and then reattach the lace.  This is also pretty common and a reputable seamstress is going to be able to do this without issue.

Part of the reason the dress looks different is that the dress you tried on was very likely clipped or tucked into place at the salon whereas the dress you ordered is not.  That's what good alterations do- they will make the dress look like it was made just for you.  

As a person who routinely does alterations, I'm telling you that with a reputable seamstress, that dress is going to look just as beautiful as you remember it being in the store and that these are very routine alterations.  It isn't like you're asking a seamstress to reconstruct a dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay, after seeing your dress I stand corrected- they will likely "hem" your dress from the bustline.  This doesn't necessarily mean they'll take it apart.  Take your dress to a good seamstress, and I'm sure that it will be fine.  You'll be able to see what she's going to do once you have it on and she's pinning it to hem it. Ask questions- most seamstresses I've ever dealt with are happy to put a bride's mind to rest. It's a beautiful dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A good seamstress will make you look exactly the way you want to look. The alterations you need are very common, and should pose no problem. You are going to be gorgeous.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Thank you both! @CTYankeeBride Yeah, I was worried with my specific dress because of the layers how it would work. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards