Wedding Etiquette Forum

How hot is too hot?

2»

Re: How hot is too hot?

• I think that 79 would probably be OK for me, but any hotter would be uncomfortable. Since you can't guarantee that 79 average is what you'd get, I'd say find somewhere inside. Sorry!
  • we picked early June because we thought late June or July would be too hot in Sacramento, even for a 6pm outdoor ceremony.  Weather patterns all showed 80s at that time of year, and even the week leading up to our wedding the forecast was a high of low 90s--which was hot, but not horrible (people were used to it).  2 days prior, weather SPIKED and we now had 100+ weather!  It was 100 degrees at my 6pm ceremony.  The venue was well prepared with bottled water for the guest as they arrived and had fans and parasols available for them to use.  Our ceremony lasted less than 15 minutes and the guest moved to the cocktail hour that was outside still but had fans and misters on the patio.  We got them into the AC reception area as soon as we could.  Not one person complained of the heat.  People knew to dress for the weather and the venue was A+ at keeping everyone comfortable. 

always have a back up plan (we did)-- if it was going to be uncomfortably hot we could have moved it inside-- but I am glad everyone was confident we were OK to stay outdoors and just did it quick and kept the day moving.  Now if I had an all outdoors event at 2pm we definitely would have had to go to plan B, but luckily the evening ceremony had a nice breeze even at 100 degrees. 

Anniversary
  • No. No. No. Your guests will be miserable! Please don't do this.
  • erinlin25 said:
    we picked early June because we thought late June or July would be too hot in Sacramento, even for a 6pm outdoor ceremony.  Weather patterns all showed 80s at that time of year, and even the week leading up to our wedding the forecast was a high of low 90s--which was hot, but not horrible (people were used to it).  2 days prior, weather SPIKED and we now had 100+ weather!  It was 100 degrees at my 6pm ceremony.  The venue was well prepared with bottled water for the guest as they arrived and had fans and parasols available for them to use.  Our ceremony lasted less than 15 minutes and the guest moved to the cocktail hour that was outside still but had fans and misters on the patio.  We got them into the AC reception area as soon as we could.  Not one person complained of the heat.  People knew to dress for the weather and the venue was A+ at keeping everyone comfortable. 

always have a back up plan (we did)-- if it was going to be uncomfortably hot we could have moved it inside-- but I am glad everyone was confident we were OK to stay outdoors and just did it quick and kept the day moving.  Now if I had an all outdoors event at 2pm we definitely would have had to go to plan B, but luckily the evening ceremony had a nice breeze even at 100 degrees. 
    Not one person complained to your face, that doesn't mean that they won't be talking for years about the wedding where they had to sit outside in 100 degree temperatures.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live in DC, so further north than you and probably a little cooler. I don't even go to outdoor happy hours in July when I can wear shorts and a t shirt because it's just too hot. My hair is immediately gross from the humidity (and I have easy, straight hair), face feels immediately shiny and oily, and I feel sweaty and gross in about 2 seconds. I was in a wedding this past June overseas, and it was a high of 90 or so that day. Not all that humid either. Well, I could feel sweat dripping down the back of my legs during the ceremony, I desperately needed to powder my nose basically immediately, and the men were all starting to sweat in their nice suits. Oh, and they kept wiping sweat from their brows during they ceremony. Please rethink your plan. People WILL be uncomfortable, you WILL have sweaty people in your pictures, and with all the moving around (pics, greeting, etc) you will feel the worst of them all.
  • For me 89 degrees with humidity is miserable. Take into consideration your guest list. If you have any elderly guests or know of anyone with health issues where the heat & humidty could cause them issues that could cause them to become ill, I would reconsider the date or the location.

Keep in mind of those temps & humidty for your GM if you plan to have them in full suits/tuxes, they will melt for sure. Also for your girls and the dress you pick out too. If you pick out a satin dress or ballgown that has lots of layers below, you will be miserable. I got married in November in lower 40's and was still warm in my satin ballgown.

Does the venue have an indoor ceremony option should the weather get bad like strong storms or if the weather is unseasonable warm?

• My H's cousin got married in an outdoor wedding in July...in AZ (115+ temps).  We didn't say anything to their face, but believe me, that was all the guests were talking about to each other was how miserable it was even though their ceremony was only about 15 min.  It is still one of the worst weddings I've ever been to all because of 15 minutes of sitting outside...
  • Pepper6 said:
    My H's cousin got married in an outdoor wedding in July...in AZ (115+ temps).  We didn't say anything to their face, but believe me, that was all the guests were talking about to each other was how miserable it was even though their ceremony was only about 15 min.  It is still one of the worst weddings I've ever been to all because of 15 minutes of sitting outside...
    Was she fucking on something when she made that decision?  She should count her lucky stars that some of her guests didn't get heat stroke!

• Pepper6 said:
    My H's cousin got married in an outdoor wedding in July...in AZ (115+ temps).  We didn't say anything to their face, but believe me, that was all the guests were talking about to each other was how miserable it was even though their ceremony was only about 15 min.  It is still one of the worst weddings I've ever been to all because of 15 minutes of sitting outside...
    Was she fucking on something when she made that decision?  She should count her lucky stars that some of her guests didn't get heat stroke!
    Her exact words were "It's such a pretty location...and it's WAY cheaper in the summer!"  Yeah...there's a reason summer weddings here are like 50% off.  It's been 4 years and his family STILL talks about how awful it was.  We're all native AZ, so we're used to the heat and all, but that does NOT mean we want to sit outside in dress clothes in July either.  And the reception reeked of BO....
  • I agree with the PPs about how it's ok if you keep it to 15 minutes. But I think you need to have the cocktail hour indoors like the reception so they immediately have somewhere cool to go. Provide cold drinks, fans, etc. to help and decide that if it's over X temperature, you will provide a tent or find an indoor space. 

Just decide if it's really a risk you're willing to take. My friends sister had an outdoor wedding in June, and over half the guests ended up leaving because it was so miserable. The bride almost fainted during the ceremony because she was so hot in her dress.
  • I'm nervous about our outdoor ceremony in late June in DC. We put together a backup rain or heat plan. If we are above 85 degrees or it's raining, we will be inside. Cocktail hour has outdoor, outdoor covered, and indoor options. Reception is inside. If you can get a tent set up with AC and/or fans as a backup, I think this is doable.
  • I probably wouldn't mind the ceremony and cocktail hour being outside but I would be uncomfortable Spending the whole evening outdoors. The sun may leave but the humidity stays and the mosquitos come out. I think the ceremony + cocktail hour is acceptable but after that the reception should be indoors.
  • From a former resident of Houston, TX: I advise against this.  However "perfect" the venue might seem now, it won't seem that way to guests who are ready to keel over from the heat or are batting at mosquito stings.
  • Sounds like hell to me, thinking of all the horrible outdoor weddings I've been to, sitting in the sun, the humidity, when I'm all dressed up and husband in a suit.
  • Thank you all for the advice. It was a bit 50/50, which would probably be the reaction by my guests. We were going to have to make too many concessions to make the summer evening work, and you all gave me so much to think about. We've eliminated that venue (much to my aesthetic displeasure) and are looking at outdoor venues in cooler months. Thanks!
  • @IMathlete I hope you find a venue that you absolutely love.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    @IMathlete I hope you find a venue that you absolutely love.
    Thanks! I do too. It's really been a struggle, but I really am not willing to make my guests suffer for the sake of the chance of it being a nice day. Perhaps bridal portraits...

We are making a final decision tomorrow, so I am hoping I get some inspiration in the meantime!
  • IMathlete said:
    @alisonmarie658, it would be a short ceremony. Less than 1/2 an hour. We are not religious, so it would just be a quick intro, vow exchange, rings, and a kiss. :-) And we will certainly have a seat for everyone! We'd add in cold bottled water and perhaps a mojito or other cool cocktail for guests upon arrival.

@lalalaurita We can move the ceremony to 7, but any later and we're really pushing dinner. I'd love to find another venue, but everything in our area is booked. This is the only date for a garden within an hour drive.
    If the ceremony isn't that long, I think your guests will be able to deal with the heat.  If I were you though, I'd be more concerned about YOUR comfort.  Wedding dresses are HOT.  It's not exactly uncommon for a bride to get dehydrated and feel faint because her dress is causing her to overheat.  (Sometimes the bride actually DOES faint for that reason).  As much as you work to make sure your guests are kept cool (With chairs and cold water and only being in the heat for a little bit, I really think they'll be fine.  Especially if a lot of them live in the southeast as well- they'll be used to the heat) Make sure you work to make sure YOU are kept cool, your dress will make you a lot hotter than any of your guests.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to have your MOH carry a water bottle for you and remind you from time to time to rehydrate.  When you're getting ready, put baby powder anywhere you might worry about chafing as well.  Make sure your makeup artist is aware that you're going to need a makeup application to last through the heat.  If you're doing your own makeup, use a REALLY strong primer and Urban Decay's "All nighter" makeup spray to make your makeup last.
  • IMathlete said:
    @alisonmarie658, it would be a short ceremony. Less than 1/2 an hour. We are not religious, so it would just be a quick intro, vow exchange, rings, and a kiss. :-) And we will certainly have a seat for everyone! We'd add in cold bottled water and perhaps a mojito or other cool cocktail for guests upon arrival.

@lalalaurita We can move the ceremony to 7, but any later and we're really pushing dinner. I'd love to find another venue, but everything in our area is booked. This is the only date for a garden within an hour drive.
    If the ceremony isn't that long, I think your guests will be able to deal with the heat.  If I were you though, I'd be more concerned about YOUR comfort.  Wedding dresses are HOT.  It's not exactly uncommon for a bride to get dehydrated and feel faint because her dress is causing her to overheat.  (Sometimes the bride actually DOES faint for that reason).  As much as you work to make sure your guests are kept cool (With chairs and cold water and only being in the heat for a little bit, I really think they'll be fine.  Especially if a lot of them live in the southeast as well- they'll be used to the heat) Make sure you work to make sure YOU are kept cool, your dress will make you a lot hotter than any of your guests.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to have your MOH carry a water bottle for you and remind you from time to time to rehydrate.  When you're getting ready, put baby powder anywhere you might worry about chafing as well.  Make sure your makeup artist is aware that you're going to need a makeup application to last through the heat.  If you're doing your own makeup, use a REALLY strong primer and Urban Decay's "All nighter" makeup spray to make your makeup last.
    Good call! I swear by the All Nighter spray, it's good stuff but it has a dewey finish. Urban Decay also makes a makeup setting spray with a matte finish called Chill.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• IMathlete

I think you will thank yourself come that date.  Regardless of the temperature or how breathable your dress is, they are hot!  You are going to spend time (and probably money) on your hair and makeup...it would be miserable to have sweat dripping in your eyes and makeup running down your face.  
  • I didn't read every response, so sorry if someone already asked, but can you not have the ceremony in one of the indoor/covered areas?  Like the orchid conservatory?  It's a very beautiful venue all around, so I see want you want it, but everyone would be more comfortable indoors.  

You can always take pictures outside.

SaveSave
  • Add me to the "I would decline" list. My tolerance for heat and humidity may be somewhat low compared to others' (it physically makes me ill), but I think the general consensus here is that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. As an AZ resident, I understand being constrained by the weather and disappointment over venues, but I would absolutely look for another place to get married. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards