Wedding Etiquette Forum

Back Tracking on Bridal Party Accommodations...

I need some advice on how to go about handling the bridal party accommodations? We (myself and the fiance) had planned on putting up our "out of town" bridal party in a local hotel, but due to seriously unforeseen wedding expenses, we can no longer afford to put them up the entire weekend, which would be Friday, Saturday & Sunday, since we are getting married during MLK weekend and most people have Monday off. Would it be incredibly rude to only pay for Saturday night? This wouldn't be so horrible, if we hadn't already offered to put them up...ugh! I have a feeling everybody will say it is, but we are incredibly financially strapped at this point, since we are paying for literally the entire wedding ourselves.

Re: Back Tracking on Bridal Party Accommodations...

• Try cutting back somewhere. Cheaper catering option. Cheaper BM gift. Less flowers
  • Since you already offered... I'd check into other locations and see if maybe you could find more affordable accomodations. It's pretty rude to back pedal on what you told them. Do you know if they all want to stay for 3 nights? Maybe most of them only want to stay 1-2 nights anyhow?

• KendalS82 said:
    I need some advice on how to go about handling the bridal party accommodations? We (myself and the fiance) had planned on putting up our "out of town" bridal party in a local hotel, but due to seriously unforeseen wedding expenses, we can no longer afford to put them up the entire weekend, which would be Friday, Saturday & Sunday, since we are getting married during MLK weekend and most people have Monday off. Would it be incredibly rude to only pay for Saturday night? This wouldn't be so horrible, if we hadn't already offered to put them up...ugh! I have a feeling everybody will say it is, but we are incredibly financially strapped at this point, since we are paying for literally the entire wedding ourselves.
    Number one lesson I am sure you now know is to not offer something unless you are 100% certain you can stick to what you have said.

If you told them you can pay for their accommodations already you need to stick to that. Etiquette wise it is incredibly rude to offer to pay for something and then back out. This may mean sacrificing something from your wedding but unfortunately that's what will need to happen.

Is there anything you can cut that would be considered extra? Personally if I was a part of your wedding party and you cancelled on the accommodations then showed up in a couture dress I would be hurt. Not saying that this is what you are doing but it is food for thought I suppose.
  • KendalS82 said:
    If you have already told them about it then you are kind of stuck.  Can you cut back somewhere else or move them to a less expensive (but still nice) hotel?  

Can you confirm with your bridal party what nights they actually need/want to stay? Even if you offered three nights they may not be planning on staying all three nights.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Thank you for your input, I agree that Friday and Saturday should be covered. I guess the fiance and I need to really figure out what we can do. 
    Unfortunately, we had a serious illness in the family, and the financial support that was originally offered, could no longer be given. Which is very understandable.
  • Is there a way to rent/use a house for the weekend that would cost less than private rooms for everyone?    

For example, my sister's wedding was in the mountains.  She was able to rent a five bedroom cabin for less than half of what five hotel rooms would have cost.  
  • I think if you can figure out how to pay for the night before and after the wedding, you should be okay.
  • Is there a way to rent/use a house for the weekend that would cost less than private rooms for everyone?    

For example, my sister's wedding was in the mountains.  She was able to rent a five bedroom cabin for less than half of what five hotel rooms would have cost.  
    We had a bride do this--everybody (guys and girls) had a place to stay, and it was really nice. definitely check into that option.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards