Chit Chat

Planning the bridal shower...

I know that by tradition, the maid of honor is supposed to plan the bridal shower. Originally, I was going to have a good friend plan the bridal shower, because my maid of honor is my fiancé's daughter and she's only 14. Well, my friend told me the other day that she and her family are moving out of state. I thought about maybe asking my mom and my FMIL to plan it, because they both want to be involved with the planning process, and we want them both involved as well. I know a lot of times they are surprises but I don't like surprises. I don't necessarily have to be in control, I just like to know what's going on, not just with this but with most aspects of my life. Also, I, like many other women I'm sure, have been dreaming about my wedding since I was old enough to know what a wedding was. I've always looked forward to experiencing all aspects of the wedding/getting married process, and I've always been excited about having a bridal shower. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, is it ok to delegate someone to plan it ? Is it unheard of for the bride to have a handle in the planning of the shower? I don't know... to see it written down sort of makes it seem stupid... thoughts?

Re: Planning the bridal shower...

• jaghdr28 said:
    I know that by tradition, the maid of honor is supposed to plan the bridal shower. Originally, I was going to have a good friend plan the bridal shower, because my maid of honor is my fiancé's daughter and she's only 14. Well, my friend told me the other day that she and her family are moving out of state. I thought about maybe asking my mom and my FMIL to plan it, because they both want to be involved with the planning process, and we want them both involved as well. I know a lot of times they are surprises but I don't like surprises. I don't necessarily have to be in control, I just like to know what's going on, not just with this but with most aspects of my life. Also, I, like many other women I'm sure, have been dreaming about my wedding since I was old enough to know what a wedding was. I've always looked forward to experiencing all aspects of the wedding/getting married process, and I've always been excited about having a bridal shower. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, is it ok to delegate someone to plan it ? Is it unheard of for the bride to have a handle in the planning of the shower? I don't know... to see it written down sort of makes it seem stupid... thoughts?
    1. No.

2. No.

3. Lurk a little here before you post something like this. A bridal shower is not part of the getting married process. That involves you and your FI and your officiant. That's it. No one is entitled to a shower, no matter how long she has been planning her wedding.

4. IF -- and ONLY IF -- your mother and FMIL offer to throw a shower for you, you may GRACIOUSLY accept and be as involved in the planning as they want you to be. But since THEY would be the hostesses, that means letting them do things their way.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Absolutely not. You don't tell people to throw you a party.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You can NOT make someone throw you a party. If they offer to do so, then that is fine. Also your Maid of Honor is NOT required to do anything but show up on time to your wedding in her dress and shoes. And honestly, if you don't get a party it is not the end of the world. Your wedding will still be amazing. Also I agree with @HisGirlFriday13. You should lurk around the boards first. Sometimes you find answers to your questions that someone else had already asked. 
  • Ok. Thanks for the input ladies! Happy Thanksgiving.
  • @jaghdr28  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards