Favors
Options

No Favors!!

They all get left behind. Put that money into another part of your wedding. More food or cocktails.

Re: No Favors!!

• Options
    They do not "all" get left behind if you choose the right favor. Trinkets and tchotchkes tend to get left behind, yes, but many people like edible favors. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    They do not "all" get left behind if you choose the right favor. Trinkets and tchotchkes tend to get left behind, yes, but many people like edible favors. 

I agree, I personally would leave a trinket favor behind so it would be wise to spend your money somewhere else. I love edible favors at weddings so I plan on making cake balls decorated in our colors. I love baking and know most of the people invited would rather have something to eat than something they have to take home. It'll only cost me around $20 to do and a few hours the week of the wedding, which I already know will be stressful but I have a wonderful FI who loves to help :)

• Options
    Not true. Our friends had olive oil and balsamic as their favors and people loved them. Everyone took theirs home and even tried to get extras because they were awesome.

• Options
    I never leave favors behind even when they are trinkets. I enjoy having reminders from friend's weddings.
  • Options
    We made jam for our wedding and people still talk about how tasty it was. But yes, favors are completely unnecessary and it's fine to skip them.
  • Options
    Although I don't agree that they all get left behind (the edible ones anyway), I'm always in favor of skipping unnecessary stuff like favors if it means a better cocktail hour or stocked bar. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I know there is a lot of hype surrounding donations instead of favors. I liked the idea of making a donation to a charity my family contributes to every year on behalf of all of my guests for my wedding but I didn't want to seem like I was chinzing my guests so I did both a donation and a favor. We are putting together small bags of gourmet popcorn for each place setting then attaching a small card to the tag to encourage guests to check out the website to the charity that both my groom and I hold near and dear to our hearts. Our families that contribute to the charity with us every year will appreciate the extra donation and those that don't know about the charity don't have to feel left out or in the dark and get to know more about us as a couple.
  • Options
    I know there is a lot of hype surrounding donations instead of favors. I liked the idea of making a donation to a charity my family contributes to every year on behalf of all of my guests for my wedding but I didn't want to seem like I was chinzing my guests so I did both a donation and a favor. We are putting together small bags of gourmet popcorn for each place setting then attaching a small card to the tag to encourage guests to check out the website to the charity that both my groom and I hold near and dear to our hearts. Our families that contribute to the charity with us every year will appreciate the extra donation and those that don't know about the charity don't have to feel left out or in the dark and get to know more about us as a couple.
    The thing is, your wedding was not an awareness-raising event and you didn't come off as unselfish and altruistic by using your favors to promote the charity.

It would have been more polite to just donate to the charity without involving your wedding.
  • Options
    dpelkey724dpelkey724 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    I was really against giving favors at my reception until I came up with something that was relevant to my fiance and I, cheap, easily homemade, edible, and cute.  I would say skip them, unless you come up with something that would really resonate with your wedding - or at least something that would really resonate with your guests.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I am baking homemade cupcakes to give as favors. They won't get thrown out, and if they get left behind,that's just more to take home for the guests who enjoy desserts.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @Jen4948 I understand what you are saying. To me I did this because literally 85% of our guests donate yearly with us and its around the same that we make our yearly donation. That's why it wasn't just the donation and a real favor was included. In no way am I condoning a donation only favor.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    @Jen4948 I understand what you are saying. To me I did this because literally 85% of our guests donate yearly with us and its around the same that we make our yearly donation. That's why it wasn't just the donation and a real favor was included. In no way am I condoning a donation only favor.
    It's still not appropriate to have a "donate" at all favor.  Just because a large number of your guests donate to this charity doesn't mean that it's appropriate to use your personal occasion to "raise awareness."  That's not why your guests are there, and it's using the other % who don't donate or support the charity or even just don't want to hear about who you think is "less fortunate."  It's treating your guests as a captive audience.

Edited to add: By all means feel free to donate of your personal funds and any gifts you don't want to keep (as long as you do this discreetly).   Just don't use your wedding as a pulpit.
  • Options
    I am baking homemade cupcakes to give as favors. They won't get thrown out, and if they get left behind,that's just more to take home for the guests who enjoy desserts.
    I am thinking of doing the same thing!  I love baking, so for me this would be fun.  Plus, who doesn't love cupcakes??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Jen4948 you think it's inapproriate, and I don't see a problem with it. So i guess we will have to agree to disagree since you aren't invited to my wedding to be offended by my act anyway. :)
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited December 2013
    @Jen4948 you think it's inapproriate, and I don't see a problem with it. So i guess we will have to agree to disagree since you aren't invited to my wedding to be offended by my act anyway. :)
    You asked for opinions by posting here, and you got one that you don't agree with.  If you're going to get married, grow up and accept that without coming off like a petulant adolescent.
  • Options
    I actually never asked your opinion on my post but I thank you for it anyway. I am not offended by what you said in regards to my choice thats why I said I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am just as much an adult as you are, except I don't resort to name calling for no reason. Seems like you are the one acting petulant.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited December 2013
    I actually never asked your opinion on my post but I thank you for it anyway. I am not offended by what you said in regards to my choice thats why I said I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am just as much an adult as you are, except I don't resort to name calling for no reason. Seems like you are the one acting petulant.
    You are the one acting petulant with your "I didn't ask for your opinion" crap-even if you said "thank you" afterwards, it still comes off as adolescent and immature as well as not understanding the nature of the Internet or of this forum. 

By choosing to post here or for that matter anywhere else on the Internet, you did indeed seek opinions, and etiquette holds that promoting charities is not appropriate at personal events.  If you want to hold an awareness-raiser or a fundraiser for a charity, then you need not to make it a personal event-that's baiting and switching as well as treating your guests as a captive audience.  Hearing about your charity is not why they are attending your wedding, so don't use your wedding as an awareness-raiser or a fundraiser.
  • Options

Clearly you are just not understanding that I don't care what you say, my opinion on the matter will not change. That's the beauty of an opinion it doesn't have to be the same as yours. So yes by posting on the internet I open myself up for criticism and obviously I have been open to that by stating over and over again that YOU are entitled to your opinion but it just is not the same as mine. I have been the better person here, not you, and with that I choose to be the adult and end this ridiculous back and forth with you because it really is pointless for both parties. My apologies to the OP for having to deal with such nonsense on her thread.

• Options
    I am thinking of doing the same thing!  I love baking, so for me this would be fun.  Plus, who doesn't love cupcakes??
    Exactly why I'm doing it. I LOVE baking!! And you're right, cupcakes are a universally enjoyed treat :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    It's still not appropriate to have a "donate" at all favor.  Just because a large number of your guests donate to this charity doesn't mean that it's appropriate to use your personal occasion to "raise awareness."  That's not why your guests are there, and it's using the other % who don't donate or support the charity or even just don't want to hear about who you think is "less fortunate."  It's treating your guests as a captive audience.

Edited to add: By all means feel free to donate of your personal funds and any gifts you don't want to keep (as long as you do this discreetly).   Just don't use your wedding as a pulpit.
    This.  I don't understand why couples feel the need to donate in such a public fashion.  To me, it just comes across as showing off....."Look how FABULOUS we are!  We donated to the xx foundation!!  Aren't we wonderful?!".  

Why can't you donate privately?  
  • Options
    Exactly, Joan. It's AWish. " Oooohhh! Look at what a good person I am." If you really wanted to give, then sell your gifts and take all that cash, plus your cash gifts, and give it all to the charity. Then I'd be impressed.
  • Options
    I think this is a lovely idea.  We plan on doing the same thing at our wedding.  

Haters gonna hate :)
  • Options
    Exactly.
    It just comes across as incredibly pretentious to donate as a "favor" to your guests. First off, you're assuming that everyone is some idiot needing to be educated about the woes of the world and so you need to educate them by proselytizing about it at your wedding. Secondly, it's not a favor to your guests to donate to some organization in their name.
    Donate to whatever you want but please do not do so in the guise of a "gift" to your guests when it is no such thing at all.

• Options
    We debated premium open bar or favors. We went with premium open bar. If you want to remember my wedding, I'll send you pictures. Favors I do like are the photobooth strips.
  • Options

Likewise - we're not 100% committed to our favor yet, but we think it will be homemade fudge. Pretty sure everyone will take it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Likewise - we're not 100% committed to our favor yet, but we think it will be homemade fudge. Pretty sure everyone will take it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I may upgrade to a premium bar in lieu of favors, but if I do decide in favor of favors, I will make sea salted caramels.  I LOVE to cook, and it is a personal way thank my guests for coming.
  • Options
    My dad makes these INSANELY addictive roasted pecans, so we are doing those, and any that are left over, my family will fight over. I'm learning by lurching that food is best, so why fight the majority!
  • Options
    I have a photobooth so everyone will get the photo strip if they choose to partake. Then I am debating on cooking something small like brownie pops or something? And having a smores bar! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards