Wedding Invitations & Paper

Address/Return labels

I've been reading some old threads about handwritten and labels on invitations. I understand you should hand write guests name/address on envelope. I was planning on writing addresses out, but I wanted to use labels for return and RSVP.

My questions are;  Can you handwrite guests address, but use a return label either on front or back of envelope? Or even use a stamp?

Can you use a label for RSVP? Do you write guests name as the return address for RSVP? or just place label and stamp on RSVP?

I also read something about outer and in side envelope, do you have to have 2 envelopes?

I was planning on writing names of guests on the response card, so there shouldn't be any confusion of who is invited from the envelope.

Thanks for helping :)

Re: Address/Return labels

• csmiles82 said:

I've been reading some old threads about handwritten and labels on invitations. I understand you should hand write guests name/address on envelope. I was planning on writing addresses out, but I wanted to use labels for return and RSVP.

My questions are;  Can you handwrite guests address, but use a return label either on front or back of envelope? Or even use a stamp? I would print the return address directly onto the back of the envelope. Most stationers can do this for you as part of the invitation suite or for an additional cost. If you go with a stamp, make sure it's a good quality one and matches the formality of the invitations and guest addresses.

Can you use a label for RSVP? Do you write guests name as the return address for RSVP? or just place label and stamp on RSVP? Again, I would print the address directly on the response card envelope as opposed to using a label.  Usually, the only address on this envelope is yours (or whoever is in charge of receiving RSVPs); there is no need to put guests' addresses.  You don't need to create unnecessary work for yourself. Guests should know to write their return addresses on the response envelope as they would on any mail they would send.

I also read something about outer and in side envelope, do you have to have 2 envelopes? You do not need to have two envelopes.  If you opt for just the one, all invited guests' names will be addressed on it.  

I was planning on writing names of guests on the response card, so there shouldn't be any confusion of who is invited from the envelope. Guests should know who is invited from the envelope.  If "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe" is on the envelope, then Mr. and Mrs. Doe know they are invited and not their two children.  If you're wanting to do this so you can keep track, just pencil in a small number on the back of the response card to indicate which family you've sent it to in case they don't write in their names.

• Is it really considered inappropriate to use a label to address the invites?  I am not particularly proud of my handwriting, and my fiance's is much worse. 
  • Is it really considered inappropriate to use a label to address the invites?  I am not particularly proud of my handwriting, and my fiance's is much worse. 

It is a victimless crime. Imho it is far more important for the post office to be able to read the address than it is for them to be hand written. If your penmanship is lacking, use labels. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Yea technically you're not supposed to use labels. I also see this as a victimless etiquette crime but you should know that others may not. If you use labels, definitely use clear over white.

We printed addresses right on the envelope. Still not great from an etiquette perspective but better than labels IMO and something to consider.
    *********************************************************************************

• csmiles82 said:

My questions are;  Can you handwrite guests address, but use a return label either on front or back of envelope? Or even use a stamp?

technically, you're suppose to hand write it all out. We're going use a stamp for our address however, save my hand a little. We're debating about printing on the envelopes names or writing them still.

Can you use a label for RSVP? Do you write guests name as the return address for RSVP? or just place label and stamp on RSVP?

Once again, it should be all written out etiquette wise (or print by printer, stamp). You don't have to write your guests name on the return location. Some write a number inside the envelope corresponding with their guest list this way if they come back, you still know who's it was.

I also read something about outer and in side envelope, do you have to have 2 envelopes?

Nope, you don't need two. Two are more formal, but a lot of wedding invites do not come with two anymore. Mine only has one with it and that's what we'll use. If you only have one envelope you just write Mr. and Mrs. James Smith on the envelope then their address. If you had an inner, you'd write James & Emily and nothing else

I was planning on writing names of guests on the response card, so there shouldn't be any confusion of who is invited from the envelope.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards