Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Soo My Mom is Going to Be Our Officiant!

Which means a totally customized ceremony!
Does anyone have ideas as to how to write a ceremony, what to include, what not to include?

Re: Soo My Mom is Going to Be Our Officiant!

• We wrote our wedding ceremony. It went like this:

Invocation
    Opening Prayer
    Marriage Address
    Readings
    Wedding Ritual
    Vows and Ring Exchange
    Final Blessing/Pronouncement
    Recessional

The whole thing was about 20 minutes
    *********************************************************************************

• I am way too much of a crier to get through that.  This MOB would blubber like a baby all the way through.
  • I googled and found several websites. This was the most helpful http://dfwx.com/master.html. There are examples of lots of different types of ceremonies. I pulled sections I liked, got info from some other websites and then messaged the words for each type of thing we wanted to include. We are not religious, so here is our outline:

• Introduction
    • Wedding Vows
    • Ring Ceremony vows
    • Apache blessing
    • Unity candle ceremony
    • Rose ceremony
    • Breaking of the glass (marriage symbolism borrowed from Jewish culture)
    • Introduction as Husband and wife
    • Recessional

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    hutchsl said:

I googled and found several websites. This was the most helpful http://dfwx.com/master.html. There are examples of lots of different types of ceremonies. I pulled sections I liked, got info from some other websites and then messaged the words for each type of thing we wanted to include. We are not religious, so here is our outline:

• Introduction
    • Wedding Vows
    • Ring Ceremony vows
    • Apache blessing
    • Unity candle ceremony
    • Rose ceremony
    • Breaking of the glass (marriage symbolism borrowed from Jewish culture)
    • Introduction as Husband and wife
    • Recessional

I strongly recommend that you don't borrow this idea from Judaism.  Contrary to what you may have read, it does not represent good luck or bonding between husband and wife.  It has a specific Jewish religious connotation of grief and suffering and is not appropriate outside a Jewish wedding or done by anyone other than the groom.
  • That is so awesome, congratulations! My sister actually was our officiant. I agree with PPs, check with your county what the laws and requirements are for getting officiated. My H and I had so much fun writing our script. My sister is normally a very quiet person and doesn't like to speak publicly very often but she asked us outright if she could do it for us. She did a wonderful job and the guests at the reception kept complimenting her!
  • My FH's grandpa get remarried by a friend so they were able to help us with figuring out how to get my momma qualified.  $75 and a totally customized ceremony with someone we know! Thanks for everyone's input. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards