Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date etiquette

I was wondering if it would be ok to send my save the dates out in my Christmas cards? 

Re: Save the Date etiquette

• I don`t think so.  They are two completely different things.
  • Since neither are required, it is fine to send them together or one in the same. But anyone who receives a STD must be invited, so be careful if you have two separate lists. GL :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Yes, it's fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • There is no etiquette problem with it, but it could present practical issues.  Of course, you only send the STD to those invited, so you'll need two lists.  Also, you run the risk of the STD getting thrown away with the Christmas cards after the season or just lost in the shuffle.  

Remember, STDs are never required.  If you don't have a lot of guests that need much advance notice (e.g. to make travel plans), it wouldn't be bad if they find out it's coming but they forget the exact date.  On the other hand, if most of your guests have to travel and will need more than the standard 6-8 invitation window, you may want to reconsider.  

• There is no etiquette problem with it, but it could present practical issues.  Of course, you only send the STD to those invited, so you'll need two lists.  Also, you run the risk of the STD getting thrown away with the Christmas cards after the season or just lost in the shuffle.  

Remember, STDs are never required.  If you don't have a lot of guests that need much advance notice (e.g. to make travel plans), it wouldn't be bad if they find out it's coming but they forget the exact date.  On the other hand, if most of your guests have to travel and will need more than the standard 6-8 invitation window, you may want to reconsider.  
    The bolded is why I wouldn't include STDs with Christmas cards.  And if you're not inviting everyone to the wedding that you're sending a Christmas card to, you also run the risk of sending an STD in the card of a non-wedding guest.
  • I agree that you may want to have two lists just to keep from sending someone a STD that you didn't plan on inviting. I just mailed my save the dates in my Christmas cards but most of those people are our out of town family. I think its a good way to inform the family and to save on stamps!
  • I myself wouldn't do this, because a lot of times the save-the-dates get lost or are not given the prominence they need when they're combined with other communications.

I realize people do this to save time and postage, but if it's really important to you that someone save the date, don't make assumptions about what they will and won't keep.  Send them a save-the-date that's separate from any other communication.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards